Close

Question Connecting Rod Bolts, Bolt Kits

Does anyone know where I can find a connecting rod bolt kit for my '83 3.8 sixer? I am not sure of the application cross reference but the only info I have been able to find online is for the 3.8 Supercoupe. I am wondering if one of the V8 kits can be used on the 3.8? I snapped one off as I was tightening down the bottom end. A blessing in disguise I guess since it probably wouldn't have lasted too long after running the car.

call arp 1-800-826-3045 they maybe able to help.

Getting it straight from the horse's mouth is always best! But I did call and they suggested the following: Take one bolt and take its dimensions (length, diameter, pitch angle, etc.) and note its head type. I worked in aerospace for 14 years so all of this fastener gobbldygook is old hat to me. But it does seem a little complex. They even have ford 2.3 pinto bolts but no NA 3.8? What gives?

FEP Senior Member

i pulled out my 1985 manual and i can't find where it tells me the rod bolt type. sorry.

the other solution is to go to a machine shop. especially a high performance machine shop, problably they may be able to help.my question is how much difference is on the 3.8 supercoupe bolts to yours. thats probably why they told you to messure yours. they may be the same, you never know. good luck

I ended up going to the shop that rebuilt my heads ($98 for both!). They had an application catalog about as thick as a phone book. Pioneer brand part number was CRB-260 for the bolt and CRN-140 for the nut. Each bolt was $1.40 and each nut was $.29. Total cost including the near immoral California state sales tax of 10% was $22.23 .
    Installation was a breeze as well. I simply gave the old bolts a few whacks with a ballpeen hammer and they came right out. The new bolts were installed in a similar fashion.

im glad you were able to resolve.your problem, cheers!!!

When changing the rod bolts you need to get the rods resized, as the rod can become distorted from removing the old bolts.

Glad you mentioned that, TripleHmotorsports, I plan to do just that. I have some pretty neat measuring eqiupment (mics, calipers, etc.). Everything will get measured before going in. Anything out of tolerance will get machined or otherwise delt with. My aim is to rebuild the stock 3.8 slug between the fenders in order to have a fun weekend ride. Hence no fancy ($$$$$) internals this time around.