Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by TWR2003 View Post
    Jeff,
    You are talking to the wall.

These young kids have ALL be taken in by the slick madison ave advertising in the Mustang magazines (oops, can I say Mustang without being sued by Ford?). They have to have the 'hottest' ignition - 100 jillion megajoules. 255lph fuel pumps (not that they even could tell you how much a liter actually is). 130 AMP alternators (even though they could run every electrical item in their car - all at once - and their big sound systems too, all for 40-50 amps, tops. But can they tell you what an amp is?). 750 CFM 'double pumper' carbs (but what, exactly is a cubic feet?) Bigger is better - no way around it. Horse Power. Cigarettes are good for you too (I saw an ad in a glossy magazine - 'young' 'robust' 'good looking' young people smoking - now thats where its at).

T
    Theres nothing wrong with my ignition system but I've wanted an MSD for a while. All the local modded cars(non-ricer) run them jut about. I think the vac-advance dizzy works ands its a new one. Considering chaging the coil and other parts or moving them. THis young guy isnt easilly fooled with his old mind. I dont see any problem with a decent sound system with replacement speakers and one or two 10inch subs in the back. I have pursuit of function first and when I'm done I will enjoy smoking my Djarum Blacks.

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post

Look, everyone likes shiny new stuff, including me. But let's be clear about what
    actually provides a performance advantage, and what's just shiny new stuff.

The stock Ford distributor is arguably a better design than MSD's GM/Ford hybrid.
    That advance mechanism way up top may make advance changes easier, but
    that's not the best place for it to be from a stability/reliability perspective. Those
    long thin advance weights don't help either. Most of the improvements MSD lists
    as selling points would not have been necessary if they'd started with a better
    advance design, down closer to a supported area of the shaft.

At least they do use the Duraspark pickup coil and cap...

Just sayin'.
    I could not agree with you more. I just know that you cant convince a young guy that Duraspark is sexy. BTW I mean no offence to anyone 'young'. Im probably one of the oldest customers here at FEP. To me everyone else is young.

One last thing on the smoking. Im one those a&&hole 'reformed' smokers. I smoked for over 25 years. The saddest thing about seeing a young person light up a cigarette today is that a cigarette company executive - who would not let his own kids smoke - looks at that and is laughs his a&& off. Sad.

T
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.

I dunno.... tell you what, let's go to the strip, I'll give you a buck for every Ford that's
    running a Duraspark system and you give me a buck for every Ford that's running an
    MSD system, and I'll buy the beer and chili dogs.

See, there's the problem. You think that just because people are running the
    aftermarket stuff, that somehow proves it must always be better? It does not.

Does that "Billions and Billions Served" sign prove McDonalds makes the best
    hamburgers? It does not.

I'd be surprised if 10% of those guys at the track actually know the first thing
    about how an ignition system actually works. The rest are just sheep. But at
    least those guys can get contingency money.

Then you have the street guys, who know even less, being sold stuff they
    don't need, because the racers use it. That's marketing for you.

Google the term "post hoc, ergo propter hoc"...
    Last edited by JACook; 03-10-2009 at 09:27 PM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Dude, you need to lighten up.

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    Dude, you need to lighten up.
    Yeah, you're probably right. I did say some pretty unkind things about sheep
    back there. Crossed the line. Sorry.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Yeah, you're probably right. I did say some pretty unkind things about sheep
    back there. Crossed the line. Sorry.
    Yeah no need to insult sheep. Not only do they make good clothes but can be damn tasty too!

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by TWR2003 View Post
    One last thing on the smoking. Im one those a&&hole 'reformed' smokers. I smoked for over 25 years.

T

Congrats on quitting. I know it is a hard thing to do.
    84 Mustang GT, 91 roller motor,Gt40 heads, vic jr intake, quickfuel 650 carb, MSD ignition, TFS stage 1 cam, 3.73gears in 8.8, rear disc conversion, some nitrous.

Does that "Billions and Billions Served" sign prove McDonalds makes the best
    hamburgers? It does not.
    I'm lovin' it! LMAO!
    1985 Mercury Capri GS - 5.0, 5-Speed, Ported E7s, FMS F303, TFS Valve Springs, Summit Stage 2 Intake, Holley Street Avenger 570, BBK Longtubes, BBK O/R H-Pipe, Flowmasters, Dumps, FRPP HD Clutch, Pro 5.0, Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms, and tons of satisfaction when I can say, "I just beat you with a Mercury!"

1983 Mercury Capri RS Crimson Cat - 5.0, 4-Speed, T-roof.

Well, more races won by MSD, is not exactly apples and apples. Besides, it's lunchtime,
    and my MickyDee chicken ranch combo is pretty tasty!

Quote Originally Posted by kirks5oh View Post
    what about using one of the blaster coils?? i'm looking to keep my duraspark ignition.
    I'm using stock duraspark with a blaster coil and it starts/idles/revs like a million bucks.. i see no need to blow a paycheck on msd stuff when my 20 some year old ford stuff is working just fine
    1986 beige lx 5.0 conversion - 306ci. edelbrock 1.94 performer rpm aluminum heads, performer rpm airgap intake, performer rpm cam, roller rockers,moroso oil pan, edelbrock 600cfm carb, bbk shorties, offroad h-pipe, flowmaster 40 series mufflers 2.5 pipes, holley high flow fuel pump, T-5 tranny, 8.8 rear with 3.73 gears,aluminum rad, driveshaft loop, weld in sub-fram connectors, 5-bolt cragar SS wheels
    best run: 13.3 at 101.6mphhttp://www.youtube.com/jakesmustang1986

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123