Close

Thread: VSS wiring

Default VSS wiring

Has anyone figured out the color wires in an 86 to hook up this sensor for the mass air conversion? I have everything to do it but have no idea which wires I need to splice into behind the kickpanel. My Vss is out of an 89.
    Last edited by 86capriASC; 02-06-2009 at 07:54 PM.
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108
    stock short block, Victor EFI, 75mm TB, 3.08's, Borla cat-back, slot style MAF conversion, Gt-40p heads, TFS1 cam, 80lb injectors, 69mm turbo, Moates Quaterhorse, E85. 501/584 @ the rear wheels

On my 86 GT the wires were not behind the kick panel, they were behind the console next to the radio on the driver side. The colors were the same as listed in all of the MAF conversion articles.

Can you point me in the right direction?
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108
    stock short block, Victor EFI, 75mm TB, 3.08's, Borla cat-back, slot style MAF conversion, Gt-40p heads, TFS1 cam, 80lb injectors, 69mm turbo, Moates Quaterhorse, E85. 501/584 @ the rear wheels

Quote Originally Posted by 86capriASC View Post
    Can you point me in the right direction?
    According to this diagram:

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...ng_Diagram.gif

VSS+ = DGRN/WHT EEC pin 3
    VSS- = ORG/YEL EEC pin 6

EDIT:
    Just re-read your post and see that you have an 86. On an 86-88 original non-MA/non-cruise control car there are no VSS wires under the dash/kick panel to splice into. You will have to run two new wires from the VSS sensor to the EEC processor (you will need two EEC connector female pins).

Also, read step 5 here:
    http://www.corral.net/tech/powerplant/maf_tech_2.html

T
    Last edited by TWR2003; 02-07-2009 at 11:55 AM.

Thanks, doesn't really sound like I need to have it hooked up though.
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108

Quote Originally Posted by 86capriASC View Post
    Thanks, doesn't really sound like I need to have it hooked up though.
    No its not absolutely necessary but you may find that you have better idle down when coming to a stop if you install it. You could try it without it and see.

T

I have been running without it for 2 years now, but some say to hook it up.

I will be swapping my original trans for one from an 89 soon, so I thought since I was going to be messing around with it I would hook it up.
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108

I know my car would sometimes die and the idle would surge until I hooked mine up. The colors are the same for all Foxes but on the 86 the harness moved. If you are sitting in the drivers seat you should be able to reach down at your right leg under the dash just behind the radio. The harness you are looking for should be there. Like I said just look for the dark green/white wire like most of the directions say. I fond mine by pulling back the carpet and finding where the harness came through the floor from the transmission.

Thanks tremec77, my idle does surge a little. I will take a look when I get to the trans swap.
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108