Close

Default Hood emblem restoration?

Is there any way I could restore the hood emblem? The red on mine is pretty faded is there a way I could remove the paint and paint it again?

i havent ever seen any body do it personaly but i did see some 1's after they did it and he said he jus took a lil rag with a lil bit of paint thiner and cleaned it up wit that and then just painted it but idk if thats the rite way to do it or wat else he had to do to it but its worth a try i guess

Awesome I'll be sure to keep you guys posted then, Custom painted emblems would be sweet if I could pull it off, I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow its suppose to be warm.

i had plans of doing that too

Dont they sell them new for 40.00

I've seen them sold new for 40.00-50.00 depending on where you go. I would restore the emblem on mine, but the top plastic is faded and cloudy from sun damage. I'm interested to see if this restoration technique works. Keep us posted!
    Dan
    1982 Mustang GL Hatchback

I think they come apart fully to restore it. Clean the lesne up like polycarbonate headlights and then repaint the inside. I was gonna make mine look like the black GT one. They come apart easy.

'85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

FEP Power Member

I tried to pull one apart and paint it black for my 82 GT... It didn't turn out very good. It's almost impossible to scrape all the red, white and blue paint off...

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer82gt View Post
    I tried to pull one apart and paint it black for my 82 GT... It didn't turn out very good. It's almost impossible to scrape all the red, white and blue paint off...
    Going by the fact that I've never seen the inside of one, have you tried to soak it in thinner?
    MY GARAGE | SUPPORT THE 2.3
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top
    1993 Reef Blue LX 2.3 5spd

FEP Power Member

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by 1982 niGhTmare View Post
    Going by the fact that I've never seen the inside of one, have you tried to soak it in thinner?

Oh yeah...tried thinner, varsol, wire brush, chisel...etc...It turned out to be a PITA.

I'll post pics later...

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer82gt View Post
    Oh yeah...tried thinner, varsol, wire brush, chisel...etc...It turned out to be a PITA.

I'll post pics later...
    dang, I got my hopes up that I could take the one off the hood that came with my 82 and either restore it or make it black like the GT's.
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

Luckilly mine is about fadded all away. Oh and posting that shiny new looking one doesnt really help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody View Post
    Oh and posting that shiny new looking one doesnt really help.

'85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Thats only coz he photoshopped the pic. It really doesn't look that great in person

------ jk!!!! It really is shiny
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

I saw one in really bad shape for sale at the 45th show...............the guy wanted $50 for it.....I said to him...over in that other tent is a repo for $30....he said go buy it then, this one is $50...........

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Old thread I know but I'm giving it a try. I've got three of those to do, and I won't spend $120 on emblems.
    I've pulled one and managed to remove the clear piece, it's just glued with some clear silicone. Then I poured a bit of laquer thinner and it melted the old paint just fine, even though the blue seems a bit more resistant.
    I'm left with a clear piece and a chrome piece. From what I can see, the colors are made of a colored clear coat with a silver paint on the back, but the white is just white. Then the horse is painted in chrome and the suround and bars are painted black.

The clear piece still needs a bit more cleaning, gotta buy the coloured clear coats unless markers work but I doubt that :

FEP Power Member

Looks like a fun project..post up the end result when you're done.
    Original Member of 'The Anti-Cowl Hood Club' and 'The Ten-Hole Mafia'.

I ended up using Promarkers for the red and blue, and Graph'It for the black. I used Revell enamel paint for the white and silver. If think it turned out pretty good ! Not show car good but good enough for a driver. The horse would look better in actual chrome paint like Alclad but I don't have that. The plastic has some tiny cracks and the chrome base is a bit dull at the bottom so it's not mint to begin with, it would be useless to put too much effort in it.

Here it is next to the emblem on the Vaquero hatchback I have. The one I restored wasn't as bad as this one though.

The process is simple :
    - paint the black first, making sure you apply it only on the flat surface (the wedge tip of a marker is perfect for that)
    - the apply the colors, ensure you have a good coverage. Go in every corner. Paint works better for that, but is messier. A quality marker works great. Dont forget the small white section between the legs of the horse
    - color the silver/chrome horse
    - paint the back of the red and blue silver (a spray can would work better, as the solvents in enamel paints can melt the markers ink).
    - apply some clear silicone in the chrome base
    - put the painted piece back in, the is a indentation on the bottom so it goes only one way

Done !

What's odd is I chose the blue color based on the emblem of the Vaquero, but the blue on the emblem of my white hatchback is much lighter even though both cars were built nearly at the same time (VINs sequences are only 41 numbers apart).