Close

Default 302 plus turbo build

Alright guys I'm asking the subject matter experts...I've finally made up my mind on the engine I want....
    my question is...I'm looking to put a 302 and turbo kit in my 82 capri....
    what 5.0 factory engine should I look for and what turbo....also what cam..exhaust....headers....the works.....looking to blow the doors off the fathers capri and brothers acura
    "Strike First, Strike Hard, No Mercy Sir."

ok ok...I decided to go with a 1992 GT engine....with that info what can I do to get 100 more hp out of the engine....

alittle shot?
    1985 X-4BANGER
    NOW 302

spray it........oh wait, thats my answer to everything. i dont know the first thing about what turbo to use, all i use is nitrous. probably cant be any help.
    79 Capri RS
    341 rwhp,348 rwtq 11.20@127

1939 Pontiac Deluxe 6. 73,xxx original miles. Barn find. Currently the secomd owner.

2013 Focus ST
    2012 Taurus SEL
    1997 F350

FEP Power Member

turbo or sc is the way to go, its always there, dosent take up any space in the trunk, and it dosent cost anything to run, just the inital cost, nitrous cost like 70 dollars every 5 or 6 passes down the track

If I do manage to find the engine I am looking for...stock it put out 225hp 300 torque...
    I'll really looking at getting above and close to the 400hp range.......minus nitrus....
    any proven combination of parts, engine work and turbo do you all know of that will get me there.....Can lose to the little bro...especially if he is in an import.....
    Pistons?
    Over Bore?
    Cam?
    Headers?
    Fuel Pump?
    Oil Pump?
    Sump Pump (if really Needed)?
    injecters?
    Intake?
    I think by now you all get the idea......

Quote Originally Posted by varn82 View Post
    spray it........oh wait, thats my answer to everything. i dont know the first thing about what turbo to use, all i use is nitrous. probably cant be any help.

X2... lol..... If you want a good stout engine and cannot afford a Dart block, have a respectable engine builder build you a stock block stroker because its virtually the same amt of money to build a 347 as a 306. Have the block half filled for strength and have h beam rods, balanced, crank balanced at 8oz vs. 50oz and a stud girdle... Around where I live , a good stout short block should run $2200-$2600 built like this... with a cam . Good luck on the build.

Jason
    1966 Mustang Coupe-- 1st car at 14yrs old- SOLD
    1965 Mustang Coupe-- 2nd Mustang at 15 - SOLD
    1966 Mustang GT Fastback -- 3rd Mustang- SOLD
    1986 Mustang GT T- Tops -- 4th Mustang- SOLD
    1986 Mustang GT Hardtop (White 86) 5th - SOLD
    1992 Mustang LX Convertible 5.0 6th - SOLD
    1985 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0 7th - SOLD
    1986 Mustang LX Coupe 347 8th - SOLD
    1987 Mustang GT Hardtop- SOLD
    1988 Mustang GT T-top-- SOLD

400 horsepower Flywheel or Street?
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

if you want a good 400 hp without spray, go 347. depending on what you want to spend, you can get all sorts of power for short money. i have a forged 347, aluminum heads, matched cam ect, and the whole build, from pulling the 302, to driving down the street, cost me 3700 bucks. everything is new, from intake to pan, including balancer, flywheel and clutch. i have never put it on the dyno, but it doent dissapoint. i will be getting it on the rollers in may, then the track.
    79 Capri RS

1939 Pontiac Deluxe 6. 73,xxx original miles. Barn find. Currently the secomd owner.

2013 Focus ST
    2012 Taurus SEL
    1997 F350

Quote Originally Posted by varn82 View Post
    if you want a good 400 hp without spray, go 347. depending on what you want to spend, you can get all sorts of power for short money. i have a forged 347, aluminum heads, matched cam ect, and the whole build, from pulling the 302, to driving down the street, cost me 3700 bucks. everything is new, from intake to pan, including balancer, flywheel and clutch. i have never put it on the dyno, but it doent dissapoint. i will be getting it on the rollers in may, then the track.
    I agree. 347 with good heads and cam. Easiest, cheapest way to make good power. Turbo or Supercharger will set you back $2,500 - $3,000, they there is all the OTHER parts you have to buy to make that stuff work. Nitrous is cheap, but does have to be refilled, so you have that additional cost when you want to go that fast.

The right heads, cam and intake with good exhaust should have little trouble making 400 reliable horsepower.

Hell, if you want to, spend some money getting the heads and intake stage 3 ported!!!
    I push my fingers into my eyes......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

347, and when you want a little "boost" spray it. love the spray. some call it cheating. i call it 200 hp for 500 bucks. my stock block has other ideas.........but it does what it is told.
    79 Capri RS

2013 Focus ST
    2012 Taurus SEL
    1997 F350

81Capri,
    Couple of questions, will you be building or buying your turbo kit? What transmission do you plan on using? Fuel injection or carburation? Does the car have an 8.8 in it and what rear gear? What ET are you shooting for or do you just want to be quicker on the street? 400 flywheel or rear wheel horsepower? 400 flywheel horse isn't to hard to get to with a turbo, even on a bone stock engine. Post up the answers and I can give you some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    400 horsepower Flywheel or Street?
    So I'm only now answering...was busy yesterday......400 at the wheels......

Quote Originally Posted by 79Coupe View Post
    I agree. 347 with good heads and cam. Easiest, cheapest way to make good power. Turbo or Supercharger will set you back $2,500 - $3,000, they there is all the OTHER parts you have to buy to make that stuff work. Nitrous is cheap, but does have to be refilled, so you have that additional cost when you want to go that fast.

The right heads, cam and intake with good exhaust should have little trouble making 400 reliable horsepower.

Hell, if you want to, spend some money getting the heads and intake stage 3 ported!!!
    where do I find the 347....and how much should it run me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash93 View Post
    81Capri,
    Couple of questions, will you be building or buying your turbo kit? What transmission do you plan on using? Fuel injection or carburation? Does the car have an 8.8 in it and what rear gear? What ET are you shooting for or do you just want to be quicker on the street? 400 flywheel or rear wheel horsepower? 400 flywheel horse isn't to hard to get to with a turbo, even on a bone stock engine. Post up the answers and I can give you some ideas.
    Looking at purchasing a single turbo........
    Iwill have to find the 8.8 rear end the car has a 7" right now
    Fuel injected 92 GT engine.....
    Looking to make the car a sleeper on the street....but she will see the track at least twice in here life.....Father and little brother want a piece of me.....
    if I can I would like to find a T-5 Tranny but the stock GT tranny will have to do if it can take it.....
    400 at the rear wheels is what I'm looking for....

rap5.0

I am trying to find a experenced mechanical tpeto help me (novice wrench turner) to advise me on budget build of an 88 5.0 HO roller into a tow package in my 82 ford f150

FEP Power Member horsepowerjunkie's Avatar

I've seen many of stock 87-92 forged piston 5.0 HO's make 400+ to the wheels with a 60mm single turbo. Alot of people are using the On3 Performance kit, because its cheap and I guess works well! Even if you used the stock short block and a set of Edelbrock/Trick Flow, AFR 165, etc. head and a decent intake, Performer RPM, Trick Flow track, GT40, etc. and a single turbo, you should reach your goal with under 10 psi of boost!
    11 GT Black, A6,Steeda CAI, SCT X4, Circle D 4C
    89LX Blk Hatch,363 Dart,C4,T76BB,FAST EFI
    86 Black GT, 331 Dart, S-trim aftercooled, 4R70W
    82 Carpi RS, 306, T5, 8.8 4.10's.
    72 Demon 340 4-speed(one of 1667)
    73 Dart Sport 340, 410ci, Indy 230cnc+, bracket brawler
    01 Ram Quad Cab, 5.9L car hauler
    02 Grizzley 660
    03 Honda VTX 1800

This will get you started.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...?topic=74446.0

I am adding a turbo to my '79 this winter. You can make 400 HP with a stock block turbo combo without to much problem. I wanted the drive ablity of a stock cam that will work fine with a turbo.

Jess

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302