Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTVince View Post
    The caliper will physically bolt to the bracket, but the placement will be wrong. It may be "close enough", but that would be your decision.

If you are going to use TC calipers and rotors why wouldn't you use TC brackets? You can buy just the brackets from North Race Cars. You may be able to get just the brackets from SSBC also.

--Vince
    Ok, thanks for the info. I thought I might try the 94-04 bracket because I can get a set easily. I think now I will try and get Turbo Coupe brackets or order the ones from North Race Cars.

Nice write-up! Been doing it this way for a while now. Great way to save money for both the Cobra or the GT/V6 brake conversions. Also just an FYI, Ford has discontinued the rear cobra mounting brackets. The best option if you want cobra rear brakes is the FRPP 2300-M kit. Plus as a bonus you get all the other parts. The other choices are the obvious junkyard or Ebay listings but my vote is with a new FRPP kit. Last time I checked they were backordered. Also does anyone have a good source for a spacer for the rear axle flange? This will allow the use of the Ranger/Aerostar axles to fit properly to the SN95 rear rotors.
    1985GT, FRPP Y heads, e303, Edelbrock intake, 3.55 8.8, Magnaflow exhaust w/ X-pipe, SN95 Cobra brakes, coil-over suspension, Need help w/ SN95 Brake upgrades or locating hard to find parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Red_85GT View Post
    Also does anyone have a good source for a spacer for the rear axle flange? This will allow the use of the Ranger/Aerostar axles to fit properly to the SN95 rear rotors.
    Disc Brakes R Us sells the spacer. Another option is a short piece of pipe with a 1/8" wall stock.

--Vince
    + Jalapeņo Red 1985 Mustang GT, 347 in^3, Canfield heads, 650DP, X-Celerator, & 1-5/8" LT's
    + Tremec 3550, D&D shifter, 3.73:1 gears, & TrueTrac differential
    + EVM watts & 3-link, Homemade LCA's, & Koni SA's
    + '00 Cobra R Brembos in front and SN95 Cobra rear brakes, R58 rims, & 275/40R17 Falkens
    www.1985mustanggt.com

Quote Originally Posted by fordgt40 View Post
    Ok, thanks for the info. I thought I might try the 94-04 bracket because I can get a set easily. I think now I will try and get Turbo Coupe brackets or order the ones from North Race Cars.
    i think i have a set of turbocoupe rear brackets from an 88
    88 mustang Coupri
    2001 F250 power stroke
    85 merkur XR4TI
    79 capri rs soon to be nice
    65 mustang fastback (big project)
    69 camaro rough (bigger project gift from wife)

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTVince View Post
    Disc Brakes R Us sells the spacer. Another option is a short piece of pipe with a 1/8" wall stock.

--Vince
    Vince, thanks for the reply. I will have to check on their pricing. Also very nice website you have devoted to the 85 GT. Your car looks great! Keep up the good work. Steve
    1985GT, FRPP Y heads, e303, Edelbrock intake, 3.55 8.8, Magnaflow exhaust w/ X-pipe, SN95 Cobra brakes, coil-over suspension, Need help w/ SN95 Brake upgrades or locating hard to find parts?

Thanks for the compliments.

It has taken many years (and many combinations), but I now have my '85 to the point that I am VERY satisfied with every aspect of it.

I'm glad that you like the website. It started because I wanted a place to keep facts about the '85 Mustang and pictures of all of the model years.

For the spacer ...from memory... the Fox hub is 2-1/4" and the SN95 hub is 2-1/2". If you get a piece of 2-1/2" pipe with a 1/8" wall stock then it should work perfectly. Some people get a piece of 2" pipe with 1/8" wall stock and cut a slit in it so that it is a pressure fit over the hub.

--Vince
    + Jalapeņo Red 1985 Mustang GT, 347 in^3, Canfield heads, 650DP, X-Celerator, & 1-5/8" LT's
    + '00 Cobra R Brembos in front and SN95 Cobra rear brakes, R58 rims, & 275/40R17 Falkens
    www.1985mustanggt.com

FEP Member

What is the purpose of the anti moan bracket and why is it needed? It looks to me that you could just bolt the caliper to the caliper bracket. The anti moan looks like it serves no purpose except for extra bracing. Am I wrong??

The anti-moan brackets are "not required", but they are recommended. They simply add extra bracing to keep the caliper more rigid. On some cars without the anti-moans there will be a load "moan" sound when moving slowly, particularly in reverse and turning into driveways. Other guys I know have run without them for years without a sound.

--Vince
    www.1985mustanggt.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12