Close

Thread: Starting Issues

Default Starting Issues

I recently upgrade my starter to a PMGR one and have been having grounding issues lately. I have going thru 2 engine block ground strap...I have had to replace the starter, Alt, Voltage Regulator and starter solenoid.

Could someone send me some pictures, post or tell how a mustang should be properly grounded. I have one 8g wire from the passenger side head to firewall, another from the black ground post on the alternator to the frame and the negative cable from the battery to the inside frame not far from where the starter solenoid is located.

Currently the she will not start, the light dim when the key is turn on. I have voltage when I tested the connection, I check the ground cable and they check out fine.

I ran the wiring of the starter this way: I connect the black cable from the starter to the positive terminal on the solenoid with the positive cable from the battery. I ran a 14g wire the lower left terminal on the starter to the negative terminal post on the starter solenoid where the black cable used to be.

I do not know what the problem is I am only assuming that it is a grounding issue.

I don't have any pics but my mustang is grounded both to the engine block, and from there the cable comes up to the battery where it is grounded to the frame. After that it connects to the negative terminal.

My battery is connected directly to the alternater bypassing the cars wiring harness. From the alternator the stator wire connects to the choke on my carb, and there is another wire going to the voltage regulator.

If you check my previous threads you will find someone posted some diagrams of the alternator and the proper wiring.

I have a 1 Ga. cable from the block to the frame as well as two firewall straps. Can't over ground one, especially a EFI car.
    1979 Zephyr, EFI GT40P 5.0, Mac longtubes, Dynomax exhaust, AODE transmission, 3.27 geared 8.8, subframe connectors, Lakewood uppers/lowers, trunk mounted battery, fuel cell >
    < My Photo Galleries: http://s474.photobucket.com/user/Ltn...?sort=3&page=6
    More GT40P info than you ever wanted to know...http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1014187

make sure where your grounds are that it is making a good connection. there may be rust or paint there, if so, clean it up real good. I always use no smaller than a 4 gauge wire for grounding.
    "I'm a mental patient, I'm suppose to act out!"

Try running a ground cable directly to the block (not via the firewall).

Thanks for the information...I will post a reply on the progress.