Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1982 GLX

Default 1981 Mustang

The car is registered as a Mustang MLX and it is a 12*1. It is a convertible and the car has a backseat. Does anybody know any information about this car. I do have more documents on the company that made the top and how to care for it. I have the bill of sale too. I do have additional pictures of the car as well if anyone thinks different pictures would be better than the ones I posted to help give me information about this car.

Thanks for your help!

David Waltz
    Attached Images Attached Images      

I'm assuming the Iowa MVD's "MLX" designation is for Mustang LX. It is not a Mustang LX.

1. There was no LX model/trim level in '81. First model year for Mustang LX was '84.
    2. The "12" in the VIN and the "66H" on the VC Label is for a Mustang Ghia 2-door sedan.

Your car was originally manufactured as a Ghia with a 3.3L I-6 engine.

You can decode the VIN and VC Label here:

http://foureyedpride.com/fep_bild/v/...1981_decoding/
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Blog Entries

Any and all pictures would help, the more the better. I wonder if it's a Tomaso Swift.

Default More Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by evlgt85 View Post
    Any and all pictures would help, the more the better. I wonder if it's a Tomaso Swift.

I am attached more pictures to this email. You can only post 5 to eash message posted on the web.

Hope these help.

Thanks!

David Waltz
    Attached Images Attached Images      

I should have noticed this before....the car is an '82, not an '81. The 10th character in the VIN ("C") says so. If it were an '81 it would be "B".

I just now went back and looked at the VIN because the windows sticker says "GLX", which was an '82 and '83 only model. The GLX 2-door is also indicated by a "12" in 6th and 7th positions in the VIN and a "66H" body code on the VC Label.

Blog Entries

Well, there it is, it's a Compliment conversion. In fact, here's an 81 brochure for sale on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/1981-Ford-Mustan...3286.m20.l1116

If you're not intent on buying it, I'll pick it up and add it to the library here. However, since you own one of these cars, I won't try to beat you to it.

Blog Entries

In light of Mick's post, here's an 82 sheet, looks to be identical. http://cgi.ebay.com/1982-Ford-Mustan...3286.m20.l1116

Default David Waltz

well is the car worth fixing up. im not much of a ford man but i can change. my wife likes the car. she thinks it wood make a good fishing car for us. the car runs good . but i dont know. let me now David Waltz

Ummm....what?
    http://www.foureyedfoxbody.com

'83 Mustang
    '95 Crown Vic
    '05 F-150
    '00 Lincoln LS

Blog Entries

"Worth fixing" has a different meaning to each individual.

Is it worth fixing to have something unique? I'd think so.

Is it worth fixing to have at least one known example of a Compliment conversion out and about? It sure would be nice.

Is it worth fixing because you'll get huge sums of money out of it when you're done? Newp.

Right now, these cars need to be approached with enthusiasm and enjoyment in mind, not return on investment. Awareness about these cars is nearly nonexistent. They are not money cars.

Being an aftermarket conversion, it WILL be a challenge. Not only are you dealing with an era of Mustang that has very little aftermarket support in general, you are dealing with one that was extensively modified by a company that (I'd imagine) no longer exists. This isn't a car you can open a catalog to rebuild and restore. It will take patience, research, more patience, and time. Not to mention a willingness to spend a little money.

The folks on this site are great about trying to pitch in, help, locate parts, give encouragement and support. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say we'd all be thrilled to see this car get resurrected. The best chance any of these cars, conversions or not, have at getting put back on the road is by owners that realize what they're getting into so that they are less likely to get frustrated and abandon the project.

So, anyway, like I said, "worth it" means different things to different folks. What does it mean to you?

Also, be sure to hit the "Post Reply" button to reply to this thread. It's just under and to the left of the last post in a thread: You'd started a new thread and it caused a little bit of confusion. I've merged the threads together, so we're okay now.

Blog Entries

Have we lost ya, David?

Default 1982 mustang glx

I am still here but I have beenhaving trouble sending to the right place.

Default 1982 GLX

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help on the GLX. I had my wife go online and get the brochure so I'll have more paperwork with the car.

I have been looking the car over the last few days and I'm going to brig her back to life.

I have been in contact with a fellow that worked for Barrow Enterprises and they did sell out to a company in New York. He said they did do some Mustangs, but not too many. They had problems when they cut the tops off the Sedans. His boss told Ford Motor Company that they would have to beef up the frame to make the top work, so they put some reinforcement steel in.

The extra work needed for the conversion got to be so much that the cars were too expensive. He was thinking that the Mustang went to people with money or the Shriner's Club. That's about all he remembers.

Thanks again for all the replies.

David Waltz

Default mustang Glx

I was needing to know if the 82 had a hood scoop and if so did the rise go to the back or front thanks David

Hood scoop in '82 was only for the 2.3L turbocharged engine or the GT.

The Body/Buck Tag (metal tag attached to the radiator core support, behind the driver-side headlamps) will have a code on it for hood scoop or no hood scoop.

im trying again if the dont work i give up. let me know if im doing this right. thanks David Waltz

David: What are you trying to do? I'm sure we can help.

ok I didnt known if I was doing the post right. I do have one more thing to ask. does the glxs have a trunk racks on them or are they a add on

I think those came out first in 1987. Not sure though.

I got my brochure from Barrows Enterprises today and the rack looks like a factory job. The hood scoop is not factory thanks David

Luggage racks were a dealer add-on way before 87 I am pretty sure.

I know the top ones were and thought I saw ones for the verts in some of the Ford accessory books...but of course my brain may not be remembering right...

-Mike

I meant Ford/DAP didn't put them on until '87.

Blog Entries

It was 86 for the factory. 85 didn't have them.

Really big image:
    http://foureyedpride.com/fep_bild/d/...hure_10_11.jpg

They were standard on factory cars as a way of integrating the third brake light.

There you go...'86. Didn't thave the time to go looking through all of the Ford literature. Skye did it for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast