Close

Thread: Header

Default Header

Ok here is my question i know this mostly been ask before but still kind of new here so Whats the diff between putting long tubes or short tube headers and draw back from one to the other i havent decided which ones i want long or short but i know im putting BBK's on it and any help would be great thank you

Shorties:

You can use the shorty headers along with a complete dual exhaust system from an '86-'93 mustang on the earlier Fox Mustangs.

Advantages:
    Cheap, great fit, easy to install, better performance than cast iron manifolds

Long tubes:

Long tube headers will give increased performance over the shorties in many cases. Sound awesome.

Disadvantages:
    You will usually need an H or X pipe from the same manufacturer as your headers for good fitment, usually the long tubes are specific to a manual or automatic transmission, installation can sometimes cause you to use the most colorful language in your vocabulary.

All things being equal, assuming a good unrestrictive 2.5" exhaust.

On a stock or near stock engine short headers will make the same or slightly more peak
    HP as long tubes, but the long tubes will make more power over a broader rpm range or
    they have a broader/flatter power curve. On a modified engine (cam, intake, heads, etc)
    quality long tubes make far more HP than short tubes.

This is because they use exhaust pulses to scavenge the cylinders at high rpm.
    Last edited by PaceFever79; 03-21-2009 at 09:22 AM.

When you install long tube, you may have to clearance some of the header tubes and your installation may also require a mini starter.

Dave

ok has anyone used the kit that LRS has out now that has everything from the headers to the tailpipes in 1 kit i was looking at them lastnight for $619

So, let me throw mid lengths into this equation compared to the other two. THoughts?
    84 Capri RS T-Roof 351c
    95 Cobra Two Top #167