Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Cassette won't stay in.

I just purchased a factory Am/Fm cassette player. It's the post style and non premium sound if it matters. I was testing it out today and everything works on it, even the cassette player. But the tape won't stay in! I have to hold it in to make it play. Could I be hooking it up wrong to test it or could there be something else wrong?
    1977 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser

I had to take myself back an era for this one lol !!
    it kinda sounds like a spring is off on the inside the unit.

Or the tape is wound too tight. If that's the case, and the player is not auto-reverse, the player thinks it's the end of the tape and is ejecting it.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Are you serious I thought we put our 1980's head units in for MCA points, not for use I put my post style radio in my '85 with the cheesy paper speakers in the dash and listen to it, like....never! Thats what my mp3 player is for

Seriously though, if the tape won't stay in but it works when you hold it in then there is a spring/catch mechanism on the inside that is probably broken off or missing.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

FEP Senior Member

Kinda sounds like you got shafted on your purchase. I agree, it sounds like the catch to keep the cassette in has done broke off.

rob
    Rob

1984 GT Convertible: Born November 1983 so it has slapper bars and no fog lights. Has DSO 89 (Transportation Services) and later sold to a Ford VP of Finance in Palo Alto, CA. Medium Canyon Red Exterior, Charcoal Interior, 5.0, 5-speed, power windows and doors, and 85k miles.

http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...ics/?start=all

FEP Senior Member

So this catch mechanism, is there anyway to fix it?
    1977 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser

That I couldn't answer without having the unit on my bench and disecting it.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

the what wont stay in?! whats a cassette? lol

You know, I shouldn't have poked fun because the '82 GT I just bought has the stock premium am/fm cassette system (if you want to call it a system ) in it, so this coming season I will be running around with a cassette adaptor hooked to my MP3 player
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey