Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fairmont tilt

Default fairmont tilt

what years of mustang tilt steering colums will fit my 79 mont and look stock, if any? thanks matt

I think any 79-86 would be the same.

My car came with the tilt wheel.
    1979 Zephyr, EFI GT40P 5.0, Mac longtubes, Dynomax exhaust, AODE transmission, 3.27 geared 8.8, subframe connectors, Lakewood uppers/lowers, trunk mounted battery, fuel cell >
    < My Photo Galleries: http://s474.photobucket.com/user/Ltn...?sort=3&page=6
    More GT40P info than you ever wanted to know...http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1014187

k thanks matt

Not quite. '79-'82 and maybe even '83 if you want the splined steering shaft (where the steering wheel mounts). Also, '84 and later had the horn button on the steering wheel. Although, if you're swapping the whole column including the steering wheel, this all doesn't matter.

My '83 Fairmont had the longer steering column (non-tilt) and the crappy looking steering wheel. It was an easy fix to swap in an earlier shorter version and the Sport Steering wheel.

Dean T

P.S. My '83 Fairmont had the double D steering shaft to steering wheel interface. Not sure if all Fox Fords went to double D in '83 or only some or if it was a running change.
    Last edited by Dean_T; 06-01-2016 at 01:00 AM.
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

here something i found out when i had my 1980 fairmont wagon steering colum out. it look alot different than the 1983 mustang steering colum, i was putting in its place.
    the fairmont had the extra rod going down from steering colum shifter to engine conpartment.
    where the stang steering colum didn't.
    so i had also had to change the rubber fire wall boot to match the 83 stang steering colum .
    both where tilt and i was going from slush-o-matic to stick shift in the wagon..
    Last edited by rancheronut; 02-08-2009 at 01:34 AM. Reason: where walldow

Since its the only thread about Fairmont Tilt columns, I have a bit of good news. Mine didn't have the Tilt column from the factory, but I found a good one from a yard about 700 miles from me, from a 1980 Thunderbird with a floor shift. Ordered sight unseen. Fox is Fox, I thought. I was right. The 1980 TBird column upper shaft does slide inside the lower column shaft. I tapped it with my hammer, and got it down to the perfect length (about 1.75 inches.) Fits like a glove. All the hardware bolts right in since I have to use the Fairmont outer shaft with the mounting bars. It came with the TBird wheel, but my nice black factory sport wheel fits perfect.

And believe it or not, I read the factory manual, where it mentions the bearing that fits on the lower shaft. Its supposed to slip down and off, not hammered off or back on, so I took some 80 grit oil-cloth sand paper and took all the 36 years of crud off and slid that puppy on for a snug fit. I don't have Cruise control, nor do I want it, so the stock top butterfly plate from the Fairmont (lane changer tab for the turn switch), instead of the cruise control plate which is rectangular.

Hoping to get the car back together by the end of April, so I'll take pics tomorrow and post them.
    Last edited by Stormin' Norman; 04-21-2016 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Fixed TYPOS
    1979 Ford Fairmont 4-Eyed Squire (Mexican-Built) 3.3 I6 (200 CID) 4-Speed SROD Trans, Tri-Power

Yeah, ive seen guys swap volume between fox cars a lot. The trim that goes around it is the biggest difference. There was a guy that did a sn-95 dash swap into a tbird and used column surrounds from different cars to make it look and fit perfectly.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I just removed the top half of my column in my 80 Fairmont and slipped in the top half from a 81 Mustang.

It really not all that hard to do if you find a donor column. I bought mine on eBay.

Tom

I swapped one from a 87 Turbocoupe into our 79 Fairmont. Even used the TC plastic trim. The TC was an early production 87 so it had the 85/86 t-bird/mustang speed control wheel. I didn't have SC on the car but the wheel still looked good.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

Got it installed. I'm finishing the surrounds in black satin. I thought I had all the parts, but I was missing the metal plate and nylon shroud clips. Luckily I found the plate on EBAY, and the nylon clip from Green Sales Company for decent prices. Those were used from 1979 to 1991 on most Ford models.

I had a couple Rivieras with the telescoping column, and I would think that older TBirds and Lincolns had those as well, but that 'toy' seems to have disappeared. They were useful at drive-in theaters.:D

Name:  ReflectixDeadener_4.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  87.7 KB
    1979 Ford Fairmont 4-Eyed Squire (Mexican-Built) 3.3 I6 (200 CID) 4-Speed SROD Trans, Tri-Power

Looks Great !!!, and there is that chrome tilt lever I am trying to find for my car.

If you decided to switch to a black one out of a Mustang or another version please sell me that one.

The chrome has peeled on mine and haven't had any luck finding another one yet.

Tom

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by PROSTOCKTOM View Post
    Looks Great !!!, and there is that chrome tilt lever I am trying to find for my car.

If you decided to switch to a black one out of a Mustang or another version please sell me that one.

The chrome has peeled on mine and haven't had any luck finding another one yet.

Tom
    Mine is peeling too.

BUT I found 12 of the chrome ones! When I hit an 'Unobtainium' issue, this is what I do:

1) Go to Fordpartsgiant.com.

There were some changes to the 1981 models and up, so I use the 1980 Fairmont, Zephyr or Mustang Capri years. Scroll down to the Lever for the part number, in this case D8BZ-13305-A (Tilt Lever)

http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts-...ilt-wheel.html

Then I go to rearcounter.com to see which credible vendors have the part:
    http://www.rearcounter.com/D8BZ-13305-A-parts76322.html

I've used Green Sales Company a lot. Very fair, very efficient. They've got 5 in stock.
    http://www.greensalescompany.com/

You have to call, but its a Toll-Free number. Its their nickel. 1-800-543-4959
    Hope that helps Tom.
    Last edited by Stormin' Norman; 05-01-2016 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Added Phone info

"in this case D8BZ-13305-A (Tilt Lever)"

This is the turn signal lever when I start looking it up.

I'll dig around and see what I can find.

Thanks,

Tom
    Last edited by PROSTOCKTOM; 05-01-2016 at 01:15 PM.

"in this case D8BZ-13305-A (Tilt Lever)"

This is the turn signal lever when I start looking it up.

I'll dig around and see what I can find.

Thanks,

Tom
    Oops!
    You're right:

Here's the number:
    D9AZ-3F609-B

57 here:
    http://www.rearcounter.com/D9AZ-3F60...rts193942.html

11 of the "A" suffix:
    http://www.rearcounter.com/D9AZ-3F60...rts193941.html

I wonder what the difference is between the "A" and the "B" suffix part wise?

Probably should be glad to still be able to get either one 38 years later.

Tom

I wonder what the difference is between the "A" and the "B" suffix part wise?

Probably should be glad to still be able to get either one 38 years later.

Tom
    Probably Black or Chrome. I saw some Mustang Part numbers with the "A" suffix. Check on the fordpartsgiant.com site.

I sent an email to Green Sales asking them to tell me the difference between the two.

Have done a lot of business with them over the years, so I will see what they have to say in a few hours.

Thanks,

Tom

I need the column shrouds/covers. The yard in Alberta (500 miles west of me) sent me the 1980 Fairmont tilt column, and the plastic collar. All I can find are Mustang collars. I've a nice black set that I used from a 1985 Mustang, but fixed column. I've a few sets from other Fairmonts that had the column shift, and I've one set, that came from a 1981 Capri, that's about 1-1/2" longer than my others, gray in color - floor shift. I'll try my hot gun on one of the old Fairmont sets to see if I can curve the lip at the collar, while I wait to find a F/Z set. If it works, I'll do it to the black Mustang set.

I did an 'owie' I thought the Tilt column was too long, so while I was cleaning it up, a few months ago, I shortened it by tapping the inner column up. My column ended up with the key at the lip of the dash. I checked for column shaft lengths everywhere, without luck, to see how long the tilt columns are.

I adjusted it (removed and reinstalled, AKA PITA) and managed to get the key away from the dash by about 4.5", still too close. I think it should be another 1/2 to 3/4" up from the dash lip, below the gauges. There's enough slack in the column wires to move it up. A 6-footer probably wouldn't notice the distance to the wheel, but I'm short in one end. lol! At 5'8", every sixteenth counts!

My other option is to make one. I've been thinking of a brushed stainless steel one, with a round, curved lip near the collar and secured under the column. It would make it tougher for car thieves too. Thin SS is easy enough to bend.

I got the 1984 LTD reclining buckets and the 1981 Capri console back in, and sat in the seat. Oh this car just spells fun! The tilt comes down just right; the gear shift is at the right height and distance from the dash. I know I'm gonna love it. Might just pick a fight with the wife to spend the night sitting inside (she doesn't do that... J/K...

Actually, I swapped it to a stick shift because she won't drive an automatic. Now I'll have to get me another one, for me! (I ain't kidding on that point.)

Yes, There seems to be different length column plastic covers. I recall my '83 Fairmont with non-tilt column shift had the long covers but no plastic cover. My '82 Cougar wagon has long covers (don't know if they were as long as the '83 Fairmont's) and a plastic ring on a tilt column with column shifter. My '78 has the short column plastic covers on a non-tilt column shifter. I can't remember what my '84 notch Mustang had.
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    Yes, There seems to be different length column plastic covers. I recall my '83 Fairmont with non-tilt column shift had the long covers but no plastic cover. My '82 Cougar wagon has long covers (don't know if they were as long as the '83 Fairmont's) and a plastic ring on a tilt column with column shifter. My '78 has the short column plastic covers on a non-tilt column shifter. I can't remember what my '84 notch Mustang had.
    Well, at least the column is 'stretchy'.

Now I'm confuddled with too much information!

The column shrouds that I have are different lengths, different colours but they're all for Fixed columns.

I had an old set from a 2 door sedan donor with column shift (auto trans) that I modified to see what it took to make it fit on my 1980 Fairmont Tilt column (Floor shift, no cruise control) and it almost works. The confusion comes when I look at the part numbers on the ones that I have. The column that I bought didn't come with the shroud except for the TILT Collar and lever.

The modded one that I used to make a temporary cover had to lose all but one plastic standoff for the usual screws that hold the top and bottom in place, so I used ZIP-Ties to hold them in place.

As far as I can tell the normal Part Numbering system works to identify the shrouds except for whether they are TILT or NON-TILT, maybe...

Here's the numbers I have for my NON-TILT shrouds:

These are the short ones
    D8BC-3530-AWC Bottom
    D8BC-3530-CWC Top

Name:  ColShrouds_2.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  68.8 KB

Name:  ColShrouds_3.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  70.2 KB

Name:  ColShrouds_4.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  90.7 KB

These are the long black ones (about 2 inches longer) From the 1981 Capri floor shift automatic)
    D9BC-3530-NWB Bottom
    D9BC-3530-UWB Top

The nice black ones from the 1985 Mustang automatic floor shift
    D9BC-3530-NWB Bottom
    D9BC-3530-JWB Top

D9AC 3R564-AWA Tilt Collar from the 1980 Fairmont column that I bought from a distant Canadian junkyard.

I might be able to find some NOS or gently used shrouds on different sites or confirm if a seller is selling me the right ones.

The main issue are how the plastic stand-offs are located inside to clear the ignition cavity. I don't want to modify the 2 black sets I have, and I don't think they'd work anyway. The long set have them away from the ignition cavity, and would likely work, but it seems like something really rare.

To top it off, I may have to figure a way to make a sort of accordion-type of extension between the Tilt Collar and the top/bottom shroud covers, since I am using one of my sports wheels.

Name:  ColShrouds_1.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  91.3 KB

Does anyone have the Part Numbers for the Tilt Shrouds?
    Last edited by Stormin' Norman; 08-31-2016 at 11:51 AM.

Should have searched before...

This thread has the part numbers:
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...n+part+numbers

And this one Items 35 and 36:
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-Part-Numbers

I recently purchased an 88 T-bird turbo coupe tilt column (floor shift type) with 47 K carfax verified original miles ;-)

If the black plastics that are on it are of use to someone (and I don't break any of the grey ones on my LTD LX, that I plan to re-use) please contact me.
    1985 LTD LX original owner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast