Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

How else do you think we claim so many Medals of Honor? Who else is there to jump on the "grenades"? Besides we all know what ARMY really stands for anyways. " Ain't ready for Marines Yet." Thanks again.

My buddy worked at a BMW shop before and says about the same thing you do about them. He always says they're pretty to look at and pretty expensive to fix. Kind of sounds like my Mustang has some BMW blood in it.
    '86 Convertible 3.8
    N/A car getting swapped to a 3.8 SC
    Been a long uphill battle, but is inching closer to completion.

Quote Originally Posted by krzymnky View Post
    How else do you think we claim so many Medals of Honor? Who else is there to jump on the "grenades"? Besides we all know what ARMY really stands for anyways. " Ain't ready for Marines Yet." Thanks again.

My buddy worked at a BMW shop before and says about the same thing you do about them. He always says they're pretty to look at and pretty expensive to fix. Kind of sounds like my Mustang has some BMW blood in it.
    Speaking for the rest of mankind, thank you for the 'grenade' handling!!

And, I'm plagerizing the 'army' quote!!

As for BMW, I don't know about motor trend, or any of the other car magazines that swoon over these cars, but my personal, unnofficial, hearsay pole of current newer model owners is running 99.43% to one quote:

I WILL NEVER BUY ONE OF THESE PIECES OF %$^&*$#& AGAIN!!

The other .57% of owners won't stop quietly mumbling to themselves long enough for me to get their input

Hey, I'll be shooting off that stuff soon, and I also found some blown up diagrams that will go your way, too- they look to be the same as the 'pdf' diagrams this site has, so there ya go!

Take care, man!
    Pro BMW tech- I'd rather fix the mustang, though..

Anyone else having any enlightening they can give me on this? Thanks.
    '86 Convertible 3.8

This is not going to be a plug-n-play project. You need much more than a donor engine and some electrical tape to hack together the wiring harness. To do this correctly you really need a donor Super Coupe. At a minimum the supercharged 3.8L engine also requires the correct ECM. The Mustang 3.8L ECM fuel curve is way too lean for the supercharged engine. The Super Coupe engine is also very sensitive to exhaust back pressure and loves to blow head gaskets. It is unlikely the Mustang exhaust system flows well enough if it is still stock. www.AllDatadiy.com has the technical information about both cars but you would still need to work out the details of merging the two systems. The subscription price for both cars would be a small price to pay compared to the cost of the damage that could be caused if you don't get this swap right the first time. Superchargers are fun but they are not a forgiving toy.

Saleen offered a supercharged 3.8L in a SN95 Mustang for a very short time. You might find some additional help in a Saleen forum.
    85 GT 5.0 w/ T-Tops & 5 speed. (Bought it in 88.)
    Gone but not forgotten:
    65 Mustang (My first car.)
    69 Mach 1 351W w/ 4 speed (The original four eyed Mustang and the one I still dream about.)
    90 T-Bird Super Coupe 35th Anniversary Edition 3.8L w/ active suspension, supercharger & intercooler.

get an AllData print of BOTH cars and especially the computer plug wire callouts as to where they go. find the same wires (as to what they do) and change those FIRST. Then progess to those that are added or eliminated and your on your way. that computer plug is the biggest key to unlock the swap. (having the WHOLE harness from the other car helps too lol)
    Last edited by plstktnkr2; 04-05-2009 at 07:37 AM.
    83 Mustang GLX conv (in sonic blue)4.3/SC -coming soon! "Project Baby"
    1988 Lincoln Town Car Limousine, Crafted by American Custom Coach Works- "Project Bertha"

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

i will enlighten my mech to the exhaust problem as it is stock to the mustang. i do have the wiring harness for the engine and the ECM along with it. i know that my mech has been using ALLDATA for this along with Chilton's. here's hoping it will all work. it's getting close, just not close enough yet. thanks.

GT88-
    Thanks again. I got the EVTM in the mail yesterday. Hopefully my mech can put it to use. I'll keep you posted on any progress made. Again many thanks.

- Anthony
    '86 Convertible 3.8

use shorty headers and a 2.5 inch exhaust to relieve the back pressure issue
    1988 Lincoln Town Car Limousine, Crafted by American Custom Coach Works- "Project Bertha"

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

i will enlighten my mech to the exhaust problem as it is stock to the mustang. i do have the wiring harness for the engine and the ECM along with it. i know that my mech has been using ALLDATA for this along with Chilton's. here's hoping it will all work. it's getting close, just not close enough yet. thanks.

GT88-
    Thanks again. I got the EVTM in the mail yesterday. Hopefully my mech can put it to use. I'll keep you posted on any progress made. Again many thanks.

- Anthony
    Dude! It didn't disapear, it didn't take a month, and it didn't look like it was drug behind a truck to get there? This, my friend, is a sign that your car will be running by may!!
    Pro BMW tech- I'd rather fix the mustang, though..

Quote Originally Posted by gt88 View Post
    Dude! It didn't disapear, it didn't take a month, and it didn't look like it was drug behind a truck to get there? This, my friend, is a sign that your car will be running by may!!
    For the love of a higher power I hope so! Tried to get the starter to kick last friday to the sound of no dice, but later this afternoon my mech will be jumping back on it to see what's up. Hoping the block is not froze, and that it is something simple. Thanks again. I have another guy from another site that might be sending me a EVTM on the supercoupe. For the life of me I cannot find one in this godforsaken town, let alone another supercoupe. There's tons of V8 T-birds around here just no supercoupes. Thanks again.
    -Anthony
    '86 Convertible 3.8

Quote Originally Posted by plstktnkr2 View Post
    use shorty headers and a 2.5 inch exhaust to relieve the back pressure issue
    shorty headers for a 3.8 SC are way out of my price range. I might just hack off the cats and hope that will work for now. To take off the headers I have to pull the motor out to do so. But I will definately look into it. Thanks.
    -Anthony
    '86 Convertible 3.8

Tried to get the starter to kick last friday to the sound of no dice,
    -Anthony
    the starter is easy: use the single power wire that goes to the fender solenoid and put 2 feet of wire on it and run it to the small terminal of the starter and put the big cable to the battery side and turn the key(providing your using the S/C starter)

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

the starter is easy: use the single power wire that goes to the fender solenoid and put 2 feet of wire on it and run it to the small terminal of the starter and put the big cable to the battery side and turn the key(providing your using the S/C starter)
    By the time my mech was trying to get it to kick on Friday it was about 15 minutes to closing time. So, this afternoon he should have the answer. The starter should be good as it is a new one. It's just ensuring the wiring is correct and all. The solenoid was clicking, but there was a lot of drilling going(security cameras going into shop) on so we couldn't hear the starter. There wasn't any movement going on so who knows what is up. Plus it was friday and my mech just wanted the hell outta there. Hopefully I will find out in a little while once I'm off. Is there a difference in starters? Both engines are 3.8's and they both have the single wire going to them.
    '86 Convertible 3.8

the standard starter on a standard 3.8 is large and needs a fender solenoid the S/C has a mini starter and has solenoid on the starter

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

well that could be part of the problem. he has a new stock 3.8 starter non-sc on that motor right now. would that make a difference? even with power to that starter it should atleast kick right? i mean the starter bolted right up so it should work in theory.
    '86 Convertible 3.8

anyone know if a 3.8 n/a starter will work on a 3.8 sc? thanks
    '86 Convertible 3.8

it will bolt up but not function correctly, besides the S/C starter will give you header clearance, and more crank power, I use the S/C starter on my V6 stroker (NA) with headers
    Last edited by plstktnkr2; 04-08-2009 at 08:46 PM.

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

it will bolt up but not function correctly, besides the S/C starter will give you header clearance, and more crank power, I use the S/C starter on my V6 stroker (NA) with headers
    How much did you have to shell out compared to a regular starter for 3.8's?
    '86 Convertible 3.8

since I'm a sc owner i can sure as many others here tell you that this is not a difficult task but yet it is time consuming and requires lots and lots of studying, i think 93 and up T-bird LX's have the mini torque starters (i have use them), and as for the shorty headers there's the one's that the stock 3.8 '98 or so mustangs have, i think you just need to do some clearance on the steering shaft. Good Luck
    86 Mustang GT T-tops
    92 Thunderbird SC
    81 LTD
    04 Focus ZTS

I thought about doing this in my '89 when I had it, now im really glad I didn't sounds like quite the hassle. But it will pay off when it's done right. Good luck with everything, looking forward to see pics of it when its done.
    1986 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 5 Speed - Saving up for some eibach springs and shocks. Then throwing the new ponies on!
    1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3 5 Speed - Daily driver and my parts delivery truck for my Mustang
    1997 Mazda Protégé DX 1.5 5 Speed - Project car and needs some TLC. Gets great gas mileage and is definetly quick though.

How much did you have to shell out compared to a regular starter for 3.8's?
    about 100 bucks

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

Quote Originally Posted by 4EStang86 View Post
    I thought about doing this in my '89 when I had it, now im really glad I didn't sounds like quite the hassle.
    not a hassle at all.
    step 1. disconnect battery
    step 2. take starter cable move to battery side of the solenoid
    step 3. take small wire that energizes the solenoid, add 2 feet of suitable gauge wire and put the correct end on it for attachment on starter's solenoid
    step 4. install starter connect both wires

its not that much of a big deal
    rick

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

Well, the shop that was doing all the work backed out today. They want me to come get the car take some money back and go find another shop. I'm pissed beyond belief with no clue where to go now. In need of someone who knows how to do wiring, but that is a like finding the proverbial needle in the hay. So this project is dead in the water for the time being.
    '86 Convertible 3.8

this isnt a job for some hack job shop. You need a perf specific type place that handles swaps. Places like that are usually more up on wiring etc that it takes to swap motors from a vehicle it wasnt in.

Personally, throw the v6 away, buy a 351 and never look back
    86lx coupe
    351w.....its just a truck motor

captain cave man racing!!!

faster than your first sexual experience

I'm a tbird guy. If SCCOA.com won't help you, try TCCOA.com. Get the computer and the whole harness from the 89, and it shouldn't be that hard to get running. Too bad your in NC... I'm in Vegas, way too far away for me to help you directly.
    1985 Capri RS 5.0 5 Speed
    1994 Thunderbird LX 4.6
    1978 Country Squire 7.5
    2004 Mustang GT 4.6

too bad you are so far south of me. Get transfered to Quantico or maybe Detrick's unit and I will do the wires for ya.
    rick

PS I have the harnesses to go by and work at a racer/tuner shop part time

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast