Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

just a thought here but...

what a bout a set of electric cut-outs ? you could have it quiet when it needs to be and then open her up when you want.
    http://www.racereadyperformance.com/...ection=Welcome
    mustang gt registry
    http://www.mustanggt.org/forums/inde...eferrerid=3400

F irst
    O n
    R ace
    D ay

I have BBK longtubes-BBK h-pipe going into Hooker aerochamers , here's a vid from by build, I couldnt show off cuz there were too many cars inthe lot lol
    my aerochamershttp://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=i8BHzrLtb-8
    '83 GT
    Hoofbeats not Heartbeats

FEP Super Member

hooker super comps .
    Good luck finding them .
    They are a straight through muffler , not like a glass pack , but like blowmaster , .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

honestly, the most wicked sound I've heard is the flowmaster cat back with an x pipe and good headers, and a lopey cam.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

i have the 14.99 summit glass packs on my capri. also their 89 dollar long tubes. no h-pipe, 2 1/2 inch straight pipes off the headers to the glass packs, and a set of 2 1/4 tailpipes. i made the exhaust myself, and spent under 200 bucks engine back. VERY loud. at idle it sounds nasty, and cruising in 4th gear is relatively quiet. i would not spend big bucks on a name brand "single chamber" muffler. but thats must my opinion. i like it loud, and i got the right sound for under 200 bucks.
    79 Capri RS
    341 rwhp,348 rwtq 11.20@127

1939 Pontiac Deluxe 6. 73,xxx original miles. Barn find. Currently the secomd owner.

2013 Focus ST
    2012 Taurus SEL
    1997 F350

Quote Originally Posted by 1984Mercury View Post
    that was a sweet little burnout! Nothing gives a dude a smile like watching those. . . we might be cavemen at heart, but man at least we're happy cavemen! LOL
    haha thanks!

cale

Quote Originally Posted by v8only View Post
    honestly, the most wicked sound I've heard is the flowmaster cat back with an x pipe and good headers, and a lopey cam.
    I completely agree with you on this one, I can't wait to get my X pipe back on.
    +
    ++
    +++
    ++++

Fun is fun, and done is done!

how much different does the x pipe sound over the h pipe??

exhaust sound is obviously personal preference. but i prefer an h-pipe over an x-pipe. when i bought my 05, first thing i put in it was an off-road x-pipe. at the time, i couldnt find an h-pipe. i did not like how the x-pipe sounded at all, sounded european. like a 6 cyl or something. i dont know what it was, i just didnt like it. ia few months later, i bought an h-pipe for it, and the car sounded more throaty, like a v8 mustang should. but like i said above, its preference, and some like it either way. currently i am running no crossover at all, and i love how it sounds.
    79 Capri RS
    341 rwhp,348 rwtq 11.20@127

1939 Pontiac Deluxe 6. 73,xxx original miles. Barn find. Currently the secomd owner.

2013 Focus ST
    2012 Taurus SEL
    1997 F350

Quote Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
    how much different does the x pipe sound over the h pipe??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvBjesPpNT0

I know its not a 5.0, but still, it shows the difference.
    1979 Mustang Ghia Coupe, 302 swapped
    1982 Mercury LN7
    1986 Ford EXP, custom turbo car
    1926 Ford Model T, Bone stock and mostly original.
    1982 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD Belt Drive

h-pipe connected to Hooker aerochambers this is mine in progress mode http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=NoAyM-XL_Ek

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=i8BHzrLtb-8
    Last edited by BossStang; 01-28-2009 at 08:40 PM.
    '83 GT
    Hoofbeats not Heartbeats

I strongly dislike the Flowmaster Delta Flow mufflers, don't get me wrong.... they still have that signature sound but they lack that aggressive throatiness of the Old School Flowmasters. These would be the 'non-Delta Flow' Flowmaster 2 chambers.
    I also like the sound of the Magnaflows, but they are more subdued and mellow.
    Borla makes THE best sounding muffler, period. It sounds sexy, the only way to describe it really.
    Mac mufflers are alright too, they are mild at cruising RPM but scream when you get on it. I have a really old set of burned out Mac's on my 351W and it screams, though I do have an aggressive cam which helps out with the noise. I will be changing to Borla mufflers eventually.
    I am not a fan of the SLP loudmouth, too noisy and they literally sound like this: Open your mouth as wide as you can and yell out "BLAAAAAAAA". I like noise, I just don't like uncontrolled noise.
    A friend has the Warlock on his worked over 600hp Cleveland and it sounds pretty mean. It sounds even meaner when he uncorks them.

So, for you, my vote would be to get the non Delta Flow Flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers, through an X pipe. The exhaust note will change pitch in the higher RPM's with the X pipe, it really sounds bad ass if your car makes power up to 6000-6500 RPM!
    SS
    1986 GT T-Top 5.0, waiting on trans and IRS swap.
    1988 GT Ragtop, 5.0, T5, 3.73, 03 Cobras with Nittos
    1989 LX Ragtop, 5.0, AOD, shift kit, Pony wheels, baby cam, X pipe and Flowbasterds.
    1984 SVO needs TLC

Ah what the hell.....
    BBK 1.75" long tubes, 2.5" off road h pipe, Mac 2.5" cat back
    http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=8aUL5o...e=channel_page
    1989 LX Ragtop, 5.0, AOD, shift kit, Pony wheels, baby cam, X pipe and Flowbasterds.
    1984 SVO needs TLC

Quote Originally Posted by varn82 View Post
    exhaust sound is obviously personal preference. but i prefer an h-pipe over an x-pipe. when i bought my 05, first thing i put in it was an off-road x-pipe. at the time, i couldnt find an h-pipe. i did not like how the x-pipe sounded at all, sounded european. like a 6 cyl or something. i dont know what it was, i just didnt like it. ia few months later, i bought an h-pipe for it, and the car sounded more throaty, like a v8 mustang should. but like i said above, its preference, and some like it either way. currently i am running no crossover at all, and i love how it sounds.
    i agree. i don't like the sound of x-pipes at all. i researched it at length before i bought my h pipe.

cale

Quote Originally Posted by Syco Stang View Post
    ...Borla makes THE best sounding muffler, period. It sounds sexy, the only way to describe it really.
    Mac mufflers are alright too, they are mild at cruising RPM but scream when you get on it. I have a really old set of burned out Mac's on my 351W and it screams, though I do have an aggressive cam which helps out with the noise. I will be changing to Borla mufflers eventually.

SS
    X2!! I have a set of equal length shorties, VRS catted X pipe, and a 3" Mac Cat back. The car sounds awesome. Everyone always comments on how mean the car sounds....I then got a good deal on a Mac 3" catback that someone had replaced the Mac mufflers with 3" Borlas...so I swaped my catback setup. First thing I noticed, which surprised me was that the car was quieter at idle...(better for going unnoticed, when you need to... ) But, when your foot is in it...It is pure music!!!! This system screams!!!
    1986 Mustang GT.
    1986 Mustang GT Vert
    1989 5.0 LX
    1986 5.0 LX Drag Car
    1982 5.0 GT
    1986 Mercury Capri
    1981 Mustang wide body. MM&FF cover car Jan 1998
    1979 Pace Car

Quote Originally Posted by smokin' 89 View Post
    I then got a good deal on a Mac 3" catback that someone had replaced the Mac mufflers with 3" Borlas...so I swaped my catback setup. First thing I noticed, which surprised me was that the car was quieter at idle...(better for going unnoticed, when you need to... ) But, when your foot is in it...It is pure music!!!! This system screams!!!
    Got any video or soundclips????
    SS
    1984 SVO needs TLC

Nothing beats 2ch 40 series flowmasters that have some age to them, and Bbk headers with an H pipe.

Oh yeah and dumped

Compression ratios play a role in the sound aswell. I often thought about dynomax bullits but from what Ive heard they don't have that chamberd 302 tone that flows have.
    83' capri ~ 306ci
    speedpro LW hyperpistons
    Lightly ported Gt40s milled 040/ 3 angle valve, TFS springs
    E303/ 1.7 RR
    Rpm intake
    holley 650 dp
    BBK headers~ H pipe~ flows
    373's
    C4 and other drag tricks of the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Syco Stang View Post
    Got any video or soundclips????
    SS
    Unfortunately I dont, and the car has been put away for the winter. Remind me in the spring, and I will get a soundclip for you.
    1986 Mustang GT.
    1986 Mustang GT Vert
    1989 5.0 LX
    1986 5.0 LX Drag Car
    1982 5.0 GT
    1986 Mercury Capri
    1981 Mustang wide body. MM&FF cover car Jan 1998
    1979 Pace Car

so i put the one chamber flows on tonight. They are dumped right before the rear axle and i am very pleased!!! inside my sheetmetal storage garage it sounded fricken mean im guessing it is going to sound real good on the street too.

i run bbk shorties into a 3" offroad h pipe, into flowmaster 40 series, out to 3" tailpipes....i wont ever change it to anything else.....ever. i always got comments on how awesome and mean it sounded.
    85 GT: bbk headers and H pipe, 3" flowmasters, k&n, bbk springs, eagle alloys, msd ignition system, a/c delete...currently at body shop receiving some fresh copper metallic pearl paint

RICERS: PROOF THAT AN I.Q. IS NOT A REQUIREMENT TO PURCHASE A CAR

nothing says 19 years old more than 1 chamber flows, 160 hp and dumps.

Enjoy the noise annoyance. Bring earplugs, save yourself a lot of grief in your elder years.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

Quote Originally Posted by v8only View Post
    nothing says 19 years old more than 1 chamber flows, 160 hp and dumps.

Enjoy the noise annoyance. Bring earplugs, save yourself a lot of grief in your elder years.
    Its really a moot point when you consider that a stock 190hp 302 will not really be all that loud vs a modded 302. I remember back when my first mod was flowmasters with the little towncar low po 302 and 2 brl. It's 50x louder now with the same mufflers.

The again a H pipe and dumps will do that
    83' capri ~ 306ci
    speedpro LW hyperpistons
    Lightly ported Gt40s milled 040/ 3 angle valve, TFS springs
    E303/ 1.7 RR
    Rpm intake
    holley 650 dp
    BBK headers~ H pipe~ flows
    373's
    C4 and other drag tricks of the trade.

I've always loved my Pypes Violators. Straight-through design, no drone, civil at idle and cruise, but they really open up and rip-roar at WOT.

Magnaflows would be my second choice - similar design to Violators, but with a bit more sound-absorbing material inside the mufflers. They also tend to be a little bit more expensive on average than Violators, from what I've seen.
    1986 GMC S-15 ext. cab 2.8 - DAILY BEATER.

1989 Mustang LX 5.0 notch - T-5, 4.10, alum. DS, KC clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, O/R-X and Violator cat-back, A/C delete - WEEKEND TOY.

This is a vid of my car from 07 when it had a stock 5.0, pypes x pipe and the old 2 chamber flomasters.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/4...ord_133915.htm

Here is the same set-up driving away.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/b...-to_135133.htm

+
    ++
    +++
    ++++

Fun is fun, and done is done!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast