Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    FEP Senior Member

Default 85 Saleen restoration in progress

thought I would share this since everyone here loves 4 eye cars! This car belongs to one of the guys in the Saleen Club and it's getting a true ground up restoration.

Enjoy!

http://scoatalk.saleenclubofamerica....hp?f=14&t=2079

In the beginning:

in progress:

Yes that's one of the factory 86 Saleen racecars in the background!
    Last edited by svo85; 02-05-2009 at 10:09 PM.
    1986 (2A) Saleen #120.

thanks for sharing

LOL... I supplied parts to Mark Allen for the restoration of this beast...
    88 LX - Wide Body
    84 GT - Wide Body
    94 Ford F-350
    63 Ford Fairlane
    03 GT

my site --> www.franknstangs.com

That is too cool, can't wait to see more progress on it. What color stripes (if any) did it have originally?

Chris
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black
    '85 Dominator GT - Black, 24k miles
    '85 Predator GT302R #150R - Light Regatta Blue
    '85 Predator GT302 Convertible #119 - White w/blue stripes For Sale
    '86 Texas DPS Mustang (Unit # unknown) - undergoing resto

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 02Z06 View Post
    What color stripes (if any) did it have originally?

Chris
    Generally the wheels match the stripe color on the early cars so this most likely had gold stripes on it (unless it was a stripe delete car).
    1986 (2A) Saleen #120.

Thanks guys...that is my car, 85-127.

Marc Allen has been doing an INCREDIBLE job on this car!

It was originally a stripe delete car (the only one shipped that way in '85), but I have decided to add GOLD stripes to the car, to match the gold wheels.

I've always loved white/gold cars - and think the car would just look "funny" without the stripes.

I need to get over here more often - "Big Wing" (Gary - RIP) turned me on to this board when I bought the car 2 years ago, and I just havn't made it over here as much as I'd like...

1985 SALEEN Hatchback
    #127 - Oxford White w/Tan interior

1999 SALEEN S281-SC Speedster
    #008 - Laser Red

Interim President Saleen Club of America

Lookin' good Tony!

Just talked to Marc a few days ago...says to send parts!

Glad you made it over, Gary turned us onto this site also. Sure do miss him!
    Take care,
    Mark

1985 Saleen #115 T-Top-SOLD
    1989 Saleen Convertible #080
    2002 Saleen S281 SC Convertible #664
    Saleen Club of America-North Central Region Director
    Saleen Club of America-General Store Manager

FEP Senior Member

GLad to see you and Tony over here!

Mark, I hope you don't mind but I HAD to share the last pick you posted over at SCOA of your car! WOW, that is beautiful!!!

1986 (2A) Saleen #120.

Is that you Randy?

No problem, thanks for posting the photo. I pop in and out here. Need to spend more time here though. Time issue, as you can see, this post is coming from work.

Keep your eyes open. I have a boat load of photos from the '08 SCOA Nationals, and the last few years of the SAAC Indiana Spring Fling. That show alone brings out some heavy hitters. Will post some up tonight. I think this crowd will more than enjoy.

1985 #7, 4th Saleen built, first Saleen blower car, etc. The gang from Indy has all the good eye candy!
    Take care,
    Mark

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mardis View Post
    Is that you Randy?
    Yep, it's me! the screen name came about several years ago when I had an obsession with SVO's and has never been changed. I still love the SVO's but I am forever cursed with 2.3T gremlins which has essentially forced me to wash my hands of them! LOL

Remind me at Nationals and I will tell you the horror stories over a beer!
    1986 (2A) Saleen #120.

OMG i want one so bad. The white ones are my weakness! I want to see more of this one....

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3183/...27c07f69_m.jpg
    1985 Mustang GT:
    347 stroker
    Holley 750 double pumper
    xe274hr comp cam
    Victor jr. intake
    RPM aluminum heads
    roller rockers
    equal length shorty headers
    electric fan
    afco aluminum radiator
    american thunder series flowmasters
    pace setter off road h-pipe
    chrome OEM cobra rims

Quote Originally Posted by svo85 View Post
    Yep, it's me! the screen name came about several years ago when I had an obsession with SVO's and has never been changed. I still love the SVO's but I am forever cursed with 2.3T gremlins which has essentially forced me to wash my hands of them! LOL

Remind me at Nationals and I will tell you the horror stories over a beer!
    Looking forward to meeting you Randy, and nothing like listening to owner's stories. I will gladly take you up on your offer, remember though, we are from Wisconsin, so it may take more than just one! None of that Coors Light either.

Here is a quick one for you...I have relatives that live in the Denver area, and when we were kids out visiting, my father decided to boot leg 16 cases of Coors back to Wisconsin. Back then, Coors sales ended at the Mississippi River and none could be had East of it. We'll sure enough, 'ol Dad gets pulled over by a Nebraska State Trooper who was wondering why the Oldmobile was riding so low in the back. Made my Dad open the trunk and found the booty. Long story short, only 14 cases of the Coors made it back to Wisconsin.
    Last edited by mardis; 02-15-2009 at 11:44 AM.
    Take care,
    Mark

Hey mardis, nice too see another 4-eye member from WI. Have you ever been up to the Gordie Boucher Ford show? Last year was my first time there.
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108
    stock short block, Victor EFI, 75mm TB, 3.08's, Borla cat-back, slot style MAF conversion, Gt-40p heads, TFS1 cam, 80lb injectors, 69mm turbo, Moates Quaterhorse, E85. 501/584 @ the rear wheels

FEP Senior Member

.... so it may take more than just one! None of that Coors Light either.
    Even us Coloradans don't drink that crap! :barf:

We've got some good stuff here so I think you'll be pleased!

....only 14 cases of the Coors made it back to Wisconsin.
    Why do I have visions involving a black Trans Am? (queue Jerry Reed...
    east bound and down, loaded up and truckin'...
    1986 (2A) Saleen #120.

Mark - I need to borrow your skills in the park this year at the fling.....I need your eagle eye for a GOOD photoshoot of my '82 GT
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by 86capriASC View Post
    Hey mardis, nice too see another 4-eye member from WI. Have you ever been up to the Gordie Boucher Ford show? Last year was my first time there.
    Nice to see a fellow Wisconsinite here also! Yes, was at the Gordie show in '07, but failed to make it last year. We will definitely have to get together this summer. You are just a hop, skip, and jump away. Awesome Capri! Need to get some photos of that Hot Rod. Send us a PM, when your ready.

Jason, anything you need my brother. You have the eye also my friend. Not sure why you'd need my help! More than happy to help though.

Glad I stopped in here again, nice to see the new sub-forums for us oddballs.
    Take care,
    Mark

FEP Senior Member

The owner just posted up some new pics. WOW is all I can say! Looking awesome!
    1986 (2A) Saleen #120.

GLad to see you and Tony over here!

Mark, I hope you don't mind but I HAD to share the last pick you posted over at SCOA of your car! WOW, that is beautiful!!!

Man I like that car. That car is green for the on lookers who don't know. One rare beast. (On second look... I don't think it is the green 85 T top. It doesn't look like it has the pinstripe) It's hard to tell with the reflections. It might be the black supercharged one. I know someone will chime in and correct me.

For you SCOA guys, I post under Goodson over there. Surely there's an 85 out there for me. I'd love to have another one again but, this time it needs to be a Saleen. I would like a T top car but we'll see what they're going for when I'm ready to buy.
    Last edited by silver85; 02-22-2009 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silver85 View Post
    Man I like that car. That car is green for the on lookers who don't know. One rare beast. (On second look... I don't think it is the green 85 T top. It doesn't look like it has the pinstripe) It's hard to tell with the reflections. It might be the black supercharged one. I know someone will chime in and correct me.

For you SCOA guys, I post under Goodson over there. Surely there's an 85 out there for me. I'd love to have another one again but, this time it needs to be a Saleen. I would like a T top car but we'll see what they're going for when I'm ready to buy.
    im pretty sure thats marks(mardis) black t-top. there is an '85 saleen out there for you....carl's got it and he's waiting for you to come pick it up.
    if you cant fix it with a hammer.......you've got an electrical problem

Yep - that is Mark Sweets car, black t-topper. There were no supercharged cars in 1986, and they only did one in 1985.

Supercharging wasn't introduced until 1994 on some of the S-351's
    Supercharging for S-281's was introduced I believe in 1999
    There were some superchargers added as options on the SA-10's and maybe some of the SSC's?
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

The owner just posted up some new pics. WOW is all I can say! Looking awesome!
    Eagle eyes will spy some of the 85/86 crossover going on here. Due to the "hard to find" aspect of these early parts, this car is getting a one piece urethane damn from 1986 as well as the side skirts. However the original fiberglass rear spats were still in tact so this car will retain the 1985 correct rear look with the stainless tails showing I can't tell from the pics, but I think this car is an updated 1985 wing car (non Big-Wing) but it will retain the original fiberglass wing....so I guess you could call this car a hybrid - OEM style correct up front and 1985 ORIGINAL correct out back

This car's body work should be complete in the coming weeks, at that point she'll be rolling again and then moved to my garage HOPEFULLY for a brief unveiling before we figure out where she'll be parked to wait for the engine, wiring and interior installation.
    Last edited by sowaxeman; 02-23-2009 at 10:30 AM.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by memphis306 View Post
    im pretty sure thats marks(mardis) black t-top. there is an '85 saleen out there for you....carl's got it and he's waiting for you to come pick it up.
    Yep. We chatted on the phone for a good while. He's a cool cat. I told him after looking at the pics of his car that I wouldn't be able to make a decent offer on the car. I'll have to wait a little while. Getting the money from the bank isn't a problem for me. What I have a problem with is borrowing what I would consider to be too much.
    I need more of a "down payment" so I'll just sit and wait... and watch the prices rise. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Eagle eyes will spy some of the 85/86 crossover going on here. Due to the "hard to find" aspect of these early parts, this car is getting a one piece urethane damn from 1986 as well as the side skirts. However the original fiberglass rear spats were still in tact so this car will retain the 1985 correct rear look with the stainless tails showing I can't tell from the pics, but I think this car is an updated 1985 wing car (non Big-Wing) but it will retain the original fiberglass wing....so I guess you could call this car a hybrid - OEM style correct up front and 1985 ORIGINAL correct out back

This car's body work should be complete in the coming weeks, at that point she'll be rolling again and then moved to my garage HOPEFULLY for a brief unveiling before we figure out where she'll be parked to wait for the engine, wiring and interior installation.
    I spotted that and even chatted with Carl about those hard to find parts on the phone. I could swear I saw the 85 Saleen three piece air dam advertised in JC Whitney catalog or something just a few years ago. I don't think it was urethane but it might have been. Either way the line drawing looked identical to the three piece lower air dam. Very similar to the 79 Pace Car, 79-80 Cobra's, 82 GT, and 83-86 Capri's. But not exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by silver85 View Post
    Yep. We chatted on the phone for a good while. He's a cool cat. I told him after looking at the pics of his car that I wouldn't be able to make a decent offer on the car. I'll have to wait a little while. Getting the money from the bank isn't a problem for me. What I have a problem with is borrowing what I would consider to be too much.
    I need more of a "down payment" so I'll just sit and wait... and watch the prices rise. LOL!
    Ya'll talking about the 85-131 car? Still amazes me it was for sale locally for $3500, sold on Ebay for $5000 and now up to $6500 and nothing has been done to it.

So do any of the side kits really fit the cars? All I have seen the side skirt doesn't sit even with the side molding and leaves a crooked gap.
    '85 GT 4 time feature car
    '86 GT sold
    '88 GT pretty dang original
    '85 GT project

Quote Originally Posted by IWL BCNU View Post
    Ya'll talking about the 85-131 car?
    Nope. 85 #63

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast