Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Now I want to do this to my SVO. Thanks guys!
    1984 SVO 2A - Sold
    1993 Cobra Teal
    2009 Shelby GT500 KR

that looks great! i'm just wondering, is that a soft coating or is it hard, it looks like that spray on textured paint for trunks, butit also looks like the carpet you can but from a local parts store.

Banned

was the factory piece actually flocked? my SVO bezel looksl ike that but its a hard surface

The original factory surface finish appears to be a fairly heavily textured paint, as someone said, similar to a truck bed liner. I've never seen an NOS one for colour comparison but my research has led me to believe that they are supposed to be a very similar shade of charcoal grey as the original interior plastics.

As for recovering the woodgrain finish panels, i suggest a couple of coats of interior vinyl spray like Duplicolour's HVP-111. The flocking is fairly thick, but in the right sunlight you can see the woograin behind it. Found that one out the hard way.
    Ausie, Aussie, Aussie
    Oi, Oi, Oi

84 1C SVO "Blackie the Wonderbeater" (DECEASED!!!!)
    84 9L SVO T-TOP (under restoration)
    84 1C SVO T-TOP (Deceased)
    86 2R SVO (roller, future pro-tourer)

Quote Originally Posted by chalkysexplorer View Post
    The original factory surface finish appears to be a fairly heavily textured paint, as someone said, similar to a truck bed liner. I've never seen an NOS one for colour comparison but my research has led me to believe that they are supposed to be a very similar shade of charcoal grey as the original interior plastics.

As for recovering the woodgrain finish panels, i suggest a couple of coats of interior vinyl spray like Duplicolour's HVP-111. The flocking is fairly thick, but in the right sunlight you can see the woograin behind it. Found that one out the hard way.
    The original finish is unlike any other finish or color in the interior. Its not fuzzy but soft textured charcoal gray with a hint of brown to it. This is not meant to be 100% concourse, but only a suitable substitute as correctly reproducing the true original finish has not yet been deduced.

I sanded off the woodgrain texture with 180 grit on a d/a sander. Its all black underneath. Took like five minutes to do both panels, and left a perfect finish serving as the base for the flocking adhesive.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Zap,
    i took my colour referance from some very nice original examples, a 26 mile car, and the original dealer brochures from the period. I think the brown shade is a result of sun exposure and age. The original panels I've seen tend to have a more "grey with a touch of green" finish to them.

As for finishing, i do all mine by hand so i just hand rub the woodgrain with some 320 and paint over that, apply coloured glue and flock.

Like you say, it's not 100% concours but it's the closest yet available, I've even tried tinting and painting the flock fibers and it's not any better than just using the straight flock fibers. I've tried to source a smaller flock fiber than Don Jer sells without success as their fibers appear a little long. I've done the ones in my cars and a few for people over on SVOCA and everyone has seemed to like them.
    Ausie, Aussie, Aussie
    Oi, Oi, Oi

84 1C SVO "Blackie the Wonderbeater" (DECEASED!!!!)
    84 9L SVO T-TOP (under restoration)
    84 1C SVO T-TOP (Deceased)
    86 2R SVO (roller, future pro-tourer)

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by n20capri View Post
    I also did a little write-up on the process too...
    http://www.mikemartinelli.com/tech.php
    Nice work and nice write up on the Bezels and Dashpad!

Thanks!
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Here are two close up original examples. The first is from the 86 Comp Prep with 10,3xx miles. The speedo in the second is the Barrett-Jackson 85.5 and shows the correct mileage. Both are garaged and pampered.

86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but do you remove the material that is on the dash face, or do you just say "flock it" and go right over?

D
    ----------------------------------
    '85.5 SVO 1B
    '89 GT Convertible / 5 Speed (not a 4-eye, but I won't tell if you won't)
    '85 GT T-Top 5.0 / 5 Speed (sold)

I sanded the old stuff off with some 220 grit paper.

Quote Originally Posted by dznj View Post
    Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but do you remove the material that is on the dash face, or do you just say "flock it" and go right over?

D
    It looked like mine had been painted over so it was a bit of a pita to get off...but yeah I sanded mine too...

man, you did excellent work but idk if i could handle that, it looks cheesy IMO, like having gorilla fur all over inside your sweet trans am.
    No Longer a 4I Owner
    But Have way too much 4I stuff Collecting Dust.

Thanks. Flocking kit on order. Will pick up the sandpaper today/tomorrow. Sounds like a father/daughter craft project!

D
    '85.5 SVO 1B

FEP Power Member

Was there any real purpose for this finish from the factory or were they just trying to do some thing different with the SVO?
    85 GT vert

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    Was there any real purpose for this finish from the factory or were they just trying to do some thing different with the SVO?
    I believe they were trying to pull off a more European, high class, less plasticy feel.

Default My attempt at flocking my dash panels.

I attempted this project this weekend. I ordered the kit with gray and dark gray paint, "glue." As you can see in the first pic, it came out way to light grey for my liking. I took my passenger piece into Michaels and bought a bottle of charcoal paint "glue" for $2.49, along with a 1.5" foam brush. I then mixed the dark gray flocking with some black in a gallon ziplock bag until I got a shade that was closer to the original. You can mix the flock like paint!

I'm still going to hunt down a pair of NOS panels or some really, really nice used ones. My interior is near perfect with the exception of some scratches on the panels and I agree with the one post that the browning of the panels is due to UV and age. The result is far from perfect, but it came out very close to my passenger panel before I flocked it, but without the brown shade.

Another trick I learned with my first attempt was to brush the panel after a day of curing with a large paint brush to "thin" the finish down. Both of these pics were taken after the flock was applied and looks "thick," but will look more like stock after the brushing. Just be careful not to remove too much.

Since the acrylic paint "glue" is water based, a good scrubbing with a green Scotch Brite and Dawn will take it off so you can start over if you don't like the outcome.

If you're going to do this, I'd recommend using a charcoal color base acrylic paint, and mix some black flock into the dark gray flock to get it to match the original shade better. Maybe even a pinch of green???

I'd have never attempted this if not for the great people and great info in this online community of crazy. Thank you FEP!!!

Name:  HHLD5854[1].jpg
Views: 202
Size:  204.2 KBName:  IMG_1011[1].jpg
Views: 203
Size:  184.7 KB
    Dan Aiken

'85.5 Jalapena Red SVO, cloth, roof, 52k miles bought from original owner.
    '79 Pace Car #7 - Pre-production prototype and Indy Airport Display Car, sold and awaiting body off resto
    '79 Indy Pace Truck #3607
    '79 Indy 500 go-kart
    '94 F250 Indy 500 Safety Truck #2 (used at the race) - will be for sale soon
    '15 Mustang Ecoboost, (my DD)
    '03 Crown Victoria LX Sport (a Marauder without the motor)

Looks very good!

D
    '85.5 SVO 1B

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12