Close

Default Paint Cost, and more?

I am in the middle of shopping around for my Capri to get painted, and it has me wondering what others have paid for their paint work and what kind of services have been provided.

So, if anyone is willing to share the following, I know it would help me, as I am not too schooled on such, but perhaps help others as well:

Services:
    - was the car stripped? full? partially? only scuffed?
    - trim removed or masked?
    - body work have to be done?
    - was the car primed by the shop?
    - what type of paint was used?
    - did you change colors or stay with the original color?
    - was the inside and/or jambs painted?
    - under the hood?

Car condition:
    - any prevalent rust?
    - was the car repainted previously?

Cost:
    - dollars?
    - barter?
    - part cash/part services trade?
    - when was it done?

Other:
    - if you did it yourself, feel free to share any info, whether you think it was worth it, did it give you a new skill to then do for others? would you never do it again?
    - Was it a full on resto?
    - A show quality job?
    - Driver type paint job?
    - Who did the paintwork?

Pics:
    - Feel free to show any pics as well, I'd suggest maybe 2 or 3 pics to share, perhaps some detail shots etc?

I appreciate any info or insight. Thanks.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

I painted mine last summer.
    It was a royal pain in the rump.
    Not only that but it took forever and it cost a bunch.
    The cost of paint and materials was around 3k.
    The cost of tools needed to do a proper job was around 6k (includes compressor/mig welder/paint guns/copper pipe on wall/sandblaster/sanding blocks/hammers/dollies/buffer/supplied fresh air system etc etc)
    Honestly it is not perfect but I bet I couldnt have afforded to have a pro do the quality of job I now have.
    It was rusted bad I stripped it down (probably a hundred hours) sandblasted what I had to. Welded in patches etc etc.
    And even at $10/hour I would have paid a small fortune just for the block sanding.
    Then I shot the color and had to wet sand everything to get the peel out.
    Lots of work.
    theres some b4 and after pics at this link

http://www.dropshots.com/jeromef#dat...09-15/19:56:53
    Last edited by d9zz; 03-26-2009 at 07:21 PM.
    '79 cobra/357w/toploader etc etc etc
    2013 foureyedfox calendar...Ms. February and cover!
    Best 12.6@110 w/2.0 60'

"Junk Car" before/after
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...70#post1476670

i read where one guy had good results doing all his own prep work and taking it to macco. I don't know if I'd do it but it worked out for him. I'd like to see the car after 2 or 3 years of wear.

I think maaco is a decent quality, their major advantage is the oven that bakes the paint! If I had one of those at work I would be doing my paint jobs.
    There are several guys near me that offer paint jobs, rust repair, primer, full shoots and buffs for 700-1600. All depends on how bad the rust is and what color for costs.
    1983 Mercury Capri Crimson Cat 5.0 4 speed t tops
    1986 Mercury Capri GS 5.0 5 speed
    4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft, flowmaster cat back, fms headers, pro 5.0 shifter, tokico suspension, o/r h-pipe
    1990 Ford Mustang notch 5.0 5 speed
    pro 5.0 shifter, aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 rear, ud pulleys, prothane mounts, mac headers, flowmaster cat back, o/r h-pipe, lowered
    1971 IH Scout 800b all original 232 thrift six 3 speed
    1992 Honda Civic VX 1.5 vtecE 5 spd
    2001 Honda Insight Hybrid.. Best ave. 87.1 mpg!!!!!

I just found a guy here that does pretty killer work for cheap, but he takes his time and is very very maticulous when it comes to the prep work. A buddy just got his 88 very done and it looks absolutely perfect and only cost him $600. I grew up in a body shop and I couldnt find any flaws. I put in a call to see about the custom paint I want done on my 84 but havent heard back.

I am looking at $ 1,400 just for the Dupont paint.
    85 5.0 LX Coupe

i just finished my capri. its not perfect by any means. there are a few spots that are almost unnoticable, but i know they are there, and not perfect. but it was te first time i had ever painted a whole car, so i cant complain.
    i stripped the car down to a bare shell, minus drivetrain. all glass and trim off. stripped the whole shell down to bare metal, about 3 coats of paint on it, took me a weekend to dissassemble the car, that was the fun part. thats where the fun stopped. it took me a solid month of nights with chemical stripper to remove the paint. lots of layers, and the top coat would start to strip, and the solidify within seconds, weird stuff. after that, all the metal got sanded down with 180 grit, and painted with etching primer. not alot of bad spots on the car, but the roof was all perforated around the sunroof, so i had to do some creative welding and filling. looks ok, but up close, its got some flaws. then i filled and block sanded. took me another month of sanding before i painted. just a single stage dupont cintari, cost me 220 for a gallon of it with hardener and reducer. then i traded mechanical work to a buddy who runs a body shop. i built him an engine for his sons impala, and we used his body shop to repair and paint all the other panels. over all, it took me 7 months to do, with reassembling the interior and painting all the trim, ect. i love the finished results, and i cant beleive its the same car. i will probably get hate mail for this, but the paint job cost me under 500 bucks. but thousands of my own hours and trading off work for work. i would not be prepared to do something like this for at least another year. done even want to smell paint for a while. sorry for the long post, just thought id share my experience.
    79 Capri RS
    341 rwhp,348 rwtq 11.20@127

1939 Pontiac Deluxe 6. 73,xxx original miles. Barn find. Currently the secomd owner.

2013 Focus ST
    2012 Taurus SEL
    1997 F350

FWIW, I can't do body/paint - I'm pretty good at suspension/brakes, and motor/drivetrain. I guess you pick your interests. Anyway, I've had my 86 vert looked at twice by the paint pros - color change, jams, engine bay, new doors and trunk lid, etc. Car is not rusted but does have normal dings - no collision damage. Both said they'd remove moldings, handles, etc., and repair/replace and paint as necessary; new weather strip too. Estimate 1: $5K with a two-tone, two stage paint scheme of my choice. Estimate 2: $9k with a two-tone, two stage paint scheme of my choice. In both cases, I told them this was not gong to be a show car, but a driver so the paint had to hold-up to DD use, and had to be easily repairable/matched (e.g., chips).

I dropped off my 9D black magic at earl scheib yesterday for paint.
    I did alot of the body prep and repairs, removed the bolt on stuff, they are having a $299 paint offer and I wanted the machine sand $100 and to paint the other parts $75 so a total of $500. I pick up on tuesday.
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009