Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    FEP Senior Member

Default PsRumors' '84 GT Turbo Build Thread

Well after much thought, reading and the demoding of my 11 sec Trailblazer the '84 GT Turbo build has started. Parts are starting to arrive and the GT is in the shop on stands. I figure the build will take me at least 6 weeks to get the install, suspension setup and tune completed.

The car will be a very nice all around car, able to go to the track and break off solid 12s, run to the mountains and rival most cars as well as maintain its friendly driving ability. The car will remain looking basicly stock, maybe a slightly lower stance and updated wheels.

The list of items going on (already purchased);

ENGINE
    Stinger Front Mounted Intercooler
    BoPort 1.5 Billet Roller Cam - good idle, 3000 - 6500 rpm range, will advance as needed to keep low RPM power
    75lb Injectors
    20lbs of boost
    MegaSquirt to control it all

Suspension
    Maximum Motorsports Max Grip Box - minus the K member to keep the stock wheelbase / The kit includes just about anything and everything that can be done, coilovers, torque arm, full chassis stiffening, pan hard bar, etc

Brakes & Wheels
    4 wheel disc breaks - 13" fronts with PBR / Cobra Dual piston caliper / 12.5" Rear
    Maximum Motorsports Stainless Brake Hoses
    Maximum Motorsports Manual Brake setup - pedal (adjustable for leverage)
    Bullet 17" Wheels, tires to be determined

Last edited by psrumors; 03-10-2009 at 09:01 PM.
    Ron Gibson

'84 GT Turbo - Under construction - Build Thread - Maximum Motorsports, Cobra R, Boport, Chuck W, Stinger, Turbo_Dad MegaSquirt
    '83 Thunderbird TC - Bone Stock

Love the car, keep us posted on progress.
    +
    ++
    +++
    ++++

Fun is fun, and done is done!

FEP Senior Member

Thanks guys. The base run at the local 1/8th was 10.7. I hope next trip out to knock 2 seconds off that time.
    Ron Gibson

'84 GT Turbo - Under construction - Build Thread - Maximum Motorsports, Cobra R, Boport, Chuck W, Stinger, Turbo_Dad MegaSquirt

Quote Originally Posted by psrumors View Post
    Thanks guys. The base run at the local 1/8th was 10.7. I hope next trip out to knock 2 seconds off that time.
    Def post progress my next 4 eye is going to be a 2.3T and your list is nearly identical to mine...

I should have bought this car when it was for sale! DOH! Good luck with it...

FEP Super Member

Yup, keep it coming. I am redoing an 84 GT Turbo right now myself, so this thread hits close to my heart.
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."
    1979 Mustang Indy Pace 2.3T/4spd (sold on 1/10/16)
    1983 GLX vert 3.8/auto (triple black, sold on 10/8/13)
    1984 (early) Turbo GT (parts SLOWLY coming together)
    1985 Coupe 4.6L DOHC/IRS swapped (sold 9/10/17)
    1986 GT TTop 5spd (sold as of 10/8/13)
    1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe (Cobra IRS/Brakes/big turbo project)

friend,that is a good looking car. good luck

Hope you got a fat wallet for all those parts!!

Should be one sweet car when all said & done. The MM torque arm should help you drag launches but cars w road racing suspension generally don't make the greatest 1/4 mile cars.
    -Mike Malone
    69 Mach1, 81 LX, 83 GT Turbo, 85.5 SVO 9L, 86 SVO 2A, 86 GT, 90 LX 5.0 - and a badass 84 LTD Wagon

What a good lookin car..I'll be watchin the progress...

FEP Senior Member

Thanks Guys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AT6svo View Post
    Hope you got a fat wallet for all those parts!!

Should be one sweet car when all said & done. The MM torque arm should help you drag launches but cars w road racing suspension generally don't make the greatest 1/4 mile cars.
    Yeah, I am aware of the suspension. I will give up a little both ways. My 60 foots will never be spectacular but I am ok with that. The car will not be dedicated to one venue but rather do all things very good as compared to doing one excellent.

If I can break into the 1.8s 60' I should be ok.

As for the fat wallet, do you know the cost to make a 5000lb SUV run 11.3? I sold nearly all of the parts to dump into this car.
    Ron Gibson

I'll be watching this as well.

.... and now I miss my GT Turbo...
    I push my fingers into my eyes......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

FEP Super Member

There seem to be more GT Turbos showing up in recent times.
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."

Saw the for sale thread and what a great car, glad to see it will be getting even BETTER!

I also have a soft spot for '83-'84s
    '83 Hatch - PBR Front/GT rear disc, Steeda Sport Springs, Tokico Blues, MM CC plates, 87+ sway bars

FEP Senior Member

Well the Stinger FMIC is installed. I will be pulling the pipes shortly to have them powdercoated after which I will get pictures. I also put a K&N filter right on the VAM. I am now getting 14lbs of boost (full) at 2400 as compared to 2800.

I threw in a PE ecm until my Megsquirt is built. Took the car for a drive and it feels good. I haven't turned up the boost yet as I want to drive a couple days just to make sure the pipes aren't going to pop off.

The MM suspension is to be here on Wed. 6 packages 227 lbs..hehehe

I doubt I will start the suspension until next Monday. I want to run the car on Sunday. The last time the car was at the track it ran a 10.7 in the 1/8th. I want to know the difference the PE ecm makes.
    Ron Gibson

FEP Super Member

Which mega squirt are you getting?
    I just got the mega !! with the V3.0 board .
    I have it 90% built , and almost ready to put it in the car and see it it works .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    Which mega squirt are you getting?
    I just got the mega !! with the V3.0 board .
    I have it 90% built , and almost ready to put it in the car and see it it works .
    MS2 with the v3 board. Wilson Racing is building it for a plug and play. All I'll have to do is tune. Should make life a little easier. I hope to hear it shipps this week.
    Ron Gibson

FEP Senior Member

After some spirited driving last night in 55 degree weather I pulled out my trusty infered thermometer. At the turbo outlet the pipe was 176 at the intercooler outlet the pipe was 77.

So a 99 degree temp drop using Stinger's Front Mounted Intercooler. Not bad at all.
    Ron Gibson

FEP Senior Member

Here is the front mounted intercooler and the piping.

Ron Gibson

FEP Super Member

Very good drop ratio (temp). Installation looks good as well....he will be recieving about $900.00 of my money here soon for some quality parts for my GT Turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by psrumors View Post
    Here is the front mounted intercooler and the piping.

Awesome...paint it black though so you can't see it!

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 86GT2go View Post
    Very good drop ratio (temp). Installation looks good as well....he will be recieving about $900.00 of my money here soon for some quality parts for my GT Turbo.
    What are you planning on purchasing? I have been quite happy with my purchases from him thus far. Maybe some day I will get a stock location header. Till then I will stay on the ported e-6

Quote Originally Posted by n20capri View Post
    Awesome...paint it black though so you can't see it!
    Not a bad idea but I would be worried about hindering cooling. Also, you can't really see it from the front and when the car goes lower it will be even harder to see.
    Ron Gibson

FEP Super Member

Lots of stuff!! My order right now stands at the flex connectors for the downpipe and wastegate discharge tube, a high flow cat and muffler (3"in/3"out on both), all exhaust clamps, the split tailpipe( but instead of it being 2and1/2" in it will be 3" in), the 2.3 to 5.0 bellhousing adaptor and flywheel, and some other misc stuff.

Looks great Ron!

It's gonna run and handle like a beast when your done.
    Matt

1985 Cougar XR-7 5 speed manual.

Keep me posted on the Wilson squirt kit. I am thinking of ordering shortly, but have not heard any feedback.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mb84gt View Post
    Looks great Ron!

It's gonna run and handle like a beast when your done.
    Thanks, hope it does all of it while still looking basicly stock.

Quote Originally Posted by MeatSack View Post
    Keep me posted on the Wilson squirt kit. I am thinking of ordering shortly, but have not heard any feedback.
    Will do. It will be a couple weeks before I am ready to start running it but will post up.
    Ron Gibson

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast