Close

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

It's a Pro Products knock off, the casting is horrible but at least I have the tools to clean it up and open it a bit.
    Now that I think about it, those wheels I got are 17x9.5" with a 6.38" back space. Does anyone know off hand if those will clear with 5 lug fox length axles??
    1986 GT T-Top 5.0, waiting on trans and IRS swap.
    1988 GT Ragtop, 5.0, T5, 3.73, 03 Cobras with Nittos
    1989 LX Ragtop, 5.0, AOD, shift kit, Pony wheels, baby cam, X pipe and Flowbasterds.
    1984 SVO needs TLC

Good luck, you've done some good work on it so far. Looks like the car was originally canyon red like my car was originally. Like those rims too.
    1986 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 5 Speed - Saving up for some eibach springs and shocks. Then throwing the new ponies on!
    1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3 5 Speed - Daily driver and my parts delivery truck for my Mustang
    1997 Mazda Protégé DX 1.5 5 Speed - Project car and needs some TLC. Gets great gas mileage and is definetly quick though.

You're right, it was originally Canyon Red. When it does get painted, it will be Performance Red but someday I'd like to redo it in Canyon Red. For now, I'll have to find a pair of 17x9 wheels for the front. Thanks for the kind words.
    SS
    1989 LX Ragtop, 5.0, AOD, shift kit, Pony wheels, baby cam, X pipe and Flowbasterds.
    1984 SVO needs TLC

I'm happy enough with the front end, now it needs a new Ford logo and some Marchal's.

I'm happy enough with the hatch as well, I'll be cleaning the underside later and spraying that to match, then lining it up and installing all the bump stops. I'll be getting the necessary beltline mouldings, fender extensions, fog lights and bracket, the '86 steel front bumper and turn signals as well as all the other little pieces I need outside in about 2-3 weeks. The wing will be getting painted and installed this weekend, for the time being I may just paint some of the 87+ mouldings and install them on the car.

The intake and valve covers should be going out for powder coating this weekend, hope to get them back by next weekend and installed. That way I can get the computer wired up and hopefully get this thing started. I'm really looking forward to that!
    SS
    1984 SVO needs TLC

Nice job, im from montreal 2, do you go to the laval mustang meet ?

J'parle francais aussi
    1985 Mustang Gt Cobra (Canadian)

Thanks man! I'm from Toronto, so I don't really speak french. Je ne comprendre pas francais. I will definitely check out the Laval meets once my car is up and running! I hear it's pretty big, some of my friends want to check it out too.
    SS
    1984 SVO needs TLC

Looking good, keep the pics coming resto pics keeps us all working on our stuff!!!!!!!
    I need a new Project???????
    1991 GT Conv Bright Red Single turbo

Wow...I would have never thought to paint my PBF valve covers red untill I seen yours. They look SWEET. The rest of the car Is looking great as well. Keep the pics comeing !

Quote Originally Posted by 1nine84GT View Post
    Wow...I would have never thought to paint my PBF valve covers red untill I seen yours. They look SWEET. The rest of the car Is looking great as well. Keep the pics comeing !
    Actually, I can't take the credit for those. My friend Kris had some sort of red/black/silver thing going on underhood, it all looked great when it was fresh but I didn't think it would have turned out as nice as it did. Since the Powered By Ford valve covers looked great in red with the aluminum fins, I'll be redoing that when it gets powdercoated. I'll be keeping a similar theme but with a little less silver, maybe polished and cleared brackets and accessories.
    SS
    1984 SVO needs TLC

I've got a little bit of progress to report, some good some bad. I spent part of today trying to find AN fittings at work and getting it all to work with my setup. I wound up temporarily running the lines to and from the regulator, and the crossover. I'll have to mount and install the fuel pump and filter without dumping fuel all over my garage, then I'll be getting the wiring harness in place and hopefully tuning it. The lower intake is bolted down, and the fuel lines and regulator are just mocked up. I'll have to shorten the feed line if I leave the system as is, but eventually I will have the regulator situated after the fuel rails instead of before.

The bad news is that my custom box upper intake won't clear my distributor cap. It sits about a half inch too far forward, so I'll be switching to a TFI dist with small cap or maybe something like an AEM EPM with LS1 coil packs.

1984 SVO needs TLC

I've checked and pondered, and I'm just going to notch the upper intake and install a regular old TFI distributor. I can't use COP it seems with the Holley Commander, I keep being told you need at least 4 coil outputs which the Commander 950 doesn't have. The bad thing is, when I want to pull the cap, I may have to remove the upper to get it off. I'm going to try and ensure I don't have to do that.
    I've got a bunch of work to do, so I'll post up when I get a chance.
    1984 SVO needs TLC

Did you spray paint the whole car or just the front nose and then rolled on the paint for the rest of the car because I am doing the same thing to my 85 T-top project

FEP Power Member

Man, you've done good work there...almost done. Two thumbs up!

Quote Originally Posted by stanglx2002 View Post
    Did you spray paint the whole car or just the front nose and then rolled on the paint for the rest of the car because I am doing the same thing to my 85 T-top project
    I spray painted the nose, hatch, and will be doing the same to the hood, wing and random touch ups. The entire car was rolled, but I have since changed the nose, hatch and will be installing another hood. The colour match is pretty close between the rolled on paint and the sprayed on, but the finish is nicer with the spray. I may wind up spraying the whole car and polishing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer82gt View Post
    Man, you've done good work there...almost done. Two thumbs up!
    Thanks dude, maybe one day it'll be as nice as yours!!!!!!
    SS
    1984 SVO needs TLC

86 50CPRI

You know,the early Duraspark cars ran a small distributor cap-it was the same as a points style cap...

Awesome work you've done here.I have been hesitant to spray bomb my own car-as it desperately NEEDS paint,but this is turning out pretty darn good!Keep 'em coming!!

By the way...the satin black car looks bitchin'!

Pete
    Last edited by 86 50CPRI; 05-17-2009 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 86 50CPRI View Post
    You know,the early Duraspark cars ran a small distributor cap-it was the same as a points style cap...

Awesome work you've done here.I have been hesitant to spray bomb my own car-as it desperately NEEDS paint,but this is turning out pretty darn good!Keep 'em coming!!

By the way...the satin black car looks bitchin'!

Pete
    LOL thanks! That satin black car now belongs to an old friend of mine, who also happens to be a member here. It used to be powered by a home made single turbo 5.0, but now it's got a stock '02 or '03 4.6 drivetrain stuffed in there! Here are a couple of old pics:

The car went a best of 13.5 @ 108 with two blown headgaskets on a 2.4 60 foot, through chambered mufflers and a faulty MAF at only 7psi of boost. It would have easily run 11s had I put slicks on it and fixed all the issues.

As for my '86, there is no new progress to report but there should be lots in the next couple of weeks. I was hoping to have it running already, but sometimes **** happens and the project must be pushed back. It'll be done soon as I'm dying to race it!
    SS
    1984 SVO needs TLC

I cleaned some of the interior panels and painted some of the faded 'black' back to black, I screwed up on a couple of pieces but I forgot to take pics of the rest. I also decided to clean up and wash the inside of the car, before I put any panels back in. There was 23 years of dust and crap in the car, and the last thing I want to see with the T Tops off is dust and debris flying in my face!!!

I just used dish soap and a long bristled brush, and gave it a simple scrub then rinsed with water. Some spots had dirt caked on, so I wiped those areas and got as much as I could.

I also cut out pieces of the quarter panel sound deadening to use behind a section of my interior panels. I didn't want the weight of the whole thing, so I just cut out the part closest to the rear speakers, as I plan to use the 87+ rear speaker locations. Also, I cut out a piece of the firewall sound deadening material for use behind the heater box.

The heater box isn't done yet, but it's close. Then I can finally start putting a dash back into this thing, and finish up that wiring. I hope to get some work done on it during the week, I am close to finishing the fuel system and should have my upper intake back by the upcoming weekend. If I can get it fired next weekend I'd be really happy!

I'll be ordering a carpet within the next couple of weeks, I'm still mulling over if I should get a grey carpet or a nice plush black carpet. Black would probably be best since I'm going to remove the back seats and carpet the area after the car is inspected.
    1984 SVO needs TLC

Nice work! That Gray on the cover Looks frickin awesome with that red!!
    Ya know the best thing i like about your build is that at the end of the day you can look at it and think of your friend and how he would be proud of the work you have done to it.
    No Longer a 4I Owner
    But Have way too much 4I stuff Collecting Dust.

86 50CPRI

simply awesome!Great work!

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by theemustangman View Post
    Nice work! That Gray on the cover Looks frickin awesome with that red!!
    Ya know the best thing i like about your build is that at the end of the day you can look at it and think of your friend and how he would be proud of the work you have done to it.
    Thanks man! I never really thought about it like that, and I sure hope he'd feel that way about it! I wish I could afford to do it justice like he deserves, but for now I'm doing my best and going to make this car turn out nice enough that I know he'd be proud to roll around in.

I'm going to do some work on it tonight, I'll post up some updates when I have time. I've been working a lot, and quite late too. It's not easy! We pulled 780HP out of a small block Mopar the other night (makes 1300 with spray), I got the heads back on the 9 second AMX, waiting on the turbo to come back on the '80 Turbo TA, pulled a 426 Hemi out of the bosses brothers '70 Challenger NHRA stocker, put a new torque convertor into a '77 Firechicken drag car....... and that's all just in the first three days of the week!!!!!
    SS
    1984 SVO needs TLC

FEP Super Member

Definately making progress.
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."
    1979 Mustang Indy Pace 2.3T/4spd (sold on 1/10/16)
    1983 GLX vert 3.8/auto (triple black, sold on 10/8/13)
    1984 (early) Turbo GT (parts SLOWLY coming together)
    1985 Coupe 4.6L DOHC/IRS swapped (sold 9/10/17)
    1986 GT TTop 5spd (sold as of 10/8/13)
    1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe (Cobra IRS/Brakes/big turbo project)

I typed out two responses and they both somehow got wiped cuz Mozilla crashed. Here are some pics. I put the carb back on so I can get the car past inspection and drive it for a few weeks as is, then convert to the completed EFI system. I'll post up more pics and vid later.

The dash I half painted is at the bottom, unpainted exterior trim in the middle, and all the interior trim pieces I painted.

This is the gauge cluster housing that 'fish-eyed'.

And here's the mess in the hatch. Can't wait to get all that stuff bolted in, instead of just laying there!
    Last edited by Syco Stang; 06-04-2009 at 10:32 PM.
    1984 SVO needs TLC

FEP Super Member

Car is coming together and looking good! Be proud of the work put in on her........it has come a long way quickly.
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."
    1979 Mustang Indy Pace 2.3T/4spd (sold on 1/10/16)
    1983 GLX vert 3.8/auto (triple black, sold on 10/8/13)
    1984 (early) Turbo GT (parts SLOWLY coming together)
    1985 Coupe 4.6L DOHC/IRS swapped (sold 9/10/17)
    1986 GT TTop 5spd (sold as of 10/8/13)
    1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe (Cobra IRS/Brakes/big turbo project)

86 50CPRI

looks great!Coming right along. I have to say that this thread has motivated me to touch up the trim on my own ride,and to decide what to do with the burnt faded silver that used to be paint.
    A couple questions.... on your de-aero-ing the car,did you find you needed the earlier bumper shocks,as we are discussing in the thread about doing the same with a Capri?

The 39153 SEM Bumper Trim paint(I bought my second can today!)--on the piece you had painted separate,was there any clear put on that? Or on any of the trim?
    My trim didn't come out as shiny-not that yours is shiny,but semi flat/semi gloss.Mine looks real flat.
    Thanks!

Pete

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast