Close

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thanks Pete. I do need the earlier bumper shocks and metal or aluminum bumper, right now the nose is sitting on a broken 87+ bumper and shocks. I honestly just shook the can for a minute or two in all directions, and it came out perfect. All I did to the trim I painted was to clean it and use a burgundy scotch brite pad on it. It came out a nice satin finish, yours should be the same.

I highly recommend the procedure of painting all your trim. Do your upper mouldings, mirrors and trim in satin black (or the appropriate grey). I had to do this regardless because of the aero quarter glass and interior panels, plus it goes better with the T Tops and all in black. Even on a car with a tired paintjob, nicely painted trim will make any car look that much better.

On another note, I've got the dash and heater box assembly in. The holes I had to cut into the firewall are a little bit off, but I'll be doing some patch work later on anyway to clean up the 79-86 holes as the 87+ is completely different. I ran the car, burped the cooling system, played with the carb a bit and did a little cleaning up. I will have the interior in this weekend, minus a carpet and headliner.
    1986 GT T-Top 5.0, waiting on trans and IRS swap.
    1988 GT Ragtop, 5.0, T5, 3.73, 03 Cobras with Nittos
    1989 LX Ragtop, 5.0, AOD, shift kit, Pony wheels, baby cam, X pipe and Flowbasterds.
    1984 SVO needs TLC

86 50CPRI

thanks for the quick reply..funny you mention the burgundy scotchbrite..as I bought one of those today,with the other can of SEM!
    As far as the gloss goes,I guess I need to look at it in better light. I snapped a few photos recently near sundown,and I have been working on the pass side of the car: naturally keeping that side in the shade(100* + today,and cloudy) so maybe I'm just not seeing it right,yet.
    I am going to load a few of these in my album right away.

Pete

86 50CPRI

a little before and after:

I have been doing a little every day-not your kind of transformation,but its progress nonetheless.

Pete

Nice, what a difference! Go at your own pace, fortunately (or unfortunately) I have only been in this new city for 2 years and have mostly made gear-head friends. So I dont spend my time hitting the clubs and bars as often as I used to, now I come home and work on my car when I can and feel like it.... then pass out early and wake up at 5:30am so I can get to work on time!!!! Plus I'm very motivated to get this thing going, I work at a race shop and right now I'm the only guy without a performance vehicle on the road!

Keep going with that Capri of yours, I hope it's got the RS front valence! I think the Capri is one of the nicest cars to come out of the 80's (or 70's depending how you look at it). Do all your trim one bit at a time and you'll be so happy once it's all done. If you're strapped for cash and know how to do some *good* body work, then get some rattle cans of Tremclad and bomb the car. The most important thing I always stress is prep work, and masking. Even a ****ty rattle can job can turn out well if you take some time to prep the car. Remove any lights, mirrors, trim, windows and anything else that would interfere, prep the body or just lightly scuff it with the Scotch brite pads then just tape it up and spray it. The folks at my shop are going to freak out when they see my car, it's a HUGE departure from when most of them saw it last!
    SS
    1989 LX Ragtop, 5.0, AOD, shift kit, Pony wheels, baby cam, X pipe and Flowbasterds.
    1984 SVO needs TLC

86 50CPRI

of course it does!

The air dam was the first thing I hit with the SEM.I did it free hand,I was real anxious.I didn't go to high on the moulding,as it still has the pin stripes(which are coming off slowly-but sure) but I wanted to be sure to get the primer spots surrounding my fogs.I didn't mask anything at that point.As I turned the corner on the pass side,gaining confidence,I started to mask,did a little wet sanding, and it came out real nice.Up on the upper trim and sail,it got the scuffing and masking,as did the pass rear lower quarter.I 've got to say,the results are outstanding!
    I will be tackling the rear bumper this weekend,which does not need alot,but the tail light alcoves are pretty sad.The rear window trim also needs a good dose of attention.The drivers side will be last,as it needs the most help,but by the time I get there,I will be more experienced,more confident, so it will not be a problem. I'll probably finish up with the air dam again,only with more prep this time.

How does the trim come off--both the rear window and windshield? Never done those.I've pulled the side panels,but not window trim.

thanks for the encouragement! Not meaning to hijack the thread,by any means..just sharing what you have inspired me to do!

Pete

Screw the pin stripes! Just give it a good scuff and respray the whole thing. I'm not sure how the trim comes off on the bubble back, but on the windshield you'd be better off with a window trim remover. I use two screwdrivers, one to carefully pry the trim so I can see where the snaps are located so I can push on them to release the piece. Is all of your trim originally dark grey? Even around the windows and T tops? I'm very happy that my project could motivate you, do you have a build thread on the site? Post up a link!

I've gotten a bit more work done on the car. Most of the interior is now in, I still have to secure a few things under the dash, buy a carpet within the next couple of weeks, and also recover my headliner.

The car hasn't been this far out of the garage in months!

I still have to repaint over the primer in the passenger's side door jamb:

Back seats in the car for the first time in 6 years:

Front seats bolted in:

A couple shots of the front nose:

1984 SVO needs TLC

Looking good man, is not the first time a see this car

86 50CPRI

What you've done with this car in such a short time is awesome!Keep it rolling!

Pete

FEP Super Member

Definately looking good!
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."
    1979 Mustang Indy Pace 2.3T/4spd (sold on 1/10/16)
    1983 GLX vert 3.8/auto (triple black, sold on 10/8/13)
    1984 (early) Turbo GT (parts SLOWLY coming together)
    1985 Coupe 4.6L DOHC/IRS swapped (sold 9/10/17)
    1986 GT TTop 5spd (sold as of 10/8/13)
    1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe (Cobra IRS/Brakes/big turbo project)

I did a little more work today. I changed shifters from the old B+M Ripper to a much newer Pro 5.0 unit, temporarily dropped in the lower center console, hooked up the gauges inside, set the fuel pressure (haven't been able to find my old 0-15psi gauge so I had to use the 0-100 psi EFI gauge) and tidied up some odds and ends.
    Here's an update from today:

1984 SVO needs TLC

Quote Originally Posted by stang88 View Post
    Looking good man, is not the first time a see this car
    Hey man, I hope you're putting my old hood to good use!!! Hopefully when my car is finished we can go to Napierville with some of the other local Mustangs.
    SS
    1984 SVO needs TLC

Quote Originally Posted by Syco Stang View Post
    Hey man, I hope you're putting my old hood to good use!!! Hopefully when my car is finished we can go to Napierville with some of the other local Mustangs.
    SS
    I love 4 eye, keep putting picture on this post, and for napierville it was cool to go with other fox body

Some more pics from today:

Take a look up a few pictures and you'll see the paint/primer covered T Tops. I went to Home Depot and bought some supplies, razor blades and steel wool were on the list. I wound up buying steel wool that was too fine, but with the razor blades and some careful scraping I was able to get most of the overspray off, the steel wool wound up working perfectly to get the glass nice and clean. Here are a couple of 'after' shots:

I'm also getting extremely tired of always looking for tools, so I bought some board and a few hangers so I can start getting organized. I have to buy a lot more hangers, and I'll probably get some more 2x4's to reinforce the whole setup.
    1984 SVO needs TLC

keep up the good work it looks like she is almost ready to completely leave the garage!
    No Longer a 4I Owner
    But Have way too much 4I stuff Collecting Dust.

86 50CPRI

very nice on the Ttops.Almost there!

pete

Just an update:

I havent had time to work on the car recently, I just finished doing a motor and trans swap on my convertible so I'm POOPED! The good news is that I just bought some used 5 bolt 28 spline hardened axles, 15x5" Weld Pro Stars and I'll be ordering a set of Summit Stars 15x10s with 6.5" back spacing and running my current 195-65 and 265-50-15 tires on those wheels, respectively. It's taking away from the stock-ish look I wanted for the car, but it's a hell of a deal and the complete 5 bolt conversion and wheels are going to cost me less than $450!!! I'll post up pics once the parts start arriving.
    SS
    1984 SVO needs TLC

FEP Super Member

Coming together nicely.
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."

I haven't had time to work on the car lately, I've been putting most of my time into the '88 convertible as it's time to finish her and put it up for sale. Work is STILL extremely busy, the boss hired another guy actually, and we've been pounding away on all sorts of cars. It was a holiday here today, but since I went out last night and had a few too many, I lost the whole day due to 'rest'. It felt like I was wearing a bobble head, and didn't eat my first meal 'til 8pm. Ouch.

The convertible is out now being sprayed '10 Mazda 3 Celestial Blue from it's current 'Royal Blue'. I'll be posting pics of my '86 with the wheels from the '88 next week, they're chrome 17x9" 4 bolt '03 Cobra replicas. I also bought a set of '06 Mustang GT 17" torq thrust style wheels, I may try those on when I convert the car to 5 lug. I'm also starting to look for a set of 17x8 '98 Cobra wheels, I just love that look on the 85-86s so to hell with the stock appearance idea. I guess now it's 'stock appearance with upgraded wheels'. Since the car is getting an IRS next year anyway, I may as well get the jump on having the right wheels!
    SS
    1984 SVO needs TLC

I just got back from Toronto, where I dropped off a set of GT40 heads I had sold and I managed to get pretty much everything I need to finish off my car!!!!!

I bought a mint '86 hood, very good shape body side mouldings, nice shape GT front bumper cover with ALL lights and harnesses, the metal front bumper, fog light bracket with some aftermarket fog lights attached, a pair of nice side spats and all the miscellaneous nuts and bolts. I managed to get all of this for pretty much nothing, I traded for a set of 1.6 roller rockers I got off of my other car when I reverted it back to stock! I've got some painting to do over the next little while, stay tuned I'll post pics of all the parts I scored!!!
    SS
    1984 SVO needs TLC

86 50CPRI

What a tease!!!
    Tell us all about new goodies,and say pics to come..... sheesh!

Here you go:

I didn't take any pics of the front nose since it was dark out.......
    1984 SVO needs TLC

86 50CPRI

nice haul!!

Just read this thread from begining. Man you have the patience of a saint and the perseveriance of a bulldog. Can't wait to see the finished product roll out of the shop. 351w I would love to have a ride in that! 302 60 over in mine is scarey enough. Post a vid with the car running, I know we would all like to hear it as well as see it.
    HAULING ASS AND BURNING GAS
    BECKY

1980 Mecury Capri 5.0

FEP Super Member

Good score on the parts. Looks like you are moving forward nicely.

Thanks! 60over, I certainly don't think it's patience. It's more that I lie to myself, if you read this thread from the beginning you'd know I stated on several occasions that it'd be ready in a couple of weeks lol! I still think it'll be a couple of weeks, but now I've only got to rewire the headlights, 5 lug conversion, find a pair of front tires for the new wheels, fix the emergency brake cable and finish fastening the interior panels.

Turns out I still had the '79-86 front bumper shocks.

Front bumper installed, fog light bracket not.....

Wiring and relays for the front headlight wiring, and my 05+ GT wheels.

Five lug hardened 28 spline axles

Got my upper back from the machinist, he put a notch in it. I am unsure if it will clear.

Beyond that, I just bought a pair of Torq Thrust II's from the site and I now have a complete set of 5 lug 17x9.5" wheels with 6.38" backspacing. I'm curious to see if it will clear on the front, I wonder if the narrower K member will help or detract from the clearance. I planned on running the Weld's anyway, but we'll see what happens.
    1984 SVO needs TLC

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast