Close

Default Driver side power window help.

I bought my 86gt with the drivers side window shattered.The previous owners buddy was tinting the windows and he said the window wouldnt roll up so he tried helping it with a plyer and the whole thing shattered.I cleaned all the glass out the window now and my gf's dad has a 84gt(i think,or 83) parts car with roll up windows but theyre still good so im getting the window outa it to put in mine.

Anyway,when i press the switch i can hear a very faint click or noise coming from the motor but absolutly NOTHING else hapens,so that means its not the switch right?So i used the search and found out it may be the gears or bushings inside the motor,or that everthing just needs lube or something.So what i wanted to do is baisicly confirm or ask if anyone else has had this experience and what they did to fix it.

Thanks in advance!
    God Bless
    1986 Mustang GT 5.0-T-5,Hurst Shifter,Custom Interior....Geting worked on,needs tlc,etc....

JESUS ROCKS MY WORLD!!!!

My driver side wouldn't do anything when I got it. I had to replace the motor. I also ordered the two square pieces that go on the slider to keep the window even I guess? I didn't need them but they were only $10. To be honest I can't see buying the bushing or the gear when the motors aren't that much money.

I cheaped out and bought the motor on evilbay for $41 shipped brand new. Hooked it up and haven't had any issues yet. Make sure the track isn't going sideways or that would jam up the track/motor as well. From what I understand a freewheeling sound requires the gear but the other noise could be due to bushing or the motor going out.

Once you take the door panel off you will see the few parts available for the window and the role they play in making it work. Then you will see what you need.

I could take a few pics on my driver door tomorrow since the panel is still off. That way I could show you what I mean if you haven't taken yours off yet.

Kk,well i got the panel off already n there sure isnt much room to work in the door lol,and i found cheap window motors too but id rather spend $10 and do more work on it thn spend $40 cause im on a super tight budget here =/....

I guess i'll just have to take the motor out and see whats up with it...
    1986 Mustang GT 5.0-T-5,Hurst Shifter,Custom Interior....Geting worked on,needs tlc,etc....

JESUS ROCKS MY WORLD!!!!

Once you get the three screws out you can see if the motor needs new gear or if you just need the bushing to keep the window straight.

Aight i'll check it out tomorrow =) Thanks Man

JESUS ROCKS MY WORLD!!!!

Oh just so you don't make the same mistake as me, double check both bushings. I thought there were two per car and really there are two per door.

Lol kk thanks for the heads up!

JESUS ROCKS MY WORLD!!!!

86 50CPRI

also,if the motor only makes a slight sound..might be the motor.Usually when the thrust bushings inside the motor go,you still hear the motor turn,just no motion. I know what you mean about the window guide bar bushings..best to change them now while the window is out,as I had to remove the window to install them.Also,take a picture for reference BEFORE you take it apart,as it gets confusing to know which way to re-assemble them when you're ready.

I got it out(the motor)and plug it back in and it works good.I take the gear cover thing off and theres bits and pieces of plastic.I read about it before but idk were to get it,the gear that is or whatever it is that belongs there.
    Also the little round clamp things that hold the window i guess,do i need to get new ones or how can i untighten them cause one still has glass in it.

And one more thing for now atleast,the whole assembly that holds the window when it goes up and down,is it supossed to be stiff and not have side to side movement cause mine seems loose although it seems to go up and down okay(i moved it with my hand).Or will the window stabalize it?

JESUS ROCKS MY WORLD!!!!

The glass is held in by rivets. You need to drill the old ones out and get new rivets and a rivet gun to install the new glass.

As for the gear thing, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Are you talking about the little gear on the outside of the motor that turns the gear on the window regulator assembly?

The window assembly may be loose without the glass in it. Although it shouldn't have much movement since the bushings on the assembly ride on the rod that goes up and done the door.

Hope that helps a little.

86 50CPRI

Good that the motor works.The little pieces of plastic you found are the 'thrust bushings'.I think there is another name,but don't know it. Do you have a Checkers,Oreilly's or AutoZone by you? They have these pieces in the 'Help' section,along with many other little doo dads you may have a use for. I have seen different stores carry different parts,though,so you may not see them in every store. Around here,in the southwest, these things bust up pretty regular,so you see them in the stores readily. All they are is little round cylinders,about the size of a 'AAA' battery,but 1/3 the length.My dimensions are most likely incorrect,but you should get the idea. They fit in between the drive pinion(the gear sticking out) and the inner gear off the motor itself. Clean out that recess real well of all the pieces,put some new grease in there,position the new bushings, and put it all together.Sounds easier than it is,but its not really that hard to put it all together,it just seems you need three hands at times.

To attach the window to the regulator,you have two choices. Get the correct attaching hardware from FoxMustang Resto, which includes the correct washers and bushings with the correct 1/4" rivets (you need the BIG rivet gun for these-arms are 12-18" long for leverage) or find yourself some little 1/4" screws and nuts to attach the window to the regulator. Iv'e done it both ways and prefer the rivets.

As far as side to side movement, what body style is your car? Solid roof cars have it easy because you have a door frame.This limits the freeplay of the window.T Top and convertibles have no frame,so you need to control movement and freeplay with the attaching hardware inside the door. This is where the guide rod bushings come into play.These go around the vertical rod inside the door,and fit into the little plates the guide rod goes through.Again,available at FMR if yours are toast. Good Luck!
    Last edited by 86 50CPRI; 11-11-2009 at 02:22 PM.

Okay,i have a rivet gun aswell as rivets,and we have autozone,o'riellys,abc,and napa so between them all im sure i'll find what i need . As for the side to side movement im pretty possitive the window will take car of that.

Thanks for your help guys and if anything else comes up i'll be sure to ask again

Oh and if i remember i'll come back here once its done and let yall know how it went,might be a week though...

JESUS ROCKS MY WORLD!!!!

86 50CPRI

I was going to do a writeup about doing this,but forgot to take pictures

86 50CPRI

here you go:
    http://www.foxresto.com/products/vie...on_Torque_Pins

and these too:
    http://www.foxresto.com/products/vie..._Retaining_Kit

BTW: if you have a solid roof car,one of these kits per door. If you have a TTop or Vert,there are three per window,so you need one and a half kits per door,or three for the car.Ask me how I know Unfortunately,the descriptions dont tell you that.

And these too:
    http://www.foxresto.com/products/vie...ng_Hatch_Coupe
    Last edited by 86 50CPRI; 11-11-2009 at 02:23 PM.

Hey thanks for the links,i'll get em from there if i dont find what i need in town.And my car is solid roof

JESUS ROCKS MY WORLD!!!!

Its in!!! I got the window outa the parts car friday with the help of my gf's dad and we just bent the door to were we took it out with the rivets and track all still intact.

Me and my dad put it in tonight like 15mins ago.We just bent the door open so much untill we could slip it all in,before that we of course took the guide rod thing out and then once the window was in we put the rod back in...
    Wasnt reallyyy that hard between the 2 of us and the door bent back good.

I just ended up getting the 3 little plastic pieces that go into the motor from O'Riellys and then just greased and cleaned everything up and it worked real good.I also greased the rods in both doors along with the tracks and bushings so everythings all good now and they both work good!

Thanks for Your help guys!
    God Bless,
    Jared

JESUS ROCKS MY WORLD!!!!

86 50CPRI

Another success story!! Glad to point you in the right direction