Close

Default 1984 cat back system options

Good evening everyone, I am new to this website. Have been out of the mustang scene for a while. I just got rid of my 87 buick grand national and back to my roots in a blue oval. I picked up a beautiful 84 gt350 convertible. 5.0/5speed car 41,000 miles and just a beautiful car. My last mustang was a 95 cobra (have always been sorry I sold that car, even my wife misses it) anyway, this 84 has a few upgrades mostly suspension and handling things, and an 8.8 rear end. engine and drivetrain are mostly stock, it does have an x pipe on it but still stock style mufflers. I had 40 series flowmasters on the 95 and loved the sound. I'm a few years older now and am leaning towards the more quiet 50 series for the current pony. My question is, I can't find a cat back system for the 84's. A few other manufacturers have systems for 79 to 93. But flowmaster has nothing for the 84. Would the flowmaster catback system #17203 for 86-93 lx's fit the 84? Not sure what the difference would be. Anyone with any experience fitting something on their 84, I would greatly appreciate any and all help available. I gained alot of information and help over the years with my grand national on a website much like this one, hope to have another great source of help and information here. Thanks for the help guys. Jeff

You will need to relocate the rear brake line (v-8 cars with duals have them in the middle of the rear, early v-8 and 6, 4cyl cars have them off to the passenger side), install the passenger side hangers, and get a double hump X-member if you don't already have one.. Then you can use a 86-93 system.
    +
    ++
    +++
    ++++

Fun is fun, and done is done!

Quote Originally Posted by gdniel View Post
    install the passenger side hangers.
    I know that all Foxes (even early and non-Mustang) have the mounting holes in the unibody for the muffler hangers (you need to get the hangers, u-nuts, and screws themselves) but Im not sure if an 84 Mustang will have the rear frame rail threaded inserts for the tailpipe hangers (you will need those hangers too). On my older Fox they were not there and I had to drill the frame rails and use self tapping screws on both sides to mount the tailpipe hangers.

Quote Originally Posted by gdniel View Post
    you can use a 86-93 system.
    You will need the entire system: headers, H-pipe, flow tubes (pipes between the H-pipe outlets and muffler inlets), mufflers, and tailpipes.

Good luck
    T

T
    Last edited by TWR2003; 01-29-2009 at 09:07 AM.

And bear in mind that, if he has a CFI car like me, he'll also have to contend with that damned external pump and filter where the passenger-side muffler needs to be.
    1986 GMC S-15 ext. cab 2.8 - DAILY BEATER.

1989 Mustang LX 5.0 notch - T-5, 4.10, alum. DS, KC clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, O/R-X and Violator cat-back, A/C delete - WEEKEND TOY.

Thanks for the help guys, I guess I should have said that the car currently has a dual setup on it now. I'm not near the car at the moment to look, but would guess the brake line issue has already been addressed. It also already has an h pipe on it so the crossmember should be taken care of also. I will have to look underneath when I get home but am pretty sure the hanger assemblies are all there as it has dual tailpipes on it now. sounds like maybe everything is already a go to hang a 86-93 system on it now. Just curious, one reply referenced having to replace headers all the way back to the tailpipes. headers will be coming, but is there a reason that I cannot start out with the catback system for now? It should bolt right up to the H pipe right? Thanks Jeff

if someone converted it to dual exhaust the headers are fine.

cale

Quote Originally Posted by darkwriter77 View Post
    And bear in mind that, if he has a CFI car like me, he'll also have to contend with that damned external pump and filter where the passenger-side muffler needs to be.
    carb (manual trans car):

Quote Originally Posted by jdsgt350 View Post
    5.0/5speed car guys

T

If you have the shorty headers and h pipe and hangers sounds like your set up and could just get a cat back system for 86-93 just make sure about the brake lines but if you got the 8.8 rearend that maybe good to go to.

FEP Power Member

Default Didn't Ford switch?

At some point late in 84, didn't Ford switch to the 85 style dual muffler set up? If this is the case, I would think all he should need would be the cat back for an 85-86 GT, 85-93 5.0 lx. Not sure though.
    85 GT vert