Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post
    Ken, that Blue car's trim looks much shinier though than the red car's.

Low gloss is good but it still isn't satin.

I would opt for low gloss any day though if it's the closest we can get.

-Mike
    I would think a flat paint with elastomer additive polished using a low speed orbital buffer would produce the correct sheen. Maybe that's what the secret is.

I have a couple of NOS moldings. I'll try this out on the old pieces and see how this works.

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    DCX61 is a hardener that is purchased separately of the paint. Once added, the clock starts ticking to get it on the car. Another words, the paint starts to harden. If the paint store were to add it (which they never do) you would get home, pop the lid off, and have partially hard goo. So you will need to buy a can of DCX61. Since you are dealing with a low gloss color, you will use the mix ratio you have listed there. The reducer you will need is DT870/885. 870 is for cool weather and 885 is for warmer weather. There is also 860 (cold weather) and 895 (very warm weather).
    Thanks for the information!
    Mark

1986 GT Hatchback (2R): 5spd, TFS FAC 170s, TFS Stage 2 Cam, Vortech SQ S-Trim, MM Suspension, SN95 5-lug conversion w/Fox 5-lug rear axles, 3.73's, 13" / 11.65" brakes, Moates QuarterHorse
    '88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

I thought the SVO was a lighter shade?
    1985 GT/Hatch/5 speed-project
    2002 GT/Convertible/5 speed

Does a clear coat need to be applied after the DCC33717 is sprayed?
    Mark

1986 GT Hatchback (2R): 5spd, TFS FAC 170s, TFS Stage 2 Cam, Vortech SQ S-Trim, MM Suspension, SN95 5-lug conversion w/Fox 5-lug rear axles, 3.73's, 13" / 11.65" brakes, Moates QuarterHorse
    '88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

DCC is a single-stage urethane so clearcoat is not needed. If you're really wild about it, you CAN clearcoat it. But again, it is not necessary with DCC. If you were to spray DBC or DBU, it would be necessary.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

19 Years of Foureyedpride.com

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    DCC is a single-stage urethane so clearcoat is not needed. If you're really wild about it, you CAN clearcoat it. But again, it is not necessary with DCC. If you were to spray DBC or DBU, it would be necessary.
    That's what I think my body guy did. HE sprayed the base cout grey. It was all flat. So he cleared it. I asked for a satin clear but he had no idea what to order.

It looks find now...just shiny.

Ahhhh, details, details...

-Mike

Should I order a pint or a quart to paint all moldings around the car, cowl grille, plastic cowl trim pieces that are below the windshield, sail panels, and trim around the doors?

The rubber body moldings are in okay shape (some scuffs). I'm not planning to remove them from the car. Should I paint those with the DCC or just clean them up as best is possible and leave them?

Looks like its about $86 for a quart of the DCC 33717 w/DX995 flattening agent and then $35 for the DCX61 hardener and approx. $20 for the reducer.
    Mark

'88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

Quote Originally Posted by Purebreed1 View Post
    Use the SEM stuff 39153 off the top of my head. I will confirm the number when I get home. The color and gloss is spot on. I did mine 6-8 years ago and looks great.
    Just bought a can to redo a set of taillight lenses, this product is an EXCELLENT match! THANKS FOR THE TIP!

Looking good McFord! I used that sem 39153 for all my grey areas. Headlight buckets, moldings, cowl panel, taillight lenses (like you), window trim, etc. It is a great match, sprays nice, and will last for a long time as you do the prep work right.

Well done!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Thanks Mike! I plan on redoing the rest of the trim.

My Jalapena red 86 GT is in the shop being fully repainted at the moment.

We are now facing the "trim color/finish challenge" !

My shop guy wants to use a two-step with clear coat. He says it’s just the modern/better way of doing it and that he can use a flat clear coat to get that contrast in the finishes like the original.

I really love the way the original trim looked on these cars (I have had the car since it was brand new), so I know I won't be satisfied if it doesn't have the same look both in color/tint as well as the satin finish.

What are your thoughts on the two step approach using a flat clear coat on the trim? Can it achieve the same look as the original?

Oh, and by the way, for the hood decal I am planning to use the flat/gray version from Phoenix Graphics. Curious to hear if folks have had experience what that as well from an overall trim experience on these 85/86 mustangs?

New User

Eric, have him do the body trim by using SEM "Charcoal" bumper spray. That is the correct color and should be used on your 86 GT. it comes in a rattle spray can as well...

Quote Originally Posted by TruperTim View Post
    Eric, have him do the body trim by using SEM "Charcoal" bumper spray. That is the correct color and should be used on your 86 GT. it comes in a rattle spray can as well...
    Thanks Tim.

One more thing I should add and ask...
    My car is a factory two-tone car ( meaning that from the molding-down the car is painted the same as the trim in satin gray). I had it done this way from the factory when the car was new. I want to replicate this again as I am repainting now.

So, should we also use SEM "Charcoal" ( I assume that is 39153 ) even for all this area that needs to be painted from the molding down to the bottom around the entire car?

Hello...went thru the nightmare with trim a few years ago and the whole satin clear finish over trim color. Also hood decal problem...no one makes correct grey to match trim color. If u have time call me. I can give u insight. Email.me for my number. stangboy85@msn.com. can go over details and give advice.
    1985 Mustang GT Restoration-original black, moonroof, 5 speed car.

Bwguardian did a lot of research on this when painting his 85 two tone vert. Try searching f some of his posts or send him a PM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

guess what?
    Last edited by plumkrazy; 03-12-2017 at 11:23 AM.
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

Sorry to bring up the Dead. But Need to repaint the Charcoal below the molding. Is this the best to use DCC 33717 and is anything else needed to get the right shine?

1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

Double post
    Last edited by airplanedriver; 03-12-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by plumkrazy View Post
    Sorry to bring up the Dead. But Need to repaint the Charcoal below the molding. Is this the best to use DCC 33717 and is anything else needed to get the right shine?

I need to do the same on my rear bumper, but it looks like two different shades of grey too me. My car has been garaged it's whole life and only has 7k mi.

If you have alot to lay down...ie a two tone car like mine...and/or want an exact match, search my past posts for what I came up with. It is a Sherwin Williams commercial automotive product that is not the most economical and has to be sprayed...but I can say it still looks like the day it was done after all these years. I had pictures from the previous owner and good friend of mine since the 70's, when he bought the car and was still new. He also had some charcoal trim pieces that sat in a box in the corner of covered storage, so they were purdy much in new off the shelf condition. I took these pieces and had Sherwin Williams color match them in addition to having my painter shoot a couple of test samples, which went back to Sherwin Williams to have them alter the color until it was as close to exact as possible.

I might add that the original factory charcoal gray lightens in color shade over time as apparent when my car came out of covered storage and compared to aforementioned pictures and trim. So if you are wanting to match things in that manner, the SEM product will probably be better, given it is lighter in color shade than what was factory applied new. If you are taking the car down to bare metal for a total repaint and want an almost exact match, then I would utilize the Sherwin Williams products with the mixture proportions I came up with.
    Last edited by bwguardian; 03-15-2017 at 09:10 AM.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12