Close

Default Problems with exhaust fitment

Ok Sunday I went to put exhaust on my 85 coupe. Everything went ok tell it was time to bolt up the h-pipe. When I went to do this I couldn’t get the headers and h-pipe to mate up properly it seemed like when I got one side bolted up the other side was about an inch off like the motor was in their a little sideways. Then I went back up top to get a different view on things then I noticed that the driver’s side header was resting on the steering shaft. I took a good look at the chassis and frame to make sure nothing was bent witch everything looked fine. I also took a good look at the motor mounts everything looked ok they might sag a little witch might fix everything I don’t know and I wont be able to get to tell this weekend. I’m wanting to cover all my bases so this weekend when I do get to it ill have a good idea of what to look for if the motor mount don’t fix it. The car came factor with 2.3 5speed car but now it’s got a 302 with a c4 did the 2.3 cars have a different k member? I’m putting BBK equal length headers with a BBK h-pipe that has flowmasters welded to it all the exhaust came out of my old 87 gt witch it fit fine under.

Any ideas?????

have you looked at your h-pipe hanger at all?

cale

Or you have a bad motor mount. Could have bent the exhaust maybe.

Any pics from the top and or bottom.
    +
    ++
    +++
    ++++

Fun is fun, and done is done!

Get a torch and bend the pipe to make it fit.
    1990 Mustang LX 5.0 - Ran into a tree (fixed!)
    2005 Ranger XLT 4x4 - Daily Driver/Tow vehicle
    1992 Mustang LX 2.3 - MPG baby yeah!
    1994 Explorer - Fix 'n Flipper

This post may help you:

X-pipe don't fit!

You symptoms sounds just like what I faced.

I did what Tony suggested except I left it bolted up to the headers (as best as I could) and wedged a bottle jack between an 8"x4" and an 4"x4" boards. Jacked it a part and ran the nuts on the factory Ford headers tight.

That method may not work too well with aftermarket headers since they force you to use a wrench on the other side to keep the bolt from spinning (they don't have studs like the Ford factory headers).

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Quote Originally Posted by gdniel View Post
    Or you have a bad motor mount. Could have bent the exhaust maybe.

Any pics from the top and or bottom.
    my old car that everything came off of had solid mounts and it all bolted right up. this car might have bad mounts im going to change those this week end and see if that fixs it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    This post may help you:

X-pipe don't fit!

You symptoms sounds just like what I faced.

I did what Tony suggested except I left it bolted up to the headers (as best as I could) and wedged a bottle jack between an 8"x4" and an 4"x4" boards. Jacked it a part and ran the nuts on the factory Ford headers tight.

That method may not work too well with aftermarket headers since they force you to use a wrench on the other side to keep the bolt from spinning (they don't have studs like the Ford factory headers).

Dean T
    link didnt work

Default update

Ok yesterday I finally finished getting my exhaust on. Not only where the motor mounts bad but it had the wrong motor mounts on it. I replace the mounts and brackets then I had to grind out the welds on the transmission cross member so I could slide the hole motor and trans forward about an inch then it bolted right up.

'79 Pace Car 5.0 (well 4.2 until better days)
    '80 Capri 2.3 (sold ) - '79 Hatchback 2.3 (sold ) - '80 Notchback 3.3 (junk yard )

I am not sure about an '85 Mustang, but some motors will sit an inch further back or forward if the mounts are installed backwards. Make sure they are on the right side.

Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive55 View Post
    I am not sure about an '85 Mustang, but some motors will sit an inch further back or forward if the mounts are installed backwards. Make sure they are on the right side.
    The old mounts and brackets were completely different from the new ones.