Close

Default contour-mystique fan into a 1984?

hi..thinking of change the stock fan in my 1984 for a dual fan cabinet from a 95 contour.. anyone around here that can give any advice?

Have one on my 83 with a flexalite controller. Works great on cooling, but as my other post says..it drags on the stock alt too much as any electric fan would.

I can snap some pics later of my install if you want. I mounted it by using some L shaped aluminum brackets pop riviting to the bottom of the fan. The brackets then fit into the factory mount in the core. The top of the fan is held in with those zip tie things you get at the parts store.
    1984 SVO - .63 T3/T4, NPR, LA3, Boport 1.5
    1984 GT - 306

I'm a fan of the flexalite flex fan with under drive pulleys on our cars. By the time you factor
    in the electric fans and 3g alternator drag you've gained little power.

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    I'm a fan of the flexalite flex fan with under drive pulleys on our cars. By the time you factor
    in the electric fans and 3g alternator drag you've gained little power.
    You really don't gain power with an electric fan upgrade. You just loose the drag of the mechanical fan. With the electrical fan you just free up existing HP in the RPM's.

I did a before and after with my GT. There was no HP gain at all.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

That's why I like the flexalite flex fans with under drive pulleys. The combo is good for 15 HP
    and works very well on street cars. As soon as you rev the engine you can see the fan blades
    flatten out, that coupled with the under drive gives a nice little gain. The only time the electric
    fans offer a gain in HP is when they are turned off and cause no drag on the alternator. That's
    good for drag racing, but not as useful on a street car.

With the flexlitefan controller the fan isn't on most of the time..it cycles when it hits the temp range you have set. I can run a full autox run with the fan off, then if kicks on after the run and cools the car down.
    1984 SVO - .63 T3/T4, NPR, LA3, Boport 1.5
    1984 GT - 306