Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Not Your Usual 4-Eyed 'Vert (Cougar)

Hi everyone, new here after lurking for some time. Y'all have some really clean Mustangs and Capris, more than I've seen in a long time. You should be proud of what you've got!

Anyhow...I have a pretty rare 1986 Cougar convertible that hopefully will fit in well with your cars. The only thing left on the car that is all original is the windshield. The motor has been changed out, custom interior, custom...well, everything LOL. I can't even begin to imagine how much money I really have into it (some things are better left unknown).

Here is some eye candy:

More information and images if you click on the link in my sig.

I also own a pretty original and clean '84 Cougar GS, V6, C5 trans, almost all original. Currently I'm cleaning up under the hood and getting it more ready for more shows. Believe it or not, I picked up this blue beauty for a mere $500 with 107K on the ticker:

My last road trip, with new cylinder heads (what a shock with a 3.8, I know) it returned an amazing 40mpg highway. It's gone down a bit to about 30-33 mpg since then. I'm fine-tuning the CFI and replacing a few other parts to see if I can get it to climb back up on the trip to Carlisle this June.

Not many mods besides the obvious 15" rims. I've retrofitted a 1983-spec analog 2-post 8-track radio into it, and currently am trying to figure out the wiring to get an ultra-rare 1984 p/n electronic 8-track radio running. Also deleted the cracking factory dark blue pinstriping. Otherwise it's just like the day it rolled out of the factory. Most all of the paint and clearcoat is original.

So...they're not Mustangs but I hope you guys can accept them for what they are.

Welcome,both your Cougars are real nice,you'll fit in good here

Chris Wood

Heck yea! Nice looking rides. Welcome to our little corner of the "net"!

FEP Super Member tan84mustanggt's Avatar

Those are clean. Very nice. You're lucky you're not in jail getting that silver one for that.

welcome and cool cougars

FEP Power Member

You have a very nice vert there. I looked at your home page, nice story and very nice mods to the car.
    85 GT vert

Neither here nor there

Welcome Eric and check out our name... (The Early Fox Site)
    We are more then just mustangs and THANK YOU for joining up. We need more cougars and birds!!! Bring um on!

Awesome rides and thank you for sharing!

nice set of cats and welcome aboard
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1986 Bronco 351ho
    VP Berks County Mustang Car Club
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2462250

Welcome, I like them both.
    +
    ++
    +++
    ++++

Fun is fun, and done is done!

That 86 Convertible is PIMP!!! Holy crap that is a nice ride. Time for me to go to bed. Anything I see on the net after this will only be a disappointment.
    I push my fingers into my eyes......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

both are very cool!

welcome! and help recruit some 4 eyed birds and cats.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

WOW, really nice rides!!! Im diggin the vert.
    78 Fairmont 2 door Boxtop
    81 Fairmont 2 door Boxtop (For Sale)
    86 TX DPS Coupe- 5.0 5 speed (Sold)
    80 Coupe- Carbed 4.6
    93 Hatch- 5.0 5 speed
    2011 Grabber Blue Shelby GT 500
    2003 Sonic Blue Cobra coupe (Race car) Sold!!
    2003 Redfire Cobra vert (Street Beast)

WWW.STEELCITYSTANGS.COM

Nice cars... like Jeff "capriman86" said we need more T-Birds and Cougars.

That vert is freakin sweet. Very tastefully modded. -You- should be proud of your work!

Steal of deal on the outher cougar.

-Mike Malone
    69 Mach1, 81 LX, 83 GT Turbo, 85.5 SVO 9L, 86 SVO 2A, 86 GT, 90 LX 5.0 - and a badass 84 LTD Wagon

SWEET RIDES!!
    Project "WinBacK" 1986 LX Hatchback
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

Hi Eric, good to see you over here. The cougars look great. j

Kerry
    Current: 81 Cobra T Top, 79 Cobra.
    Past Toys: 1964 Falcon Vert, 1966 Mustang(owned twice), 70 Conv, 1978 Mustang II(first car), 80 Cobra, 81 Cobra, 82 GT T-Top, 85 GT 3,900 miles, 85 Predator/Twister 5S-0149, 86 Saleen 177, 86 SVO, 86 Mustang GT, 86 Mustang GT Vert, 87 Mustang GT, 89 Mustang Notch, 2003 Mustang GT Roush Clone, 2006 Mustang V6(Stainless Works LT's, MBRP cat back, 3.73's, tb, cai), and my favorite 2002 Mustang GT MPH 302 stroker, KB 2.2, TKO 500 640rwhp/591torque.

Welcome aboard Eric!!! It's great that you signed up here. I've been a big fan of your cars and Coolcats for years. I've talked to you on there in the past as well. That vert is one of the nicest Cougars I've seen.

A new member was saying the other day that there aren't too many members on here with Cougars and Tbirds. Well the members are growing and please encourage more members with Cougars to join up. FEP is a great site with really good people.
    ~Paul

1982 Mustang GT
    1983 Mustang GT TTop
    1985 Mustang LX 5.0 Notchback
    1995 Ford F150 SVT Lightning
    www.cardomain.com/id/mustang4life1985

i want one
    that is simply beautiful
    1986 beige lx 5.0 conversion - 306ci. edelbrock 1.94 performer rpm aluminum heads, performer rpm airgap intake, performer rpm cam, roller rockers,moroso oil pan, edelbrock 600cfm carb, bbk shorties, offroad h-pipe, flowmaster 40 series mufflers 2.5 pipes, holley high flow fuel pump, T-5 tranny, 8.8 rear with 3.73 gears,aluminum rad, driveshaft loop, weld in sub-fram connectors, 5-bolt cragar SS wheels
    best run: 13.3 at 101.6mphhttp://www.youtube.com/jakesmustang1986

AWESOME !!! I want that cougar for myself !

CATS RULE !!
    '79 Capri Drag/Street car 289 w/Pro street air scoop & 2" COG belt 130 Amp/Alt Alum Rad W/ Elec fan B&M Supercooler w/fan 3800 stall aod Alum driveshaft 4.11 Rear seat Delete Welded Rollcage/Subs/Upper & Lower Battle boxes Southside lower/adjust Uppers ALL Poly mounts 275/15 drag radials Silver w/ Black interior 4" Cowl hood Old school Centerlines

'79 Capri RS 302 4sp Original TRX/Louvers/Dobi plate Dove Gray w/ Black interior

'82 Capri Straight 6 auto Original Yellow (Now black) w/ Tan interior

Wow! well done, now pass me a kleenex so I can stop drooling.
    No stripes, just a serious mean streak!

82GT T-top...Original owner

FEP Senior Member blackmagicman's Avatar

that cougar is eye sex man...
    current stable:1981 blackmagic capri gt40 crate engine 5spd 12.7@109mph.150 shot nos gt40 heads 3.55 gears
    1981 blackmagic capri 2.3 liter 5spd project car goin turbo , daily driver 2004 chevy silverado 4x4

Awesome custom and super clean original!
    '83 Hatch - PBR Front/GT rear disc, Steeda Sport Springs, Tokico Blues, MM CC plates, 87+ sway bars

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I appreciate it. Looking forward to a little warmer weather so I can get these cars out of the garage after a particularly nasty winter here in Ohio.

Just FYI, no Fox Mustangs were harmed in the making of this car.
    (A few SN95 Mustangs did, though...hope you won't hold that against me!)
    Last edited by EricCoolCats; 03-25-2009 at 11:33 AM.

Got too love those Cougars I had 86 XR7 great car .You have some nice rides there. Did you convertable conversion your self or did you farm it out. Welcome you fit in hear just FINE

Thanks! The car was chopped when new. It was built in early March 1986 and was converted in the same month by a company in Lima, OH called Car Craft Company (no relation to Kar Kraft Engineering in MI). If a person wanted a Cougar made into a convertible, they could pay for it through the dealership and then the dealer would ship it to Car Craft for conversion. Cost was about $9,000 US, on top of the cost of the car (mine is an LS with leather, which was around $16K US). Consequently, not many were made (confirmed 89 for 1986, at least 16 for 1985, unsure about other years) and most of them seem to have been sold in the Ohio area. I've documented about 15-20 of them.

Interestingly, the top, latches, top motor, small rear windows, etc. are all from a Buick Riviera. Fit is not bad in most areas. Car Craft had been converting Riviera's also at the time and I guess someone figured their parts would work on a Cougar. Either that, or someone got drunk one night at the shop and went nuts with a Sawz-All. I got the car in 1996 and I'm the third owner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast