Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Charcoal Grey Trim Paint Code HELP

Hello everyone. Was wondering if anyone had the correct factory paint code for the Charcoal Grey Trim used on 85-86 Mustang GT's. Maybe even a paint code for PPG or Standox for the color?? My 85 GT restoration is ready for trim paint and want to get the color exact to original trim. Any suggestions would help. I have all NOS rubber body side moldings and some NOS windshield moldings that are the correct Charcoal grey. Not sure what to match color to due to the rubber molding and painted NOS trim molding that I have are slightly different in color due to the fact that one is rubber and the other is painted metal surface. Thanks guys, stangboy85
    1985 Mustang GT Restoration-original black, moonroof, 5 speed car.

I have yet to get a real code for PPG for the color as it has to be mixed with a clear and a flattening (as in low sheen) agent to bring the sheen down...and I've never gotten a good confirmation on what works.

Buy SEM Charcoal bumper trim paint in a can and call it a day. Its good stuff and people swear by it. You will probably have to paint all your NOS parts to make the color match perfectly.

-Mike

67 Cougar
    85 Jalepeno Red GT
    85 Bright Red RS
    88 Smoke Grey GT Hatch
    88 Bright Regata Blue GT Hatch
    89 Bright Regata Blue GT Vert

PPG #DDL 33717
    Ausie, Aussie, Aussie
    Oi, Oi, Oi

84 1C SVO "Blackie the Wonderbeater" (DECEASED!!!!)
    84 9L SVO T-TOP (under restoration)
    84 1C SVO T-TOP (Deceased)
    86 2R SVO (roller, future pro-tourer)

Quote Originally Posted by chalkysexplorer View Post
    PPG #DDL 33717
    Yeah, but what clear do you use? Do you have the correct clear formula? If you paint it with just that formula, it comes out flat and rough doesn't it? It did on mine so I had him clear it and it is now very glossy. I plan on roughing it up and spraying some satin clear or satin paint on it to match my NOS side mouldings.

-Mike

You need to use a flattening agent whic I believe is described in the paint chart when you provide that number. Jcamper over at SVOCA used the stuff on his 2A 85.
    Ausie, Aussie, Aussie
    Oi, Oi, Oi

84 1C SVO "Blackie the Wonderbeater" (DECEASED!!!!)
    84 9L SVO T-TOP (under restoration)
    84 1C SVO T-TOP (Deceased)
    86 2R SVO (roller, future pro-tourer)

Use the SEM stuff 39153 off the top of my head. I will confirm the number when I get home. The color and gloss is spot on. I did mine 6-8 years ago and looks great.
    Crystal Lake Illinois
    1986 GT 306 S-trim, M2300k, Bullits 450rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post
    Yeah, but what clear do you use? Do you have the correct clear formula? If you paint it with just that formula, it comes out flat and rough doesn't it? It did on mine so I had him clear it and it is now very glossy. I plan on roughing it up and spraying some satin clear or satin paint on it to match my NOS side mouldings.

-Mike
    DDL is PPG laquer. Avoid this. That code can be mixed in multiple different paint lines though. I mix and sell ALL PPG paint lines so if I remember, tomorrow at work I will try and figure out of there is a way to make it a satin finish. I think you could probably shoot DBC basecoat and then shoot low-gloss clear over it (I forget the PPG #). I'll see what I can come up with. It may be able to be mixed in DCC (PPG Deltron single stage urethane) in low gloss. That would be the easiest and best looking route.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

19 Years of Foureyedpride.com

39153 is correct.

Here is what was used on my 86 7B resto:

86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Purebreed1 View Post
    Use the SEM stuff 39153 off the top of my head. I will confirm the number when I get home. The color and gloss is spot on. I did mine 6-8 years ago and looks great.
    I've got a couple of trim pieces I want to repaint, so I'm going to give this a try. Thanks for the tip.
    67 Cougar
    85 Jalepeno Red GT
    85 Bright Red RS
    88 Smoke Grey GT Hatch
    88 Bright Regata Blue GT Hatch
    89 Bright Regata Blue GT Vert

Quote Originally Posted by Ken P View Post
    Here is what was used on my 86 7B resto:
    7B = Shadow Blue Metallic = best color ever. That's what my 86 Capri is. Love the color. Went out and checked my can of charcoal grey and it is also 33717. I used DBC and went over it with regular clearcoat. It's not satin like it should be. Like I said above, I will see what I can do at work tomorrow if I have free time. I will post codes and mixing instructions of what I come up with.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

Thanks. I'm not disputing the 33717 code, just that I never seemed to get a good answer on how to mix it satin. The painter was willing but he didn't seem to know. He did absolutely excellent work on the car, one of the best jobs. But we couldn't get that one issue figured out and I couldn't hold him up on it.

-Mike

Ok, had some time at work today and looked up all the mixes and information involving 33717, which is the right code, as confirmed by our old 1986 PPG Ford book. Here is what I found:

DCC 33717 (single stage Concept urethane- closest to original) already comes as a satin when it is mixed by the paint store or bodyshop. It has DX995 flattening agent in the formula.
    DBC 33717 (basecoat urethane, possibly better color match) is a basecoat the is clearcoated with 34376 low-gloss clearcoat. 34376 is not pre-packaged, it must be mixed. It is a combination of 2060 "flexed and flat" clear and 2042 clearcoat if I remember correctly.
    33717 was also available in laquer and enamel, but I would seriously avoid both of them for cost/durability/color match/gloss match's sake.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

The DCC 33717 can be seen in the above SVO pictures and looks to be low gloss, confirming what PPG has listed that it comes out satin.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

I know a lot of people with this question. I can't wait till someone gets it perfectly figured out.
    Justin
    1986 Mustang GT

Here is one of many items I purchased from a former Ford Employee that worked on the SVO. Unfortunately, this was the only item that he couldn't find when sending me everything.

S56. 1, 8 ½” X 11” Eastman Plastics, ‘color master’ for the 1984 thru 1986 Mustang SVO
    Charcoal gray. You will not find this anywhere else. This is surely an argument
    ender during judging. 25.00

I would assume that the Charcoal gray is the same for any Mustang?

I could check again to find out if he ever found it.
    2007 SL55 - Capri Blue - Leather, 487/560 WHP/WTQ at 13.5PSI

Quote Originally Posted by UFILUKY View Post
    I know a lot of people with this question. I can't wait till someone gets it perfectly figured out.
    What I posted above is the correct paint code. I have two 10,XXX mile SVOs and it matches them perfectly.

The first pic is obviously in the garage and the flash washed out the color just a bit. The second pic of the 2A was taken at nearly sundown so the light level was low and may appear a little darker.

EDIT: I've added another pic of the 7B just for a "side by side by side" comparison...

haha
    Last edited by Ken P; 01-01-2009 at 08:43 PM.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

FEP Senior Member

the DCC 33717 is to be used with a specific activator DCX 61
    and in a specific ratio.--irv
    this works great and is very durable.
    86 capri 5.0-sold
    88 XR7[still fox body]-sold
    96 XR7- 25000 miles

Correct. The DCC has special reduction due to it being lower gloss. 6:2:1 if I'm not mistaken.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

FEP Senior Member

Talking

yep. used it on all the grey parts on my 86 capri.
    and yes it is a low gloss.use a respirator when
    spraying.--irv
    86 capri 5.0-sold
    88 XR7[still fox body]-sold
    96 XR7- 25000 miles

Hey guys, thanks for all your help on this post I started. I gave Marquis Auto Restorations the ford and ppg paint codes and yes this is the correct trim color. I will update you all with pics, of the trim painting and progress on reassembly of the car, as I get them. Thanks again.
    1985 Mustang GT Restoration-original black, moonroof, 5 speed car.

Great thread!
    Stangboy85 - Any updates / pics to share?

I'm going to be doing some trim work on my '86 as well and I'm SUPER happy to have the correct and acutal codes!

Clarifying questions:
    Irvin mentioned that the DCC 33717 is to be used with a specific activator DCX 61
    and in a specific ratio.

Ethan, is the activator that Irvin mentioned (DCX 61) something that is added to the DCC before it leaves the hands of the paint supplier or do they need to be told to add this? Will the painter supplier / mixer know the ratio or do I need to tell them that it is 6:2:1?
    Mark

1986 GT Hatchback (2R): 5spd, TFS FAC 170s, TFS Stage 2 Cam, Vortech SQ S-Trim, MM Suspension, SN95 5-lug conversion w/Fox 5-lug rear axles, 3.73's, 13" / 11.65" brakes, Moates QuarterHorse
    '88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

Ken, that Blue car's trim looks much shinier though than the red car's.

Low gloss is good but it still isn't satin.

I would opt for low gloss any day though if it's the closest we can get.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Quikk86 View Post
    Great thread!
    Stangboy85 - Any updates / pics to share?

I'm going to be doing some trim work on my '86 as well and I'm SUPER happy to have the correct and acutal codes!

Clarifying questions:
    Irvin mentioned that the DCC 33717 is to be used with a specific activator DCX 61
    and in a specific ratio.

Ethan, is the activator that Irvin mentioned (DCX 61) something that is added to the DCC before it leaves the hands of the paint supplier or do they need to be told to add this? Will the painter supplier / mixer know the ratio or do I need to tell them that it is 6:2:1?
    DCX61 is a hardener that is purchased separately of the paint. Once added, the clock starts ticking to get it on the car. Another words, the paint starts to harden. If the paint store were to add it (which they never do) you would get home, pop the lid off, and have partially hard goo. So you will need to buy a can of DCX61. Since you are dealing with a low gloss color, you will use the mix ratio you have listed there. The reducer you will need is DT870/885. 870 is for cool weather and 885 is for warmer weather. There is also 860 (cold weather) and 895 (very warm weather).
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast