Close

Default Warm negative battery post after starting?

Well guys I finally got my CFI to Carb conversion complete. I still need to work out the fuel pump/fuel line bugs, but thankfully I'm getting a good spark and it runs when I pour gas down the carb throat. But for some reason after repeated grinding on the starter the negative battery post and cable was very warm. Not "hot" mind you, just warm to the touch. The positive side was not warm at all. What's up with that? Is that normal? Am I being paranoid?
    79 Capri RS 5.0/AOD | 82 CHP SSP #0513 5.0/SROD | 82 Capri Tu-Tone 4.2/C5 | 83 NCSHP SSP 5.0/SROD
    84 FHP SSP 5.0/T5 | 84 LTD Wagon 3.8/AOD | 85 LTD LX 5.0/AOD | 88 GT 5.0 Turbo/T5

Quote Originally Posted by mustangpro View Post
    Well guys I finally got my CFI to Carb conversion complete. I still need to work out the fuel pump/fuel line bugs, but thankfully I'm getting a good spark and it runs when I pour gas down the carb throat. But for some reason after repeated grinding on the starter the negative battery post and cable was very warm. Not "hot" mind you, just warm to the touch. The positive side was not warm at all. What's up with that? Is that normal? Am I being paranoid?
    "repeated grinding" heated up that cable and terminal- cables can smoke if you crank a car too much, and if your starter is worn or binding, add more heat!

Clean your terminals, cables, and grounds on the cables and you should be good to go. Good luck!
    Pro BMW tech- I'd rather fix the mustang, though..

Warm is normal. Hot would be bad. Just clean up your terminals and clamps and it should be fine!
    1985 Mercury Capri GS - 5.0, 5-Speed, Ported E7s, FMS F303, TFS Valve Springs, Summit Stage 2 Intake, Holley Street Avenger 570, BBK Longtubes, BBK O/R H-Pipe, Flowmasters, Dumps, FRPP HD Clutch, Pro 5.0, Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms, and tons of satisfaction when I can say, "I just beat you with a Mercury!"

1983 Mercury Capri RS Crimson Cat - 5.0, 4-Speed, T-roof.

Thanks guys! I feel better.
    79 Capri RS 5.0/AOD | 82 CHP SSP #0513 5.0/SROD | 82 Capri Tu-Tone 4.2/C5 | 83 NCSHP SSP 5.0/SROD
    84 FHP SSP 5.0/T5 | 84 LTD Wagon 3.8/AOD | 85 LTD LX 5.0/AOD | 88 GT 5.0 Turbo/T5