Close

View Poll Results: Which Heads For 347 Stroker?!

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • GT40 P (Steel)

4 14.81%
  • Patriot Performance (Aluminum)

9 33.33%
  • Pro-Comp (Aluminum)

6 22.22%
  • World Windsor Sr.'s (Steel)

9 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default 82 GT Stroker Rebuild, 5 Lug Conversion, & Tubular Conversion

03-30-2009
    Hey Guys Just Thought I Would Start A Thread On My Rebuild Process

First Off Let's Start With When I First Bought The Car!
    I Purchased This Car From A Friend Of Mine That Let Her Sit For Two Years, Before He Could Even Think Of Parting With Her. Now The Reason He Called Me First, Is I Originally Helped Him Put The Motor In And Guided Him On Upgrades That The Car Needed To Handle A 347 Stroker, After He Bought It From His Brother With A Blown Original 302.
    He Knew I Loved This Car Since I First Seen It.
    I Purchased This Car On The Promise To Him That The Car Not Sit & Rot Like He Had Started To Do, AGREED!!
    So After Purchasing The Car From Him (Don't Get Me Started On How I Found My Baby Sitting In A Shed )
    Anyways After About A Week Of Driving The Car I Noticed How Badly She Idled & Blew Smoke Out The Valve Covers-

OUT TO MY BUDDIES FARM WE GO!
    On My Buddies Recommendation I Stop Driving The Car Immediately! He Had A Feeling That We Had Bad Rings, So I Leave Her In His Hands. The Next Weekend He Calls Me, He Has The Motor Out & Wanted Me There For The Tear Down Of The Stroker.
    Manifold Off- Looks Fine
    One Head Off -AHH She Was Starting To Blow A Head Gasket!
    Two Heads Off -AHH BOTH GASKETS GOIN? WTF!!!
    Cam- OMG!!! What Happened To The Lobes?! There Destroyed!!!
    Oil Pan- Looks Good No Excess Metal!! WHEW!!
    Removing Pistons & Rods- WTF?? Look At Cylinder #5 She Has a Quarter Size Scar In Her! But Not What You Think, A Bad Casting Scar Instead!! There Is The Oil Blow By Problem!!

MOTOR 347 Stroker
    MORE TO GO YET!!!

SUSPENSION TUBULAR CONVERSION

5-LUG SN95 CONVERSION

MISC.
    1. 79-85 Mustang Battery Tray Hardware Kit (THANKS FOXRESTO!!)
    2. Sylvania Sealed Beam Headlamp
    3. Sylvania Sealed Beam Headlamp
    4. 1984 Mustang T-Tops (Pair) & Yes They Fit & Seal Up (eBay Steal)
    5. ACC 82-92 Coupe/Hatchback Carpet (RED)
    6. 79-86 Mustang Gauges Assorted (Extras)
    7. Aluminum Radiator Support Bracket
    8. 87-93 Washer Res.
    9. NEW Washer Res. Motor
    10. SVO Sail Panels
    11. Door Hinge Pin Kit w/Bushings (THANKS FOXRESTO!!)
    12.Taillight Retainer & Seal Kit (THANKS FOXRESTO!!)
    13. Hatchback Weatherstrip (THANKS FOXRESTO!!)
    14. OEM Rear Lovers (FEP Member)
    15. Rear Taillights 79-82 (Thanks EVIL8286)
    16. Rear Shock Access Covers
    17. Ford Motorsport Red Wire Loom Set
    AND MANY MORE PARTS TO COME BEFORE SHE RUNS & MOVES ON HER OWN

NEXT PURCHASES
    Last edited by theemustangman; 10-31-2009 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Modified Parts Needed List & Added Parts Bought
    No Longer a 4I Owner
    But Have way too much 4I stuff Collecting Dust.

HERE ARE SOME OF THE PARTS SO FAR
    No Longer a 4I Owner

Not bad, keep us posted and take lots and lots of pics.
    +
    ++
    +++
    ++++

Fun is fun, and done is done!

Update 4-4-09
    Purchased 1995 Stang Power Steering Rack
    & Got Pics Of The Stroker With The Slugs In It

No Longer a 4I Owner

More Parts Ordered Today!
    Last edited by theemustangman; 10-31-2009 at 01:43 AM.
    No Longer a 4I Owner

More Parts Ordered Today
    Last edited by theemustangman; 10-31-2009 at 01:43 AM.
    No Longer a 4I Owner

Finally Got Back To Working On The Car We Got Alot Accomplished Today Here Are Some Pics w/descriptions

Here Is Part Of The Mass Of Parts Aquired for The Conversion

This is During Spring & Strut Removal (Done Yes the Dangerous Way Not Using A Spring Compressor)

Here She Sits With That Big Heavy Old K-Member Removed
    TIP: REMOVE OR ATLEAST LOOSEN A_ARM BOLTS WHILE THE OLD K_MEMBER IS ON THE CAR ITMAKES REMOVAL ALOT EASIER (YES WE LEARNED THE HARD WAY)

Here The Granatelli K-Member And A-Arms Are Installed On The Car

This Is Showingg The K-Member From The Top & Also The Max Motorsports Caster Camber Plates Installed

Here The SN95 Spindles Are Installed Along With The Tokico D_Specs And The Granatelli Coil Over Kit Also Installed
    TIP: BECAUSE THERE ARE NO INSTUCTIONS ON THE INTERNET FROM ANYONE BESIDES MAXIMUM MOTORSPORTS WITH THE TOKICO D-SPECS THERE IS A SILVER RING ATOP THE STRUT BODY THIS MUST BE REMOVED TO INSTALL THE THREADED SLEEVE FOR THE COIL OVERS THEN RE-INSTALLED AFTER THE THREADED SHAFT IS ON PS: TOKICO DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY INSTRUCTIONS WHAT SO EVER SO I HAD TO DO RESEARCH MY SELF TO FIND THIS.

And This is what the 98 gt wheels look like mounted, these have MAJOR Rubbing issues with the aftermarket k-member because it is slid forward .75'' from the factory hopefully shorter tires and pushing the k-member back just a bit in the bolt holes will correct most of this issue. KEY WORD "HOPEFULLY"
    No Longer a 4I Owner

More Parts Ordered & Picked Up Today
    Maximum Motorsports

Picked Up Some Parts At Advance Auto Parts
    Last edited by theemustangman; 10-31-2009 at 01:43 AM. Reason: fixed some spelling
    No Longer a 4I Owner

I went out to my buddies place today to drop of some parts
    and she was sittin outside so i got some side pics etc
    and these show the stance of the car with no motor
    and the coilovers are not preloaded yet,
    but this is close to how she will sit when i am done,
    man i love those 98 rims they look good on there IMHO

Last edited by theemustangman; 05-09-2009 at 02:38 PM.
    No Longer a 4I Owner

86 50CPRI

I think you need bigger pictures :P

looks awesome!good luck!

Pete

More Parts Ordered Today (Well One Major Part)
    95 Mustang GT 8.8 Rearend w/stock 3.08's MPS Auto Salvage

More Parts Picked Up Today
    Last edited by theemustangman; 10-31-2009 at 01:42 AM.
    No Longer a 4I Owner

First off, sorry everyone, no pics of the work today. I forgot my camera in My DD.
    So Anyways We got some work done today, attached the MM Hybrid steering shaft after they forgot to send me the little splined adaptor
    We kind of got the SN95 Rack mounted after swapping out the Inner tie rod ends to the fox inners, then we went to install it but in thee instructions it says re-install stock rack bolts well thats impossible, the bolt holes are 1/2'' and the factory rack bolts are about 5/8'' and the bolts they included are about 4'' too short, not to mention the rack mounts are cockeyed in the GMS K-Member (when i get pics i will post them you gotta see this BS) Anyways Now I need 7'' Grade 8 Bolts to bolt the rack up.

To Install the MM Bumpsteer kit on the sn95 spindles you must drill the tapered hole out to 5/8'' and we did not have one and i spent about 3 hrs going to every store that was open (on a Sunday) to find one that was not high speed steel (because the spindles are forged and high speed steel drill bits don't stand a chance drilling hardened steel) NO LUCK, well luckily my dad is a machinist so i drove 45 mins back home and he had a 5/8'' milling machine bit, this worked AWESOME The hole it drilled is perfect.

Well after getting all that installed we went to put the ARP Wheel studs in.... no luck they are to big, so we put two old ones back in each hub and mounted the wheels back up to see how the new KUMHO's fit and if they solved the rubbing issue... they made it better but we still rubbed so we trimmed the fender extensions abit to clear the tires.... they no longer rub....NICE. *NOTE we used a die grinder to cut the extensions because they are fiberglass* Also before we cut the extensions we slid the k-memebr back in the bolt holes but only about a 1/8'' thats as far as it could go

The 95 Rearend should arrive sometime next week, and the 5th of june i am going to order the MM XD adjustable lower control arms & The Tokico D_Spec Rear Shocks then we can mount the rearend And I will pick up some reman calipers for the front so we can finish the brakes if we can get the lincoln hydro boost to fit with little or no fab.
    Last edited by theemustangman; 05-24-2009 at 09:32 PM.
    No Longer a 4I Owner

I had to go get two 7'' bolts today at fastenal for the rack
    two grade 8 bolts and two steel locking nuts Grade 9 cost me $10 dollars WTF!!!
    No Longer a 4I Owner

Rack Mounting issues

Rack Mounting Issues

Pic whoring ha ha
    No Longer a 4I Owner

the 95 GT rearend showed up yesterday wow MPS Sent me everything Upper & Lower Control Arms, swaybar, shocks, springs, calipers, rotors, parking brake cables, all the brake hoses, they even rebuilt the rear calipers completely, all for 400 plus 131 shipping wow i have been so impressed with this company so far the rear end, the sn 95 brake kit they sent me wow these guys are first class IMHO i will post up two so so pics tomorrow and better ones this weekend as i am still trying to get my k-member issue addressed by granatelli, i should have just bought a MM k-member......live and learn i guess
    No Longer a 4I Owner

EvilTwistedTwins

Hey homer! I was just wondering why you went with a granatelli K member rather then someone elses? Are you building a road racing car or something? It also looks like your doing a great job so far, so keep up the great work!

Also whats with those spacers behind your rack?

and no hack saws? W T F ! ? ! ? lol

Quote Originally Posted by EvilTwistedTwins View Post
    Hey homer! I was just wondering why you went with a granatelli K member rather then someone elses?
    I was tryin to save some cash and right now i am learning my lesson
    with poor fitment issues

Are you building a road racing car or something?
    yeah sort of i have always been into cornering, rather than straight line
    what i am trying to acheive is a street legal race car, that when those stupid
    ricers try screwin with ya they can have fun tryin to keep up in the corners
    too, even the ricers here are all about straight line performance

It also looks like your doing a great job so far, so keep up the great work!
    Thank you i am tryin anyways! the guy helpin me build my car, built the fastest street legal fiero in the country for his brother. and he always puts sick motors in cars that are too small ha ha ha ha

Also whats with those spacers behind your rack?
    that is part of the granatelli bushing kit, the smaller ones on the front side would not fit with out the rack boots rubbin the bolts so we moved them to the backside to clear the bolts. this is part of the problem we are tryin to get resolved with Joey Granatelli right now, the bolt holes are 3/16 smaller center to center than the front center to center so hopefully Joey will address this issue after he gets back to his shop (he is gone all next week)

and no hack saws? W T F ! ? ! ? lol
    yeah i don't even own one, maybe my buddy does though LOL!!
    No Longer a 4I Owner

Default 95 Rear Went In Today!!

Well, we finally got around to thrown the 95 rearend in, it went slick as snot on a doorknob, simple install now just need to finish the brake lines, and get the right lug nuts for it and the rear is done.......for now......till i start browsing the Maximum Motorsports catalog again, i will be installing matching rear tokico d-specs to match the front.

No Longer a 4I Owner

Last weekend at the 50's show i picked up a set of SVO Sails overpaid for em but i have em none the less nothing is wrong with them theshoadows look weird in the pic I also ordered a Set Of new calipers and got some new hubs too
    Last edited by theemustangman; 10-31-2009 at 01:41 AM.
    No Longer a 4I Owner

Well finally got some response from JR Grantelli On My K-Member, he spoke with me and my buddy and we determined that it will be returned and he will replace it with their "Elite Series" K-Member & A-Arms, The Only Thing That PISSES Me off is that now i have to pull the k-member out and set it on blocks in my buddies yard till he sends me one back arrgh.....................FYI He blamed it on possibly being a immitation Knock off sold as aGMS K well when i told him i bought it from SUMMIT He had nothing to say but send it back to him w/ the a-arms.
    No Longer a 4I Owner

Also Today & Yesterday I did some painting, i sanded and primed and painted the svo sails to freshen em up and fix some imperfections, i have about 10 more coats to go so no pics yet but I also got the 1995 Calipers i ordered so i decided to spray them as well, used wax and grease remover and bought some black Caliper Paint, pretty happy with the way they turned out! the pic is of them still wet

Last edited by theemustangman; 06-30-2009 at 10:23 PM.
    No Longer a 4I Owner

Quote Originally Posted by theemustangman View Post
    .FYI He blamed it on possibly being a immitation Knock off sold as aGMS K well when i told him i bought it from SUMMIT He had nothing to say but send it back to him w/ the a-arms.
    Typical response from that company. I hope the replacement fits better.

yeah me too i have yet to get the old one pulled out and send it back, he should send me the replacement first IMO
    No Longer a 4I Owner

opps?!
    No Longer a 4I Owner

FINALLY!!! Got Some more parts ordered and they showed up on friday

On Sunday we pulled the car up behind the shop and pulled the K-Member and A-Arms out to send back to granatelli, went to The UPS Store today to get them sent off and they quoted me $160.00 to cali!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow maybe i can take a week off and drive them out there myself, i need a vacation anyways---
    Last edited by theemustangman; 10-31-2009 at 01:41 AM.
    No Longer a 4I Owner

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast