Close

Default Exhaust experts opinion

Well, from a long time, the idea to convert my Pace Car to dual grown on me and i started collecting parts, but since a few days, i'm on the way to change my mind and try to stay single as i think i'll miss it's different tone (most Mustangs here are duals).

What do you think of this ...
    I currently have some used MAC headers and 2-1/2 X-pipe, waiting to get the cat-back to put behind. Idea would be to either (easy way) close without mod or (will require some welding) cut and close the passenger side output of the X-pipe, then run a flow tube to a driver-side 2-1/2 turbo muffler (don't like chambered) and end with a (still) 2-1/2 over-axle tail-pipe that'll have a dual output.

That'll still provide a better breathing exhaust than factory without the assle of modifying the rear brake line and fuel-tank line and allow me to get some factory looking tailpipe.
    '79 Pace Car 5.0 (well 4.2 until better days)
    '80 Capri 2.3 (sold ) - '79 Hatchback 2.3 (sold ) - '80 Notchback 3.3 (junk yard )

My '85 Capri came with the original single exhaust. It is a 2 1/2" pipe before it split to the two 2 1/4" mufflers and tail pipes. It wasn't very performance driven even at that size. If you want to get a performance exhaust that keeps the original design, I would just have one custom made and go with at least a 3" pipe, 3 1/2" if they can make it work. Then a 3" or 3 1/2" muffler and a 3" over the axle into the dual output. Just my suggestion. I wanted to keep mine looking stock, but then I didn't and I don't regret it. I did keep the entire stock exhaust so I could put it back on, but I don't think I ever will. I went with BBK long tubes and off road H-pipe and Flowmaster Deltas dumped. I like it now.
    1985 Mercury Capri GS - 5.0, 5-Speed, Ported E7s, FMS F303, TFS Valve Springs, Summit Stage 2 Intake, Holley Street Avenger 570, BBK Longtubes, BBK O/R H-Pipe, Flowmasters, Dumps, FRPP HD Clutch, Pro 5.0, Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms, and tons of satisfaction when I can say, "I just beat you with a Mercury!"

1983 Mercury Capri RS Crimson Cat - 5.0, 4-Speed, T-roof.

Aim is not a performance exhaust, just some upgrade while retaining factory look and tone somewhat.
    The engine won't be upgraded much, it should be somewhere close to the power output of the H.O. engine so going 3" even single might be a bit overkill.
    '79 Pace Car 5.0 (well 4.2 until better days)
    '80 Capri 2.3 (sold ) - '79 Hatchback 2.3 (sold ) - '80 Notchback 3.3 (junk yard )