Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: evap components

Default evap components

can somebody tell me what i need? my car has nothing, except the line that is supposed to connect to the charcoal canister, which is stinking up my garage. i'm going to get the stuff, but if someone has pictures or can just tell me what i need it would really help me out.

also, i really don't know exactly how it hooks up either. any info greatly appreciated!

thanks,
    cale

So you have no canister or what do you need. The line that goes to the canister comes from the fuel tank. I will take pics of mine in a minute.
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108
    stock short block, Victor EFI, 75mm TB, 3.08's, Borla cat-back, slot style MAF conversion, Gt-40p heads, TFS1 cam, 80lb injectors, 69mm turbo, Moates Quaterhorse, E85. 501/584 @ the rear wheels

It will be a bit, camera was left on for who knows how long. Need to charge it. Sorry.
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108
    stock short block, Victor EFI, 75mm TB, 3.08's, Borla cat-back, slot style MAF conversion, Gt-40p heads, TFS1 cam, 80lb injectors, 69mm turbo, Moates Quaterhorse, E85. 501/584 @ the rear wheels

What you need depends on what you have. F'rinstance, the 5.0-4V cars have
    two canisters. So it'll depend on what engine, and if you still have the stock
    carb with the bowl vent tubes (and if you want to hook them up).

If all you're looking to do is hook up the line from the tank, that would connect
    to the large nipple on the canister, and then you'd connect a purge valve with
    the bottom nipple to the small nipple on the canister, the middle nipple to manifold
    vacuum, and the top nipple that actuates the purge valve, to EGR vacuum.

The factory installed a .015" orifice in the hose between the tank line and the
    canister tee, but I don't think you'd have to worry about that unless you were
    wanting to hook up the complete evap system.
    Last edited by JACook; 04-12-2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Correction
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

so here are some pics from when i did the heads .... but with my super paint skills i showed how my canister "was" hooked up.
    you might have to zoom in to read the text but you can see the small line coming from the fuel tank thru the firewall to the canister and the vacuum line from the canister and should be going to the manifold. (mine however was already disconnected) there is a tree on the back of my intake with one port closed off which i assume is where this canister line was plugged at somepoint.

might not help, but i tried!!!
    Last edited by slowsnake; 04-14-2009 at 12:07 AM.

There's a rats nest of solenoids, wires, and vacuum switches under the alternator in my 85. My car has a four barrel, so there are two cannisters - one for each vent off the carb. I just traced all this stuff out last weekend checking for vacuum leaks. I was thinking that there HAS to be a better way to organize the hoses in that area. What a mess.

I can't get any decent pictures on the running 85. I'll see if I can get some better photos on the parts car tomorrow.
    67 Cougar
    85 Jalepeno Red GT
    85 Bright Red RS
    88 Smoke Grey GT Hatch
    88 Bright Regata Blue GT Hatch
    89 Bright Regata Blue GT Vert

I know what you mean. I spent the better part of a day awhile back redoing the
    evap plumbing so it's not such a nightmare anymore. In the process, I became
    very familiar with how it all hooks up...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

ok, more about my car.

i'm running a 1406 edelbrock carb, and a professional products typhoon intake. no smog anything. i just want this thing to stop stinking up my garage all the time when it's just sitting there.

there's a 83 crimson cat all smacked up parting out on here. the guy said he'd pull the stuff off if i told him what i need, frankly, i don't really know past the charcoal cannister.

i will now read more deeply into the above posts, thanks! any pictures, i'll really appreciate.

cale

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    What you need depends on what you have. F'rinstance, the 5.0-4V cars have
    two canisters. So it'll depend on what engine, and if you still have the stock
    carb with the bowl vent tubes (and if you want to hook them up).

If all you're looking to do is hook up the line from the tank, that would connect
    to the large nipple on the canister, and then you'd connect a purge valve with
    the bottom nipple to the small nipple on the canister, the middle nipple to manifold

The factory installed a .020" orifice in the hose between the tank line and the
    canister tee, but I don't think you'd have to worry about that unless you were
    wanting to hook up the complete evap system.
    JACooK: can i even hook this up on my car? i am ridiculously confused in this area:

and then you'd connect a purge valve with
    that's where you lost me entirely, lol.

i have no egr, no bowl vent tubes to hook to

here is a picture i found. i dunno if it is the same but it might help to make references to for all the connections. if it isn't the same disregard it.

thanks,
    cale
    Last edited by cb84capri; 02-12-2009 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
    so here are some pics from when i did the heads .... but with my super paint skills i showed how my canister "was" hooked up.
    you might have to zoom in to read the text but you can see the small line coming from the fuel tank thru the firewall to the canister and the vacuum line from the canister and should be going to the manifold. (mine however was already disconnected) there is a tree on the back of my intake with one port closed off which i assume is where this canister line was plugged at somepoint.

might not help, but i tried!!!
    Great pics and paint but from what you are saying the canister will get engine/manifold vacuum all the time. That cant be right. ?

T

Quote Originally Posted by cb84capri View Post
    JACooK: can i even hook this up on my car? i am ridiculously confused in this area:

that's where you lost me entirely, lol.

i have no egr, no bowl vent tubes to hook to

here is a picture i found. i dunno if it is the same but it might help to make references to for all the connections. if it isn't the same disregard it.

thanks,
    cale
    The two 'mushroom' caps on the top of the canister are air inlets only. The two nipples on the very end of the top of the canister are the vapor/vacuum inlet outlet ports.

T

This is just some of the tubing, solenoids, and valves that you would need to hook up a stock carb to the vapor cannisters. This is all tucked up under the alternator (there are some broken tees in this photo). You can see the tubes at the bottom of the photo that connect into the cannister ports referenced by TWR.

Two of these bigger rubber tubes come from vents in the Holley 4180. Not sure from what you are describing that you could use this setup. I'm not sure anyone could build this from paper - would almost need to have another year vehicle with a stock configuration to use as a guide. At least that's what I would need....

67 Cougar
    85 Jalepeno Red GT
    85 Bright Red RS
    88 Smoke Grey GT Hatch

There are different styles of canister depending on the year. The one that was
    pictured has the two hose nipples molded into the canister body. The '85 canister
    does not have these nipples, but has a plastic adapter that goes into one of the
    holes occupied by a mushroom cap on the later canister. You can see two of those
    fittings dangling in GTJerry's photo.

Regarding the purge valve, here's a picture
    Last edited by JACook; 08-26-2009 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Fixed linkage...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

excellent info, guys. i think i can get this to work. that purge solenoid has no electrical connections whatsoever like i was imagining it to. so i'm assuming it exposes the gas vapors to manifold vacuum when it reaches a certain pressure?

i lucked out getting this stuff for a great price. i went on ebaymotors this morning and found a whole lot of the 85 mustang evap components complete with everything. i won the auction uncontested for $0.99!

it says the charcoal canister feels half full, so it sounds to be overly saturated with fuel and bad.

cale

Very cool.

This brings up a question I've been meaning to ask. My 85 parts car has that vacuum "manifold" that you show in cb84's photo. It's located under the fender liner on the passenger side (see attached photo). I don't remember seeing this on my running 85 when I had the fender liners out. Did they change the arrangement of the cannister vacuum system in 85, or do I just not remember that the manifold? I can't see any hoses running through the inner fender to this manifold on the running 85, like I find on the parts car.

ps - not tyring to high jack thread...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    67 Cougar
    85 Jalepeno Red GT
    85 Bright Red RS
    88 Smoke Grey GT Hatch

i was wondering where that went.

cale

That plumbing looks like it belongs to a CFI car.

<edit> Wrong... Read down a few posts... </edit>
    Last edited by JACook; 12-13-2015 at 04:59 PM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

ok, got my ebay stuff. it's the same stuff as gtjerry has pictured. cfi junk i take it. the charcoal cannister is missing the fitting the lines hook up to, i'm going to try and find one at a local wrecker.

what's easiest way to hook this thing up? i wish i had a carbed car to look at but i don't.

thanks,
    cale

Cale - I pulled the hoses out of my parts car yesterday. I took some photos and plan to label them to show where the various hoses, solenoids, purge valves, etc. go.

I'm out of town until Thursday. I'll post the pic then. Maybe that will help.

Jerry
    67 Cougar
    85 Jalepeno Red GT
    85 Bright Red RS
    88 Smoke Grey GT Hatch

That plumbing looks like it belongs to a CFI car.
    Looks like the stuff that came out of my 85 carbed car.

-Mike

Some of it, but not that bracket with the vacuum log and electric purge solenoid.
    Purge solenoid is only used on injected models. The carb'ed cars use EGR vacuum
    to operate the purge valves.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

Quote Originally Posted by GTJerry View Post
    This is just some of the tubing, solenoids, and valves that you would need to hook up a stock carb to the vapor cannisters. This is all tucked up under the alternator (there are some broken tees in this photo). You can see the tubes at the bottom of the photo that connect into the cannister ports referenced by TWR.

Two of these bigger rubber tubes come from vents in the Holley 4180. Not sure from what you are describing that you could use this setup. I'm not sure anyone could build this from paper - would almost need to have another year vehicle with a stock configuration to use as a guide. At least that's what I would need....

WTF..............

Thats a lot of stuff. Most of that can be deleted and / or simplified. If I were you I would try to keep it as simple as possible. Look at the diagram below and it should help you make some sense out of it.

- 1986 GT coupe - Bone Stock -
    - 2002 - Lincoln Blackwood 4v 5.4L -

That diagram makes sense if you're working on an injected car, but very
    little of it applies to the carbureted cars.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

Some of it, but not that bracket with the vacuum log and electric purge solenoid.
    Purge solenoid is only used on injected models. The carb'ed cars use EGR vacuum
    to operate the purge valves.
    You mean this? I think it went in the fender somewhere.

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/misc/WhatIsIt.jpg

That goes on a carbed car. CFI did have one in the engine bay but it is not the same.

Edit, Edit: Actually, the one he posted might be for a carbed car now that I look at it even more closely...

-Mike
    Last edited by negusm; 02-24-2009 at 01:11 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast