Close

Default Tach stopped working

well i went to change the jets in my 4180c and i went to start it up and the tach stopped working! wth?! all i did was remove the carb! its a 79 stang. suggestions anyone? thanks in advance!

Ernest
    Last edited by The LX Kid 5.0; 01-18-2009 at 09:02 PM.

check to see if maybe you knocked the tach lead off the coil while you were working on the carb? it's a green wire on my 85.
    1985 Mustang GT Convertible
    Stock and original @ 213k, except for dynomax ultraflos.

well today i finally got a chance to look things over i found this 3 wire connector(the single one on the right) that comes off the coil side of harness, i dont know where it goes to,it had a plastic connector to it but it broke off! :-(

And check this out i had the ignition key to power position and i was probing the wiring with a volt meter, i twisted the connector and the car cranked over! i and jumped! lol!

i went over the wires and some of the connectors wires are pretty bad,so i may have to find another engine side harness? Any other ideas? thanks for looking.

Ernest

FEP Power Member

ya, it woulent be there, check the 2 wires right on the coil.

Quote Originally Posted by hotpony View Post
    ya, it woulent be there, check the 2 wires right on the coil.
    well there is only 2 wires on the coil red and green but,the car wouldnt run at all if they were bad.

On the 8 pin plug you should find the green with yellow wire that the tach gets it's signal from. Probably splits off into 2 wires. Check them out. Sounds like a bad connection or broken wire.