Close

Default Update on the quest for HID's

I have been messing with this off and on for quite awhile. I finally got 1 of them sealed up, and got a few pics. (Phone pics, not the best)

HID assy:

LH is HID RH is H4 halogen:

Vew at projector:

And, the problem:
    I made the assembly too long, and it hits the metal behind the header, so I have to figure out how to work around.
    1983 GLX vert
    88 roller motor
    Intake/Exhaust/Underdrives/Turbocoupe t5
    13.79 @ 96.29 1.86 60'

1986 Mustang Gt
    95 longblock w/smog bumps removed/TFS1 cam/Explorer intake/Hedman Long tubes/Mac catback 252hp/311tq
    13.05@102.55

That's pretty cool. Have you tested them yet?

If all is good, write a tech article!

Wow, that is a very noticeable difference between sides. I'm guessing that is the low beam side?

Looking good so far, keep up the good work!

So they hit the core support? I'm working on an HID setup for my car but I'm not going to use a conversion headlight housing. I'm using an Infiniti projector that's about 3" in diameter & made a metal plate to mount it in (kinda like Chris Wood). My header panel isn't on the car so I never thought about the core support. Keep up the good work!

Is that a 350z projector?

Yep, those are form a 350Z. Probably not the best projector for this project, but for $25 for the pair, it was too cheap to pass up!. I'm off thursday, so I'll have some daylight to take a look if I can trim to make clearance for the hid to fit right. I also thought about getting longer screws for ajusting, and making it so the whole headlight bucket gets moved out a bit. I'm hoping I can keep them in the original location though. I am going to make them work one way or another though. The light output is just so much better, plus once the HID is lit, the power draw is considerably less than a halogen bulb.
    1983 GLX vert
    88 roller motor
    13.79 @ 96.29 1.86 60'

1986 Mustang Gt
    95 longblock w/smog bumps removed/TFS1 cam/Explorer intake/Hedman Long tubes/Mac catback 252hp/311tq
    13.05@102.55

I plan on eventually using projectors but not HID, they are for regular bulbs for Euro trucks.

I want to do an HID conversion for mine too. I was thinking I would use the H4 conversion headlights (like on ebay) and fabricate a new insert into the bulb mount and use a 9006 HID. I did something like this on my old E30 M3 and it worked great. Interesting!

I had H4 adapters with D2R Philips bulbs, but from this pic, you can see why I took them out.
    1983 GLX vert
    88 roller motor
    13.79 @ 96.29 1.86 60'

1986 Mustang Gt
    13.05@102.55

Yeah, but I plan on using a set of Hella HID elements and ballasts from my EVO VIII. It is a 9006 style element, so I will have to do some fabrication, but not to much, and the element won't stick out beyond the H4 fixture more than a 1/2". We shall see in about 3 weeks

bump for more info please

I'm pretty sure they sell these on ebay...i know they sell the halo looking ones.
    -EVIL SSP-
    '85 KY Highway Patrol SSP Coupe
    Walk around/exhaust clip

-David

Are you talking about the sealed-beam conversion housings with projectors built-in? Those are halogen projectors, not HID.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Are you talking about the sealed-beam conversion housings with projectors built-in? Those are halogen projectors, not HID.
    damnit, I guess HID is too much troube....

I'm still trying to figure out what I need to do to run HIR's.