Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what's this??

Quote Originally Posted by Marz View Post

But whatever. It's your 4K. An original 85 GT 4bbl 5spd t-top car it getting really hard to find. But hey.... who cares right?
    not hard for me to find, it was sitting in my uncle's garage the whole time. he hadn't driven it in years, with no plan to--so i saved it, in a way.

i'm not gutting the car and racing it, just cleaning up unnecessary stuff-it will appear stock otherwise--that's the way i keep all my cars, so this car will be no different.

Quote Originally Posted by kirks5oh View Post
    not hard for me to find, it was sitting in my uncle's garage the whole time. he hadn't driven it in years, with no plan to--so i saved it, in a way.

i'm not gutting the car and racing it, just cleaning up unnecessary stuff-it will appear stock otherwise--that's the way i keep all my cars, so this car will be no different.
    You're not really understanding my post. Yeah, YOU found it very easily.

We'll just agree to disagree here. But, cleaning up the "unnecessary stuff" is not keeping it to "apear stock!"

Whatever. It's your car you can butcher it however you want.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

You're not really understanding my post. Yeah, YOU found it very easily.

We'll just agree to disagree here. But, cleaning up the "unnecessary stuff" is not keeping it to "apear stock!"

Whatever. It's your car you can butcher it however you want.
    i'm understanding perfectly fine. you're not picking up on my sarcasm. i must admit i'm used to forums egging people on to modify their car further, not keep it completely stock. in all honesty, many of these hoses are cracked, and probably leaking. i'm not going to spend money to replace them, when i can just delete them.

i like the car to look stock on the outside. none of my cars have wings, body kits, or really any cosmetic mods whatsoever, other than wheels--that's what i was referring to. i can agree to disagree.

Never said you were moving to Cali. But just wait. Cali will be moving to you if it gets it's way.
    LOL, yep. Just ask Phoenix and Las Vegas residents.

I removed my stuff too, for the same reasons (old and cracked). I have it all, including the OE intake/EGR in a box. There are quite a few guys on this board who like to keep these cars original. That's one of the things I appreciate about FEP. Marz is right, though. You never know when you may need to at least visually pass an inspection with the original smog stuff...or move to a state that is not as lenient. So far in my area, as long as you have your cats, most of the garages will look under the hood...but not too hard. It's kinda sad really. Once a car gets to be a certain age, they should just leave you alone. I'm willing to bet none of the cars in China and Russia have catalytic converters on them, buy we are the big bad polluters.

RANT OFF-- Now, as for your car, you can block off the vent tubes on the bowls...it has standard vents (the vertical ones). You don't really NEED the vacuum switch with the broken off nipple. It is nice for a daily driver, though. I have mine hooked to the snorkels to open the heat diverter doors when it's cold. Then when it warms up, the diverter doors shift to allow cool outside air into the air cleaner. You can get these vacuum switches all day long at the parts stores. If not, you can hook your distributor to the nipple on the carb that is up higher and close to the choke (where your blue arrow starts). That's your ported advance. The big 3/8" port at the front base of the carb is your PCV...goes to the oil cap PCV valve as stated already. You need that one. Keep the big 3/8" port on the manifold hooked to the black tree on the firewall. That vacuum runs your brake booster, vacuum accumulator, and HVAC vent controls. Other than that, if in doubt, cap it off, and definitely cap off any unused ports on the carb/intake. Good luck...nice car. I miss my black '85.
    Last edited by grtskydog; 02-23-2009 at 12:55 PM.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

i'm understanding perfectly fine. you're not picking up on my sarcasm. i must admit i'm used to forums egging people on to modify their car further, not keep it completely stock. in all honesty, many of these hoses are cracked, and probably leaking. i'm not going to spend money to replace them, when i can just delete them.

i like the car to look stock on the outside. none of my cars have wings, body kits, or really any cosmetic mods whatsoever, other than wheels--that's what i was referring to. i can agree to disagree.
    The only thing I will accept is if you pull a "KJ" and keep it looking four eye and original on the outside but mod everything else. KJ took very rare 86 T-top 5L notch and made it into a supercar. The thing is Super fast that only the tech editor of 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords could do. Just google "KJ Jones' T-top coupe" on google and you'll see what I mean. Here's a bunch of pictures.

Last edited by Marz; 02-23-2009 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grtskydog View Post
    LOL, yep. Just ask Phoenix and Las Vegas residents.
    Yeah. the plague is spreading. :crap:

I think "clean" air to breath is a pretty good idea? With so many cars on the roads today we have to have strict emissions standards. I just hope they don't go crazy and do away with the 5k miles per year/speciality car exemptions.

friend thats a nice car you have there. and yes you should consider your self very lucky to have found a car on that type of shape.you have to understand what this guys are telling you. most of them will kill for a car on that shape,also to be onmolested.but againg is your car so do what ever you whant.hope that a few years down the road you dont look back and regret like has happen to lot of us.good luck

Quote Originally Posted by PR84stang View Post
    friend thats a nice car you have there. and yes you should consider your self very lucky to have found a car on that type of shape.you have to understand what this guys are telling you. most of them will kill for a car on that shape,also to be onmolested.but againg is your car so do what ever you whant.hope that a few years down the road you dont look back and regret like has happen to lot of us.good luck
    i know this. and i've resisted any urge to gut it and make it a race car. i will probably drive it less than 3k miles per year, and baby the hell out of it, like i do with my other fox--drove it less than 1000 miles last year. you guys are making me want to keep all that emissions crap, which i will probably do now.

Quote Originally Posted by grtskydog View Post
    . If not, you can hook your distributor to the nipple on the carb that is up higher and close to the choke (where your blue arrow starts). That's your ported advance. .
    i might do this, we'll see.

thanks for all the info

you be surprise how ship you can get some of the emissions stuff. when i use to work on the field (mechanic 25 years) i learn to appreciate cars that had that suff on them and working properly. will run good and save gas.that was the main reason why they put that stuff in the first place,back on the 70`s.most of the stuff on efi cars are pretty much the same thing but, enginner to be control by the computer.the problem is that lot of people dont understand how this things work and get bend out of shape.if you have a car that is missing most of the stuff is another story.but yours is a jewel. is like having a model-t from the 20`s or 30`s on good working condition.

Quote Originally Posted by PR84stang View Post
    Exactly. I was lucky enough to find my 85 in kinda/sorta unmolested condition. The previous owner had moved the battery to the back in a non vented to the outside battery box (not good for a hatch!), tossed in a 8.8" rear with 3.73 gears, Converted to True Duals, tossed subframes on it, put convertible bracing on it, and added a MSD 6AL box on it.

I relocated the battery BACK into the engine bay, tossed the F'ed up MSD 6AL (he wired it wrong which lead to eventually killing the box) for the stock Duraspark box and a MSD Blaster Coil. Completely re-wired the stuff he messed up in the Engine bay.... specially the engine harness. I also got rid of non-stock pointless items in the cab as well.

But that wasn't all!

I had to fix the issues he created with the Ford remanufactured engine engine he tossed in (long story)!

The guy had done a couple tasteful mods to the car. I fixed some and made some of my own tasteful mods. The car still looks stock except I did the stuff I listed on my cardomain site. And the rims will soon be back to Ten holes... just SSP ten holes now!

At least the stuff I removed really wasn't useful!

i might do this, we'll see.

thanks for all the info
    Ported advance is the port on the base....

Ported advance is the port on the base....
    so hook the distributor vaccuum hose up to the hose with the white line coming out of it??

so hook the distributor vaccuum hose up to the hose with the white line coming out of it??
    No. It's where you had the number 3 and a vacuum line circled. When I was trouble shooting my car (previous owner created issue.... ) I bypassed the temp operated vacuum tree and went straight to that port on the carb.. Caorse I have it hooked up stock now. :P

Really the only reason for that vacuum tree is to switch from the manifold advance when the engine is cold to carb port advance when the engine is warmed up. It really does help with how the engine runs.

Also, may be a good idea and a little fun to buy a wieand stealth intake and a demon carb on that since you're removing the emissions. Just store all those original emission parts for if the car is ever sold or if nazi-like smog enforcement comes to town. You will notice a power difference even with those stock E5 heads with the better intake! Though the heads are restrictive... like the E7's (no too much of a difference really).

thanks, and i'll keep all the stock emissions stuff--you've convinced me. i'll have pics up of everything cleaned up hopefully soon

thanks, and i'll keep all the stock emissions stuff--you've convinced me. i'll have pics up of everything cleaned up hopefully soon
    Awesome!

And more pictures of the car!

Oops, sorry for the bad tech. That port with the white line is a 4180 thing. I think it's some kind of partial-vacuum source. No, don't use that one.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

honestly kirk, i would keep that stuff. i don't have it on my car and i wish it did (i'm actually going through the process of putting it back on). i hate emissions b/s as much as the next guy, but the garage wreaking of gasoline all the time is really starting to irk me. i would extend the lines and stick that stuff up in the fender, unless you like your garage stinking of gas fumes all the time, and coming within a 6ft radius of the car and it smelling like gas turns you on.

cale

LOL, actually I love the smell of gas.
    Tom

CAMMED & SLAMMED! For more build pics and updates: http://www.facebook.com/SINISBuilt

For being "BUILT not BOUGHT" I am still broke!

Quote Originally Posted by 69clark View Post
    LOL, actually I love the smell of gas.
    it's not good smelling like at the gas station i should add, more like what it smells like when it's on your hands.

cale

Quote Originally Posted by cb84capri View Post
    it's not good smelling like at the gas station i should add, more like what it smells like when it's on your hands.

cale
    so far this car smells no where near as bad as my '87. i'm used to my clothes stinking after driving it. that car has no emissions, no cats, and is currently untuned--i need to add cats and get it tuned. i'll try to get some more pics tonight

FEP Power Member

Last year I was thinking of doing the same to my original 85. These guys talked me out of it and I am really glad they did. I replaced the two miles of hose in the car (cost a small fortune) and detailed all the fittings and smog equipment, but it appears all stock with all emssions equipment. Now I get compliments at local cruises because it is all there! Make sure you split all the hoses that you are going to replace with a blade or the brittle T's will snap off. Also I would do one hose at a time because it can get real confusing, especially down by the charcoal canisters.
    85 GT vert

The only thing I will accept is if you pull a "KJ" and keep it looking four eye and original on the outside but mod everything else. KJ took very rare 86 T-top 5L notch and made it into a supercar. The thing is Super fast that only the tech editor of 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords could do. Just google "KJ Jones' T-top coupe" on google and you'll see what I mean. Here's a bunch of pictures.

even for me ,that was too rare of a car to turn into a race car. i stopped buying there magzine over that one. i wish you could put a bounty on stupid people like that.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    was in 3rd gear, right foot to the floor and Cones where flying!

1)who cares if you don't like my functional illiterate

2)if i write like a 2nd grader, isn't that still better than texting?

3)yes ,i'm a French-fry short of a happy meal.

4)Statistically speaking, six out of seven dwarfs aren't Happy

yeah, i followed that build--the t-top coupe build.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast