Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Opinions - 1988 Cougar Xr7 5.0

This is the most "car guy" forum I frequent so I thought I'd get some opinions.
    I'm looking at this 88 Cougar Xr7 5.0 that's for sale. The guy's asking $1950, I
    think it's worth $1200, we're stalled at $1500.

The good

It's black! With gray interior!
    5.0 EFI engine! (runs good) (is this a non HO roller motor?)
    AOD Trans was rebuilt by dealer 30k miles ago
    Everything works, A/C, accessories, premium sound system
    All original, all there, including the Cougar rims
    New 70 series tires (although it could use larger 225/60/15)
    Dealer installed rear wing (actually looks pretty cool)
    decent none smoker interior (cracked dash pad, worn console/armrest)
    Minimal surface rust, original (adult) owner, garage kept
    Recently tuned, new brakes, tires, inspected

The bad

Engine has 140k (Executive car, wasn't beat, figure a top end rebuild)
    The paint is tired (I can paint a black car for $800 materials)
    Do I REALLY need another Fox to restore?

I figure it needs $2000 to get it sweet and it's worth $3000 restored.

So Yea or Nay; Does the car have potential?

And what do you think it's worth?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

just from seeing pics it looks like it has potential.

A few spots to check on these cars.

Bottoms of door edges (just like our 4 eyes)
    quarter panel to rocker seams
    rear quarter panels both exterior and from inside the trunk. Not sure if there was a water collection issue on these cars on the insides of the quarters inside the trunk, but they all seem to rust out there heavily. First the paint peels away and under are the holes.

As for the cost, you have to realize if you want something bad enough you have to be willing to absorb a little of the cost. Buy the car because its what you want, not what it will be worth in the long run.

What I see there is a nice fox, decent mileage, looks fairly solid and could be a nice family cruiser type car. Many of our wives hate our Mustangs and Capris because of the lack of room and comfort. Cougars do have that.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

Clean looking Cougar... if you want to go $1,200 on this and he's stalled at $1,500 I would split the difference between the two and show up with $1,350 cash... like they say cash talks and BS walks.

Yeah, I agree, I'm not looking to make money on it, I just don't want to get dinged.
    I'm interested in it as a foxy / driver. And I like Cougars.

Thanks for the comments.

I dont think 1500 is too bad of a price. It does look pretty clean for the mileage. Any engine shots?

No engine shots. It's pretty typical under the hood. A little dirty but all there.

The mileage is what gets me too. It's "nice" for the miles.

I have one almost identical to that. Mine has original tranny and 113K. It is very clean, no rust at all, but several small dings and scratches. My interior is almost mint.

I paid $1400.

The comfort and NVH refinements in these cougars is very nice.

I am going to swap mine to HO specs and some rear gears and drive it.

I say get it.

What is the decal on the fender?
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Seems like it's worth it as long as the body is clean.

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    I have one almost identical to that. Mine has original tranny and 113K. It is very clean, no rust at all, but several small dings and scratches. My interior is almost mint.

I paid $1400.

The comfort and NVH refinements in these cougars is very nice.

I am going to swap mine to HO specs and some rear gears and drive it.

I say get it.

What is the decal on the fender?
    It's not a decal, it's a chrome emblem, the outline of a cat head.

This body is solid, but shows the mileage, the paint is shot, the interior is
    in good condition, but has some typical age wear.

I really think it's worth $1200

FEP Super Member

Did any of these XR7's come with the 5.0 HO?? The ones I dig is those oh so hard to find 89-90ish XR7's with the supercoupe 3.8sc engine... havent seen one in a long time. Even if it is a 150hp 302 that car looks like it would be a great cruiser, and a nice daily driver with some minor work.
    Former Foxes:
    1983 Fairmont Futura 4dr
    1986 Mustang LX 2.3 4 speed
    1985 Mustang GT
    1985 GT - 357w, T5, 8.8 w/ 4.10's.
    Best ET 13.5639, Best Mph 102.39
    1988 LX 5.0 AOD notch, bone stock no options except A/C
    1980 Mercury Capri RS Turbo, 50k mile survivor.
    1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe....ratty but fun.
    1992 Mustang GT convertible 85k from original owner

I say do the 1500.

Then toss in a HO Roller motor with mass air and GT40 heads. Improve the exhaust but keep the exhaust looking original at the rear.

Hell, do all the typical Hot Rod stuff to make it faster... But still a stock looking sleeper.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

well, if its only worth 1200 to you, then give it a week and the seller may be calling you back. I don't think too many people are shopping for 88 XR7s. Maybe a mom or a dad for their kids first car.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

I'd say that's a $1500 car in my book... the weak link in these AOD cars has been at least partially remedied (rebuilt) so it looks good from both ways... can be a semi-reliable daily driver (as much as a 140k mile car can be), but it's a 5.0L so we all know it's got that "special something" and can eeeeeeeasy run to 200k if the little things are taken care of. And, it has the fox chassis appeal, so you can mod it up later on down the line if you're so inclined.

Think of it this way, if you were looking for a nice used car for your daughter to drive, would you skimp on $250 when you knew she was getting a good deal? Absolutely not. That is a $1500 car and then some.

But, if it's only worth $1200 to you, let it sit and let the seller come to you. He'll come through eventually if the market decides it's a $1500 car or not...

If it's a driver, why sink all the $ into it? Drive it and enjoy it. Heck, you may be able to put a good buff on it and not have to paint it. Theres lotsa paint restorative products out there. You can put the HO upper intake and throttle body on it. I can't remember the size difference (mm) but it is considerable.
    -Eric
    85 SVO 1C
    93 LX 2.3 5 spd stripper, no PW, PL, PM, w/ A/C & Sunroof
    92 Harley Fat Boy
    92 LX 5.0 - Long gone and sadly missed
    84 Capri T-Top - gone
    10 GT Premium

Quote Originally Posted by mattquerio View Post
    Did any of these XR7's come with the 5.0 HO?? The ones I dig is those oh so hard to find 89-90ish XR7's with the supercoupe 3.8sc engine... havent seen one in a long time. Even if it is a 150hp 302 that car looks like it would be a great cruiser, and a nice daily driver with some minor work.
    No HO for the 87-88 body style. Just the 3.8 and a 5.0 EFI (I'm still not sure
    it may have a non HO roller motor?) The 89-90 was a different chassis, and
    had the optional 3.8 super charged engine.

Quote Originally Posted by lxcoupe86 View Post
    I'd say that's a $1500 car in my book... the weak link in these AOD cars has been at least partially remedied (rebuilt) so it looks good from both ways... can be a semi-reliable daily driver (as much as a 140k mile car can be), but it's a 5.0L so we all know it's got that "special something" and can eeeeeeeasy run to 200k if the little things are taken care of. And, it has the fox chassis appeal, so you can mod it up later on down the line if you're so inclined.

Think of it this way, if you were looking for a nice used car for your daughter to drive, would you skimp on $250 when you knew she was getting a good deal? Absolutely not. That is a $1500 car and then some.

But, if it's only worth $1200 to you, let it sit and let the seller come to you. He'll come through eventually if the market decides it's a $1500 car or not...
    Quote Originally Posted by etc1006 View Post
    If it's a driver, why sink all the $ into it? Drive it and enjoy it. Heck, you may be able to put a good buff on it and not have to paint it. Theres lotsa paint restorative products out there. You can put the HO upper intake and throttle body on it. I can't remember the size difference (mm) but it is considerable.
    Well, that's just it, I'd want to restore / improve it as a luxury sport car.
    I already have an old beater station wagon.

Looks worth 1500 to me. Being a 1988 it should have the 8.8" axle also.
    Matt
    1984 Thunderbird -- 1989 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Edelbrock 600 4bbl, 85 Mustang dizzy, Jegs o/r h pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Mustang AOD & shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Mustang front & rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 TC struts & shocks, and Mustang 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT hatch -- Explorer intake, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, 70mm MAF, 70mm throttle body, o/r H pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 Deluxe handle, clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster, and 3.27s
    (86 Mercury Cougar 5.0, 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 80 Mercury Zephyr 4 door) sold

If you dont want it, I do.

I luvs me a foxy Cougar ---- and I dont mean Demi Moore.
    13 Dodge Dart
    09 Shadow Sabre
    08 Caliber
    05 Aztek
    02 Avalanche
    02 Thunderbird
    01 Cadillac ETC
    98 Explorer
    96 Suzuki X-90
    89 Fleetwood
    89 Continental
    88 Town Car
    86 Silverado
    84 Fiero
    83 Town Car
    82 LN7
    82 EXP
    80 Mustang
    65 Continental
    62 Galaxie 500
    54 Packard

Stock never goes out of style.

Quote Originally Posted by dburdyshaw View Post
    If you dont want it, I do.

I luvs me a foxy Cougar ---- and I dont mean Demi Moore.

I don't think 1500 is a bad price either, but as stated above, wait on it a little and the price may come down.
    +
    ++
    +++
    ++++

Fun is fun, and done is done!

After thinking it over, I think I'd rather put the money into my Mustang

Thanks guys!

The seller wanted $2000, you think its worth $1200. The middle would be $1600. To me it would be worth the $1500. Its your money and only you can make the call.
    1982 Mustang GT

That's definitely a nice cush cruiser. If it was near me I'd buy it for my son and then drive it myself.

Where is it?
    2007 SL55 - Capri Blue - Leather, 487/560 WHP/WTQ at 13.5PSI

I'd say you are right on. Don't pay more than you want. "Worth it" is what you would part to have it.

I think it's worth $1,500.
    I push my fingers into my eyes......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

The original block might be a roller and it might not be. I'm leaning more towards yes, as I believe passenger vehicles that didn't already have roller blocks by the '87 model year started getting them then or a year later.

The original block is definitely not H.O. though, but it seems you already knew that. (Thunderbird/Cougar didn't get a H.O. 5.0L until '91, for those that didn't know.)
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast