Close

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Not sure how I missed this thread but very nice work,I bet she rides awesome. This has to be my new favorite Turbo Gt now. Looks great with the Bullits

FEP Senior Member

Thanks man!!!
    Ron Gibson

'84 GT Turbo - Under construction - Build Thread - Maximum Motorsports, Cobra R, Boport, Chuck W, Stinger, Turbo_Dad MegaSquirt
    '83 Thunderbird TC - Bone Stock

FEP Senior Member

Default Maximum Motorsports 4 Point K Member Brace

When I purchase the suspension I did not get the tubular k-member. The main reason is that it pushed the tire forward which could cause some triming of the fender to take place. I did buy the MM 4 point k-member brace for the factory k but never installed it. Been having to much fun.

Well, I took the half hour today to install it. It was a rather easy install. Nothing to mention or make it hard.

There have been mixed reviews by racers as to whether it really does anything or not. It may be psychological but I think it made a very significant difference. The front feels more tight. There is more feeling in the steering wheel not vibrations just seems to make everything more connected, like when installing subframe connectors though not that significant.

I still have two pieces left from MM to install, the poly rack bushings and the strut tower brace. I will install the rack bushings when I replace the rack not that it needs replacing but everything else has been touched.

I am still undecided on the strut tower brace. Many claim it is a gimic while many swear by them. I am just not certain I want it in the way.

I also picked up a Bob's log "header" to install but it may wait till I can get a T3/T4.
    Ron Gibson

'84 GT Turbo - Under construction - Build Thread - Maximum Motorsports, Cobra R, Boport, Chuck W, Stinger, Turbo_Dad MegaSquirt

FEP Super Member

Ron,
    Great to see the car again! Looks like you are getting a heck of a lot more done on yours than I am on mine. I just hope you don't sell it before I get mine finished (remember the photoshoot idea!).
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."
    1979 Mustang Indy Pace 2.3T/4spd (sold on 1/10/16)
    1983 GLX vert 3.8/auto (triple black, sold on 10/8/13)
    1984 (early) Turbo GT (parts SLOWLY coming together)
    1985 Coupe 4.6L DOHC/IRS swapped (sold 9/10/17)
    1986 GT TTop 5spd (sold as of 10/8/13)
    1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe (Cobra IRS/Brakes/big turbo project)

FEP Senior Member

I don't think it is going anywhere any time soon. I have had some interest but ALOT of flakes. I am not sweating it though. Come spring it will get painted.
    Ron Gibson

I put a 4-point K-member brace on my car years ago, when I used to open track it a lot. I can't say anything from lap times, but it certainly felt much more solid.

I've heard the same mixed answers as to whether a strut tower brace really helps. People with far more experience than me claim they could never tell a difference in terms of lap times. When I had mine on, it definitely felt stiffer. There was noticeably less cowl shake. It's off my car right now, since it interferes with my intake. One of these days, I'll get around to modifying it and putting it back.
    "I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car." - Will Shriner

'86 GT Mustang "Tigger"
    '95 GT convertible (wife's car)
    '86 SVO accursed car (sold)

FEP Senior Member

Good info. I figure these items may not actually increase lap times but may actually give more feedback for what the car is doing which should / could allow the driver to increase track times.

Of course it could all be snake oil and marketing gimick.
    Ron Gibson

I assume you'd like to reduce, not increase lap times.

Anyway, I basically agree on the better feedback to the driver. When it comes down to it, I like the feel of my car with the strut tower brace more than without it, so I prefer to have one. Admittedly, it could be I'm a victim of good marketing.

For whatever it's worth, my favorite brace is the one from Maier Racing. It's the only one I've seen that ties in directly to the strut tower mount.
    "I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car." - Will Shriner

'86 GT Mustang "Tigger"
    '95 GT convertible (wife's car)
    '86 SVO accursed car (sold)

FEP Senior Member

Yes decrease / reduce lap times....my brain thinks faster than my fingers can type or vice versa.
    Ron Gibson

sweet car! its amazing how much better MM stuff is! quality wise
    57 chev p/u 4x4
    92 bimini lx
    93 cobra
    03 Navigator
    79 pace car build--> http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=85264

what a great build and your car looks SWEET ...

FEP Senior Member

Thanks guys. It's still a work in progress.
    Ron Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by psrumors View Post
    I don't think it is going anywhere any time soon. I have had some interest but ALOT of flakes. I am not sweating it though. Come spring it will get painted.
    Ron, will you be painting the entire car, or just the hood/nose? Other than those areas, the paint was still decent.
    Matt

1985 Cougar XR-7 5 speed manual.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mb84gt View Post
    Ron, will you be painting the entire car, or just the hood/nose? Other than those areas, the paint was still decent.
    The paint is great for being original then to consider it is silver and 25 years old just adds to it. I really hate the idea of painting the car but don't want to piece it together either.

I have 4 or 5 months to decide.
    Ron Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by psrumors View Post
    The paint is great for being original then to consider it is silver and 25 years old just adds to it. I really hate the idea of painting the car but don't want to piece it together either.

I have 4 or 5 months to decide.
    That was always my concern as well. I wondered how well the paint would match if just doing the hood/nose.

Either way, great car.
    Matt

1985 Cougar XR-7 5 speed manual.

FEP Super Member

You keeping it the original silver Ron?
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."
    1979 Mustang Indy Pace 2.3T/4spd (sold on 1/10/16)
    1983 GLX vert 3.8/auto (triple black, sold on 10/8/13)
    1984 (early) Turbo GT (parts SLOWLY coming together)
    1985 Coupe 4.6L DOHC/IRS swapped (sold 9/10/17)
    1986 GT TTop 5spd (sold as of 10/8/13)
    1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe (Cobra IRS/Brakes/big turbo project)

FEP Senior Member

At this time I assume so. Might have to throw in a little something to the paint to make it pop but a good deep wet silver would look great.
    Ron Gibson

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678