Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1982 GLX

Thanks to everone for looking. I just wanted to put it back to stock and I didnt know for sure about those parts David

I talked to a company about the top. He said about 3000.00 would do the top and the boot. is that about right .he saided the frame work is ok.

That would be lot of money for a top and boot for a "production" convertible. But your car is an aftermarket conversion so you should expect to pay more for a top and boot that will surely require some custom work.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

well im going to get the car tore down and get it repainted. and save some money to do the top later. David

Call around. We have a guy here that will redo a custom top from scratch for about $2k or less. I've seen his work, it's pretty good too.

-Mike

New User

its not a tomaso swift I have one and theres about 8 inches between the top and trunk that one butts right up to the trunk.

New User

hi could you please tell me where to get the top for these aftermarket verts I have a 1980 mustang and I need one Thanks Doc

Default 1982 mustang

I have had a hard time finding some one to do mine. I live south of Des Moines Iowa.

Default Top repair

I own a custom convertible also (a CR-X, not a Mustang) and I went to this Kansas City shop for a new top. They did great work and were reasonable.
    http://www.aceautofabric.com/

New User

Quote Originally Posted by evlgt85 View Post
    Any and all pictures would help, the more the better. I wonder if it's a Tomaso Swift.
    thanks for the info on the top I wish I lived closer.oh well I will have to find someone closer
    Last edited by doc23317; 11-28-2009 at 11:00 AM.

it was been a hard year for me between the wife needing a car and the three kids needing wheels to. the mustang is a slow progress for me. it is in primer now but im not giving up. it will get done. David

New User

Default Is 1982 Mustang after-market convertible 'worth' restoring?

To David Waltz: Don't let these negative-minded doomsayers drag you down! Sure these cars are rare and, sure, they're not in demand (yet) and, sure, they're a lot of work to research. I have a 1982 also, and it's been a chore getting any info from the people who produced them. I can tell you this, for what it's worth: If you need a convertible top, most used a Mercedez-Benz unit. This also includes the fibreglas top boot. One of the problems with these cars historically is during the 1980-82 period, Ford was running publicity spots trying to convince the public their cars were of good quality. Remember, "Quality is Job # 1"? There were some 14 aftermarket companies building Mustang convertibles out of sedans and the quality was as varied as the prices. Ford, suffering from the reputation of those with inherent quality issues, decided they missed the mark on building convertibles and contracted to oversee the job beginning with the 1983 model year. Improvements included a power top and the requisite quarter glass - two items sorely missed by the aftermarket folks. In summary, these limited production cars will go down as units of special interest as they mature with time. Like the sundial says, "Grow old along with me - the best is yet to be!"

Default I count 19 companies

Quote Originally Posted by 1982cabrio View Post
    There were some 14 aftermarket companies building Mustang convertibles out of sedans and the quality was as varied as the prices.
    So far, I have found reference to 19 different companies converting these Mustangs into convertibles (1979-1982). Sounds like you have done some research. Please PM me and we can compare notes and maybe learn a bit from each other.

well i dont know anymore about the car just the paper work i have with the car. and that about all i can find. this site helped me alot . and thanks to all for the help.

I was thanking how may of theses cars are left out there. I havent seen any yet

If you mean Barrows convertibles.....not many. Maybe 5? Your car is the only Mustang by Barrows I have seen so far. I did see a Monte Carlo convertible by Barrows a few days ago on ebay.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123

I am surprised how few '79-82 Mustang convertibles I see. I know they were one of the most common cars to be converted, but it seems thier "specialness" vanished as soon as the '83 factory Mustang convertibles became available, so they fell into old-car disrepair just like most normal cars do....eventually going to salvage.

I see a ton more Camaro/Firebird convertibles or early Celicas convertibles and I think it was because they were not immediately replaced by factory convertibles, so they were prized for much longer and lived a longer life because of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12