Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Idle set help needed - 302 carbed motor

So I was dinking around with the Pace Car again a little this afternoon to try to adjust the carb and timing to see if I can get it to run better and I sort of did.
    I checked the timing and it was set about about 5-6 degrees. I bumped it to 11-12 degrees. My tach doesn't work so I am using a dwell meter to pick up the rpms. My RPMs are at 14 - 1500 at idle. The problem is, I can't adjust the idle. The carb is a Carter AFB and I can't adjust the idle set screw any...meaning it doesn't do anything. I can back it out but the linkage doesn't move with it. How the heck am I supposed to get the idle back down to 850 - 900 at idle?

Also, since I set the timing and adjusted the mixture screws on the carb, the car does respond better but still smokes. It looks like my valve cover gaskets are puking oil and it's leaking on the headers causing the smoke. I've got some gaskets in the garage but I'm not sure if I want to change them out since I'm going to switch the motor out soon.

I have a rather long thread about this very problem in this section as we speak. The gurus on this great site said it was caused by a vacuum leak, and they were absolutely right.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

FEP Senior Member

Timing 14-16 to begin with. Put some WD40 on the linkage.

FEP Senior Member

Vacuum leak huh? Well, I'd be willing to bet I have a few of those. I'll check that out tomorrow. Thanks! Maybe I'll go to NAPA tomorrow and get a bunch of new vaccum hose since I know a lot of mine is pretty iffy.

Also, apparently, this is an old 60's era motor so I thought timing was lower on the older ones?