Close

Threaded View

Default SN95 Cobra rear brakes and Fox length axles

This is my first attempt at a detailed write-up. I just did this on my car so it is fresh in my memory and I think it could help a few other people. So here goes...

SN95 Cobra Rear Brakes with Fox Length Axles

Parts Needed:
    1. Fox length axles with SN95 hubs.
    2. Ford Motorsport FMS-2300-M Cobra rear brake kit (axle brackets, rotors, anti-moan brackets, dust shields).
    3. SN95 loaded Cobra rear calipers (calipers, pads, caliper saddle brackets).
    4. 4-16 Grade 8 Washers with 1/2" ID.

Description:
    Normally the SN95 Cobra rear brake axle mounting brackets are mounted outside of the axle flange. This requires 3/4" longer (per side) axles and makes 17"x8" wheels the largest practical size in an OEM wheel on a Fox.

North Race Cars makes axle mounting brackets that mount on the outside of the axle flange (like stock) but move the caliper mounting position 3/4" inboard. This allows the use of Fox length axles. Fox length axles allow for OEM 17"x9" wheels to fit. The problem is that the NRC brackets are about $150.

The low cost solution is to modify the stock SN95 Cobra axle mounting brackets.

Instructions:
    1. The stock SN95 Cobra axle brackets will need to have a section removed. This will allow the brackets to mount on the INBOARD side of the axle flange. Doing this will require the LH bracket to be mounted on the RH side and vice versa.

2. As you look at the outboard side of the stock LH bracket you want to remove the section of bracket that goes towards the lower forward mounting hole (see pictures). This bracket should now fit on the inboard side of the RH axle flange. Note that the stock outboard side will now face inboard. You may need to slightly clearance the edges of the axle tube hole depending on the size of the welds on your rear end.

3. Slide the rotor on the axle and hand tighten one lug nut to hold it in place.

4. The stock anti-moan bracket will now hit the lower control arm mount because it is pushed 3/4" inboard. To fix this you must grind off a small bead of weld that attaches the U-bolt to the bracket. After the U-bolt is removed, mark 3/4" along the inboard edge of the bracket. Cut the bracket along your mark. Clamp the U-bolt back onto the bracket and weld it in place. Loosely attach the Anti-Moan Bracket U-bolt to the rear axle tube.

5. Place the caliper mounting bracket (saddle bracket) over the rotor and against the axle mounting bracket and loosely install the mounting bolts. Inspect the position of the saddle bracket relative to the rotor. The bracket will probably be slightly biased towards the inboard side of the rotor. Add washers (shims) as needed to center the saddle bracket over the rotor. My set-up required one washer. I used grade 8 hardened washers with an ID of 1/2". Verify that the saddle bracket mounting bolts are long enough for proper thread engagement and replace them with longer bolts if needed.

6. Remove the saddle bracket and rotor. Tighten all of the fasteners to their proper torque. The FMS M-2300-M instructions have a detailed list of the OEM torque specs if you do not already have them. Install the dust shield if desired. If you want to mount the dust shield with the curved edge facing outboard (like OEM) then you will have to trim or flatten two small tabs.

7. Slide on the rotor and hand tighten one lug nut. Install the saddle bracket and torque to spec. Install the pads. Install the caliper. Remember that the caliper piston MUST be rotated to retract (if needed). Verify all torques.

8. Install the wheel and toque the lug nuts.

9. Repeat for the other side.

10. Pump the brake pedal from inside the car to make sure that the brakes function properly.

11. Enjoy your SN95 Cobra rear brakes and Fox length axles.

DISCLAIMER:
    DO THIS MODIFICATION AT YOUR OWN RISK! I BELEIVE THIS MODIFICATION TO BE PERFECTLY SAFE AND I HAVE NO CONCERNS ABOUT DOING THIS TO MY CAR; HOWEVER, YOU MUST KNOW YOUR PERSONAL SKILL LIMITATIONS. IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF HOW TO PERFORM THESE TASKS DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS MODIFICATION. THE AUTHOR IS NOT RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR PROBLEMS RESULTING FROM THIS MODIFICATION.

Torque Specs from FMS M-2300-M instructions:
    FASTENER TORQUE
    DIFFERENTIAL PINION SHAFT BOLT 15-30 FT./LBS.
    BANJO BOLTS 30-40 FT./LBS.
    WHEEL NUTS 85-105 FT./LBS.
    DUST SHIELD ATTACHING BOLTS 6-9 FT./LBS.
    AXLE BRACKET/BACKING PLATE BOLTS 45-50 FT./LBS.
    AXLE HOUSING COVER BOLTS 25-35 FT./LBS.
    AXLE FILL PLUG 15-30 FT./LBS.
    REAR MOAN BRACE U-BOLT NUTS 40-45 FT./LBS.
    ANTI LOCK SPEED SENSOR 40-60 in./lbs.
    CALIPER MOUNTING BOLTS 70-95 FT./LBS.

Pictures:

--Vince
    Last edited by 85GTVince; 02-17-2009 at 02:19 AM.
    + Jalapeņo Red 1985 Mustang GT, 347 in^3, Canfield heads, 650DP, X-Celerator, & 1-5/8" LT's
    + Tremec 3550, D&D shifter, 3.73:1 gears, & TrueTrac differential
    + EVM watts & 3-link, Homemade LCA's, & Koni SA's
    + '00 Cobra R Brembos in front and SN95 Cobra rear brakes, R58 rims, & 275/40R17 Falkens
    www.1985mustanggt.com