Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side Molding

Default Side Molding

My 84 coupe needs molding that runs down the middle of the front fender to the rear of the car. 50resto.com has 87 and up. Does anyone know where I might find some? My car has it missing from the rear part of the front fender across the door and the front section of the rear panel. My molding I have is black and someone painted a black stripe down the door where the molding is missing. The car is the same on both sides. When I changed my front fender I used the wifes hair dryer and removed the front section. What glue can I use to stick it to the new fender? Thanks in advance!
    Barryb

Junkyards for the missing pieces.

Use 3M double sided body tape...not glue.

Thanks for the 3m tape. Junkyards isn't what I wanted to hear. Another question though. The windshield trim around the bottom corner is loose after the accident. I don't see anything broke. How is this held in place?
    Barryb

I have a full set off my '85 Capri, I'm pretty sure they're '85-'86 only though.

Theres always a bunch on ebay,you can pick them up pretty cheap. The door moldings are the expensive ones.

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Unfortunately, you cannot buy new molding unless they're NOS parts. You can purchase used molding by posting in this site's "Wanted" section or by searching Craigslist or E-Bay. With over a million of these cars produced, there should be molding available. Or, you can purchase reconditioned molding from Matt at FMR (Fox Mustang Restoration).

If you choose to purchase and restore your molding by yourself, check out this thread that I put together a few years ago.

http://www.foureyedpride.com/joom/in...-art&Itemid=42
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

i think i have seen that molding, somewhere.........
    79 Capri RS
    341 rwhp,348 rwtq 11.20@127

1939 Pontiac Deluxe 6. 73,xxx original miles. Barn find. Currently the secomd owner.

2013 Focus ST
    2012 Taurus SEL
    1997 F350

LOL! How did that piece work out Chris? If there's any problems, I'll tear the two pieces off of my beater '81 for you.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

it going to be sweet, i should have my door back tommorrow, and i will be putting the left side back on the car this weekend. thanks again.
    79 Capri RS

1939 Pontiac Deluxe 6. 73,xxx original miles. Barn find. Currently the secomd owner.

2013 Focus ST
    2012 Taurus SEL
    1997 F350

No problem. Did you have to strip the paint off of the driver's door one so that it would match the other ones?
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

i havnt matched it up yet, but it looks real close. i may just scuff it down with a scotchbrite pad and dust over it with my bumper and trim paint. i got the silver striping to do to it, and should be mint.
    79 Capri RS

2013 Focus ST
    2012 Taurus SEL
    1997 F350

Thanks guys! Once again you guys have bailed me out. FMR has them on the way and I have read the thread how to restore them. The junk yards in my area crush anything over 10 yrs old. I called 4 and none had a 79 to 84 at all.
    Barryb

FEP Member

Here were some in the for sale section.
    Last edited by jovibuilt; 02-14-2009 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox84 View Post
    Thanks for the 3m tape. Junkyards isn't what I wanted to hear. Another question though. The windshield trim around the bottom corner is loose after the accident. I don't see anything broke. How is this held in place?
    Barryb
    Hatch window and windshield trim is held on by clips. They are delicate, a few years of tree debri has lifted mine up on the hatch, aswell as got under the spoiler. Hopefully theres no rust under there.

If you want to remove the metal strips from the body side moldings without using a torch I have another method to removing them that works really well and it leaves a nice smooth surface for the 3m tape to stick to.

First, roll the molding into a circle with the metal strip facing in. Make sure you curl in tight enough so that it is roughly 12" in diameter.
    Second, wrap tape around the molding so it will stay curled.
    Third, place the molding in the freezer over night.
    Fourth, remove from freezer, remove tape, and use a single edge razor to start peeling up the metal strip just enough to grab the metal strip with needle nose pliers.
    Fifth, twist the needle nose pliers until the strip rolls completely off.

Lay the molding on a flat surface preferrably in the sun so it will soften and return to its original shape.

An old body man taught me this trick and I used this method on all of my moldings. I have some old moldings that I can do the above technique on and I'll take some pics for show and tell.
    - 1986 GT coupe - Bone Stock -
    - 2002 - Lincoln Blackwood 4v 5.4L -

My moldings for an 84 did shrink after i took the metal backing off. It may be due to having them lay around for a month with the backing off before I got ready to install them. Anyway, I used a woodworking bench with end vice and a heat gun to get the 1.5" of length back for the door moldings. I took a few pictures of the process. The door skin is now the "metal backing" for the molding. I used the heat gun to help in the stretching process and to relieve the stress when stretched out and held on the bench.

why is the side of your car "molding" ? wash the mold off, oh you meant moulding ah i get it now JK LOL

added some tags for searching
    No Longer a 4I Owner
    But Have way too much 4I stuff Collecting Dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ranchero View Post
    My moldings for an 84 did shrink after i took the metal backing off. It may be due to having them lay around for a month with the backing off before I got ready to install them. Anyway, I used a woodworking bench with end vice and a heat gun to get the 1.5" of length back for the door moldings. I took a few pictures of the process. The door skin is now the "metal backing" for the molding. I used the heat gun to help in the stretching process and to relieve the stress when stretched out and held on the bench.
    This is AWESOME information! How long does it take? Is there a simple process to follow?
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

You can also put them in a bath tub in warm water. They will go back in shape.
    The original "4-eye" is a 1969 Mach-1
    Raleigh, NC

For my '85, I just put the moulding into a big black trash bag and threw it out into the driveway for an hour or so in the hot Florida sun. Then I peeled up the end of the metal backing and grabbed it with vise grips and just peeled it off while the moulding was still hot. If it cools off and starts getting difficult, just throw it back in the black bag and heat it up again. After the metal is off, just lay it on a flat surface in a cool room and let it cool back down. Now you're ready for the 3M tape. They say som years will shrink when you peel the metal off but I didn't have any trouble with mine. YMMV

85-86 door mouldings will shrink 1-2" on you.

The other years seem to handle it much better.

-Mike

It's a good thing I didn't have to do the doors then. They were in good shape. The short pieces, OTOH, had had a hard life but handled the process quite well. Plus, I'm probably a little luckier than a lot of people on here in that things don't have to be perfect for me to be happy. I went through that when it took me 26 years to redo a 1950 MGTD. The car turned out great but the fun factor really wasn't there like it is on the cars I play around with today. Now I can be happy with a 50/50 car. One that looks good from 50 feet away going 50 miles per hour. But do I want it to runn and drive well.

Quote Originally Posted by theemustangman View Post
    why is the side of your car "molding" ? wash the mold off, oh you meant moulding ah i get it now JK LOL

added some tags for searching
    Nice avatar.
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Quote Originally Posted by DrDirt View Post
    It's a good thing I didn't have to do the doors then. They were in good shape. The short pieces, OTOH, had had a hard life but handled the process quite well. Plus, I'm probably a little luckier than a lot of people on here in that things don't have to be perfect for me to be happy. I went through that when it took me 26 years to redo a 1950 MGTD. The car turned out great but the fun factor really wasn't there like it is on the cars I play around with today. Now I can be happy with a 50/50 car. One that looks good from 50 feet away going 50 miles per hour. But do I want it to runn and drive well.
    You're right, the short mouldings won't shrink noticeably at all. The door ones are the problem.

Does that hold true for just the 85-86 or are others in the 79-93 range likely to shrink also? I also have a '91 notch that could use a little work on the door moulding but I've been putting it off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast