Close

Default decisions decisions 79 pace car?

Hey all not much of a poster but i am on all the time looking around.
    I am having a hard time deciding the direction to take my pace car any insight would be apreciated.

I bought my 79 pace car as a roller for $500 it is straight no rust realy paint is faded bad needs a total restoration in and out but it is all there minus the engine trans wheels and tires, originaly it was a v-8 manual a/c car so not realy rare that i think i need to keep it original.
    my options my 89 drag car is a pure beeter pos but engine wise it kicks ass full on 89 ssp coupe with a 351w turbo that makes close to 700 hp it is an anamal my thoughts are to pull all my complete drive terain out of the car an put it in the pace car! then do just a basic paint and new sticker kit.?

or
    my second option build a 408 out of a spare 351w block keep it carbed basicly restore the car back with the a/c tremmec ect

my goals are basicly the same with either engine combo cost will be basicly a wash. but i want to be able to drive, race, show the car.

thoughts?
    57 chev p/u 4x4
    92 bimini lx
    93 cobra
    03 Navigator
    79 pace car build--> http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=85264

FEP Power Member

Thumbs up

Your drag car sounds like a beast. If you want to street drive the car and show, then I would go the 351 rebuild. Those cars don't need tons of HP to have fun with...

Quote Originally Posted by speedbunch View Post
    Hey all not much of a poster but i am on all the time looking around.
    I am having a hard time deciding the direction to take my pace car any insight would be apreciated.

I bought my 79 pace car as a roller for $500 it is straight no rust realy paint is faded bad needs a total restoration in and out but it is all there minus the engine trans wheels and tires, originaly it was a v-8 manual a/c car so not realy rare that i think i need to keep it original.
    my options my 89 drag car is a pure beeter pos but engine wise it kicks ass full on 89 ssp coupe with a 351w turbo that makes close to 700 hp it is an anamal my thoughts are to pull all my complete drive terain out of the car an put it in the pace car! then do just a basic paint and new sticker kit.?

or
    my second option build a 408 out of a spare 351w block keep it carbed basicly restore the car back with the a/c tremmec ect

my goals are basicly the same with either engine combo cost will be basicly a wash. but i want to be able to drive, race, show the car.

thoughts?
    I think you should sell that crappy old Pace Car to me so you can focus on your notch.

I wouldn't personally want to see a drag pace car. Now that spare 351, for a nice running driver would be HOT!
    1985 Mustang 5.0 coupe - dad's
    1983 Mustang GT sold deeply missed
    1981 Mercury Capri sold, not so missed (too far gone)
    1991 LX 5.0 vert sold
    2000 GT 75 mm TB, PP upper plenum, CAI, x pipe w/flows, SCT xcal 2 with a BAMAchips custom tune

Chris Wood

I say do the 408/tremec thing, restore the body back to its glory and enjoy!

Well, you're right, it's not an extremely rare car. But it is still a pace car. Obviously it needs paint. I'd paint it factory colors and put the decal kit back on to make it look stock. Beyond that, it has no drive train in it now. If you have parts to put together, go for it. A 408 is my idea of a good time! Worst case, if you want it all original again, the drive train can always be swapped. You're talking about a weekend project, no big deal. I hate to see cars hacked apart, but I have no problem going all out when you acquire a car as a roller to begin with. If it is a rare car, I always like to see them returned to stock, but I don't see any reason why it has to be done right away! Just don't hack them up with full cages going through perfectly good dashes and crazy paint schemes and I'll be happy. (Or at least don't tell me if you do!)
    1985 Mercury Capri GS - 5.0, 5-Speed, Ported E7s, FMS F303, TFS Valve Springs, Summit Stage 2 Intake, Holley Street Avenger 570, BBK Longtubes, BBK O/R H-Pipe, Flowmasters, Dumps, FRPP HD Clutch, Pro 5.0, Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms, and tons of satisfaction when I can say, "I just beat you with a Mercury!"

1983 Mercury Capri RS Crimson Cat - 5.0, 4-Speed, T-roof.

Whats the VIN #? I once got parts off of one of the 75 or so 500 Festival cars that were used at Indy. Its last 6 was 480054. It was gone and crushed before I read an article on Festival cars and figured out it was one of them. I had the chance to buy its salvageable shell for $100 but passed on it. Some of the 500 Festival cars VIN #s might have been as high as 480100 but I'm not sure.
    V8 Pace cars with a.c. seem to be uncommon in my experience.
    2011 Ranger 2.3 5 speed Supercab XLT
    2009 Ranger 2.3 5 speed Longbed XL
    2004 Ranger 2.3 5 speed Longbed XL
    Former vehicles:
    79 Pace Car 5.0 4sp ex showroom stock racer.
    79 Pace Car 5.0 auto.