Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Also as as a FYI for you bargin shoppers, the 500 cfm AFB is the same as the 1405 & 1406(both 600 CFM) it comes with smaller jets and rods. These don't show up often, but usually the go for cheap becuase people assume they are "small" carbs and good for only little motors. When in fact they have the physical demensions as the 600.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Blainer View Post
    It started after holding the pedal down a little and stayed running and runs great. It gets the problem if it sits awhile after running then I try to start it.

-Should I look at fuel pressure even though it is a factory spec one for a 1983 5.0?
    -Spark plugs and wires are new and all check out.
    -Timing I still have to concider but it runs so good after I get going.
    -It starts better when its cold
    -Another issue I might have is my fuel line gets pretty warm by the waterneck and intake(its not touching but it gets pretty warm)
    -The Carb is brand new and the floats are good.

I hope I am not invading this post with my prob.
    You should also verify which location your accelerator pump is positioned.The linkage at the accel. pump should have 3 holes. The "S" hook that attaches the linkage to the pump arm. I think it should be in the middle position. If the carb has been apart for rebuilding or cleaning this could've been put back in the wrong slot, likely the upper hole. This could also cause a hard start condition, but not affect anything when running.

Good luck, Robert.

FEP Senior Member

I have had a few small problems like it doesnt always want to start after it sits awhile. Other than that I have never had a Holley run as good. Never even messed with the mixture out of the box. I have no cats on my 83 and I get water drips out the tailpipe. I will never mess with the settings or go Holley again.

I WAS HAVING PROBLEMS AND THIS HELPED , WHAT GAS MILEAGE YOU GET WITH THIS CARB?

i'm going to bring this one back from the dead.

i have been tuning my 1406 for the past week with my wideband and i cannot for the life of me see how a n/a 5.0 would run ideally on any of the tunes laid out in the 1405 tuning chart.

my combo:
    .020" over 302
    world windsor jr heads, shaved .012", lightly ported, bowl blended
    typhoon dual plane intake
    comp .528"/.528", 235/235@.050", 110 lsa mechanical flat tappet cam
    1.6rr
    1-5/8" bbk lts with 2.5 exhaust

i have both the 1406 and 1405 tuning kits. i was running tune #2 on the 1406 chart with .098" secondary jets center hole for the accelerator pump, and i thought everything was fine except for my 15mpg highway mileage. i was pretty wrong. at cruise the car was running at 12.8:1. wot it was at 10:1 and idling at 12.8:1.

i went straight to tune #7 with the same secondary jets. it was still pig rich at wot, but i was getting around 13:1 at cruise. went to tune 12 and was hitting 17:1 at wot...

then i changed it out for tune #13. this tune ran like junk at first, i had to put the accelerator pump linkage in the lowest hole for more enrichment because i could see it was dipping way lean with any kind of initial throttle. at cruise the afr was in check during the daytime heat, but this tune ended up being very lean in the cool air at cruise. my wot was still a little rich but not too bad. this tune didn't transition very smoothly at all.

i decided to try tune #12 again. i was scared so i threw in the .104" secondary jets. i then found out my earlier problems were due to carb heat soak. the car was running 13.8-15.5 cruising in the cool air at night which is primarily when this car gets driven. at wot though i was seeing 10:1 and a lot of smoke out the tail at wot, so i stepped it down to .092" secondaries. ratio was around 10.8-11:1, still too rich, but it is hot and humid right now. i then put the smallest jets i have in the secondaries, the .089" ones. i saw around 11.1-11.3 at wot in this humid stuff.

i want the car to run on the money in the cool air at night, and be rich during the humidity of the day when i usually don't drive the car. this way it's safe. i have decided i am not touching the metering rods, primary jets or springs anymore. i may play with the springs later on. i am using the 8" silver springs. i'm going to order the .077", .080", .083",.086" jets and the 1453, 1458 metering rods just in case. once i get the cruise ant wot where they need to be, i'm going to play with the rich idle.

i believe edelbrock setup these tuning tables on a much larger engine, probably a 350 chev. i'm at the bottom of the 1406 chart and i'm going to be right off the secondary metering chart.

i'll keep you guys posted. i should have bought this wideband years ago. it would have paid for itself several times over with the fuel i was senselessly throwing away.

cale
    Last edited by cb84capri; 06-21-2011 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's84 View Post
    Also as as a FYI for you bargin shoppers, the 500 cfm AFB is the same as the 1405 & 1406(both 600 CFM) it comes with smaller jets and rods. These don't show up often, but usually the go for cheap becuase people assume they are "small" carbs and good for only little motors. When in fact they have the physical demensions as the 600.
    according to my edelbrock tuning manual, the 500 cfm 1403 and 1404 are the same deal as well.

i find it interesting that off the 1403-1406 carbs, the 1406 has the largest accelerator pump nozzle diameter. the 1406 is also the only performer series carb with 4" step up springs stock. the 1403-1405 carb differences are limited to jets and metering rod combinations according to my manual.
    glad you pointed this out. time to go bargain shopping lol!

cale

alright, so in 70* weather, 73% humidity pressure at 29.68" around 581ft altitude at wot 1406 chart tune #12 with .089" secondaries my a/f ratio hangs around 11.6 at wot and drops to 12.0 at high rpm before i shift. cruise still looks good. it was hotter out the other day when i was playing with the tune.

also, my idle a/f ratio is around 13.2-13.3 in this cool air. gotta go leaner on the secondaries still. the leaner i go the faster it feels. the smaller jets should be here soon.

cale

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's84 View Post
    i looked into this a little bit more. apparently the venturis are larger in the 500s to inhibit airflow.

cale

Redneck Riviera, Fort Walton Beach Florida

I've got a carter carb manual that has charts that are far better then those by edelbrock. I think I can scan and post them up here sometime this weekend. BTW, I had a 600 edlebrock and swapped on a 750 edelbrock. After some minor tuning the car ran so much better, more responsive, faster at the track, and mileage stayed the same. This was in an 84 LTD wagon, with a 302, ported heads, RPM intake, and shorty headers.
    1985 LTD LX, Mach1 brakes, 17" Mopar police car wheels. 302, T5, 4.10s
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1986 FHP coupe, stock shortblock, TW heads, Holley SMII intake, 4.88, T5Z
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

Quote Originally Posted by David Claflin View Post
    I've got a carter carb manual that has charts that are far better then those by edelbrock. I think I can scan and post them up here sometime this weekend. BTW, I had a 600 edlebrock and swapped on a 750 edelbrock. After some minor tuning the car ran so much better, more responsive, faster at the track, and mileage stayed the same. This was in an 84 LTD wagon, with a 302, ported heads, RPM intake, and shorty headers.
    i'd be very interested in seeing those if you don't mind doing that David!

i'm starting to find that the edelbrock charts aren't all that accurate. i takes a lot of trial and error. for instance, on the 1406 chart tune #13 runs way leaner in cruise than tune #12 does. realistically #13 should be shown one full stage leaner in cruise.

i'll see where tune #14 should be as well since i have the metering rods coming in for it.

cale

Cam/vacuum also plays a role in the cruise mixture.

The more cam (less vacuum) the stiffer the springs need to be.

Redneck Riviera, Fort Walton Beach Florida

See if you like this better then the Edelbrock type
    [IMG][/IMG]
    1985 LTD LX, Mach1 brakes, 17" Mopar police car wheels. 302, T5, 4.10s
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1986 FHP coupe, stock shortblock, TW heads, Holley SMII intake, 4.88, T5Z
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

thanks for posting that up David! so at cruise, my effective orifice opening in .020" in cruise and .048" at wot.

i have been tuning the car again today with my new jets. i immediately went straight to the .077" secondary jets. at wot i was seeing ratios ranging from 12.9-13.4. that was just a little leaner than i wanted, so i stopped and swapped out the .075 x .047 rods (tune #12) for my new .075 x .037 rods (tune #14). wot was spot on, about 12.5-13.1. cruise was way to rich at around 12.8-13.2. funny because according to both the edelbrock and carter literature it should be the same in cruise, yet i was seeing one full point richer. this is in 77* weather, 60% humidity, 895' elevation and a pressure of 29.97.

so i went back to tune #12 and swapped in some .083" secondary jets. i think this is where it needs to be. i'll find out later tonight for sure. this one has gotta be the right tune.

cale

ok, stopped tuning the carb for awhile because it was running too hot (bad radiator). i ran the .083" secondary jets for awhile and found it was still a bit richer than i wanted to see at wot. i went back the .077"s. again, i would see the occasional blip of 13.4 on my wideband. i put the .080" jets in, and the car is spot on now. usually i see around 12.6-13.1 at wot. perfect!

i turned my air bleeds in about a 1/4 turn each and now it idles ~14:1. i'm happy with it a little on the rich side of 14.7:1.

there is still more tuning i want to do though. accelerating at part throttle it goes around 11.8:1 and stays pretty fat. when i mash it the afr goes way lean for a second. without the gauge i wouldn't think anything of it, there is no drive-ability feedback whatsoever. i'm still using the 8" springs. i tried the 7" spring and it was getting a lean bog. i set the pump shot to full stroke and it didn't help much. i left the pump shot and went back to the 8"s. the next thing i'm doing is buying the 1475 accelerator pump nozzle kit. i've come to the conclusion that i'm not getting enough pump shot, and i'm compensating for this with too heavy of a metering spring. i'll be putting this theory to the test soon.

1406s use a .031" accelerator pump nozzle. the other 500/600 cfm eddys use .028"s if i recall correctly. i think the larger nozzle is how they ran the 4" springs with the stock calibration. i'm going to go straight for the .043" and see what happens, hoping to be able to step down the metering springs after this.

this tuning procedure has been a lot of fun! i haven't figured out my fuel mileage yet, but the gas seems to stay in the tank a lot longer than before!

cale

Great information here, I'll have to refer to this when I switch over to my 1405.

Question for a Edelbrock newbie.......I bought a FILA thunderbird from Varn and it has been converted to a carb from CFI..... I am having probs with smell.....When I got the car it had some hesistation and would bog. I've done a little adjusting and that seems gone, but i'm now getting bad smells out the exhaust.....sorta like the rotten egg smell. Any ideas, and do you think the carb could be causing this?

Sean
    United We 'Stang

'79 Capri RS Turbo (Original and Running)
    '79 Capri Roller (Project - needs parts)
    '83 GT 5.0 T-Top (Project - Running) (Currently the restoration victim)
    '85 GT 5.0 Vert (Project)
    '84 SVO (Project - Not Running)
    '86 SVO (Project - Running)

Former Mustangs

'71 Mach1 429 (Sold - Still Missed) ..... '73 Grande 351c (Sold)
    '75 Mustang II Mach1 (Sold) .............. '83 GLX Vert (Wrecked)
    '83 GLX Vert (Rusted away) ............... '83 GT T-Top (Parted and Scrapped)
    '85 GT T-Top (Sold) ........................... '86 Hatchback (Sold)
    '84 Thunderbird FILA Edition (Sold)

Does it still have cats? If so, sounds like the idle is rich.

PS _

To lean the idle mixture the screws go in (they control the amount of fuel not air)
    Last edited by PaceFever79; 08-19-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteRI View Post
    Question for a Edelbrock newbie.......I bought a FILA thunderbird from Varn and it has been converted to a carb from CFI..... I am having probs with smell.....When I got the car it had some hesistation and would bog. I've done a little adjusting and that seems gone, but i'm now getting bad smells out the exhaust.....sorta like the rotten egg smell. Any ideas, and do you think the carb could be causing this?

Sean
    what adjusting have you done to it? i was wondering what became of that car. it looked like a beaut and the price was definitely fair.

anyways to add to what i have posted in here, my car wants the .075"x.047" rods with the .095" primary jets, and .080" secondary jets in my 1406 with 8" springs. i'm using the .043" squirters on the maximum stroke. for power and drive-ability i can say for certain this is my car's ideal combo with this carb.

i tried the .073"x.042" rods in the .092" primary jets. i had to jet the the secondaries up to .086" even though this SHOULD be a richer setup in power (i did all the math). could have maybe gone with the .089" even, with the .080" secondaries in place it was hitting 13.4:1 at wot, too lean. at cruise it was around 15.5-16:1. while i liked this a lot, i could NOT compensate for the lean bog transitioning into power at all. the accelerator pump would hit, and then it'd spike 18:1.... i even tried springs i had that are stiffer than the edelbrock 8", but it just wouldn't pull out of power mode if the rpms exceeded 1700. no good. if i was to make a long trip with the car for mileage i would probably throw this setup in it with 8" springs. easing into the gas the lean bog wasn't as pronounced, but when i want go pedal down i want go pedal down, lol!

this also explains why any off the shelf edelbrock carb has such small squirters in it, because they run them rich in cruise mode so that they don't have to bridge as much of a gap as mine does. they have to do it this way though.

what i did learn through all of this is that the math will show you the next closest combination to run, but the flow of the next closest setup is not exactly a linear relationship. i don't know what the edelbrock tuning charts are based off of, but their numbers don't agree with my numbers... it is all trial and error. my ideal setup runs anywhere from 13.6-15.2 in cruise. at 75mph @ 2200ish rpm it hovers around 13.6-14.2ish, and the weather does make a difference. the other tune was just too much of a gap for this carb to bridge.

i calculated out my average mpg recently with my ideal setup, and it was 15.5mpg. not too shabby, especially considering i was pounding on the car a great deal of the time. best mileage i ever got before this was 15mpg on a highway only trip taking it easy. i'm going to try and locate some old carter .076"x.049" rods to try as well.

i just finished rebuilding a carter 9627 afb, and an edelbrock 1407. i'm going to try these carbs on my engine and the best performing carb stays on. i have done a ton of reading and all these carb manufacturer's suggested carb sizes for a certain size engine and a certain max rpm are based on achieving 1.5inHg at wot. according to this book i am reading, power output will improve 5% if you select a carb that will operate ~.5inHg at wot, because the carb creates less of a restriction to airflow. apparently .5inHg is enough for a good booster signal. we'll see what happens when each one is tuned to run ideally on my engine.

cale

Default For the first time tuners

Note; The methods used to arrive at a good carb tune may be useful for others to follow,
    but the actual settings will vary with atmospheric and engine combination.

When tuning, start from the beginning, making sure that all other engine systems are in
    good working order (ignition, vacuum leaks, etc) then go from there.

There is no shortcut or universal tune setup!

Quote Originally Posted by Blainer View Post
    Does anyone have pictures of how they routed a braided line or rubber line from the pump to the carb to give me some ideas. I want it to look nice and neat. Thanks.
    +1-I'd like to get some ideas too!

I don't have a clear pic handy, but I can describe my routing.

I have braided line with AN fittings coming from the mechanical fuel pump,
    from there it goes up to a hose hang loop on the top front valve cover bolt,
    then it follows the valley to the rear of the motor and then loops around the
    back of the carb, where it meets an inline filter, then a right angle AN fitting
    with a swivel joint into the carb bowl. I did it this way to keep the line away
    from the distributor and make it clean looking as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    There is no shortcut or universal tune setup!
    the most universal setting is the one these carbs come out of the box with, that hides everything under a blanket of fuel.

here's the most recent picture of mine:

here are some older ones before i cleaned other things up a bit:

it's the edelbrock 8134 carb line, 1725 pump with the bottom feed plate, and their braided carb hose kit for sbf. i had to swap a fitting on the carb line to work, and grind a section of the bottom feed plate to clear the corner of my stock oil pan. i wouldn't buy their braided hose again, i'd just buy the russel stuff and make my own.

cale

Thanks guys! I've been searching summit to pick out a fuel line kit

Skrilla

I know this thread is old however, I just wanted to say that I was having throttle problems with my new Edelbrock 1406 and using the 1405 stock springs, rods, and jets worked like a charm. My truck now runs better than it did with my Holley and really better than it has since I've bought it.

If the OP reads this, thanks a bunch man.

Subscribing for the excellent info. I can apply the "concept" to tuning the Holley 5200 2-bbl on my N/A 2.3-liter 4-banger.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast