Close

View Poll Results: Based upon the two images of the Door Tag, Do you think they are from the same car?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes The two pictures are of the same door tag

13 92.86%
  • No I don't believe they are he same door tag

1 7.14%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Take a black light to it, the signature might show up.
    -Currently Searching for "The One"

The car was recently recovered from a barn in Western Missouri. Flat tires and all and is in the process of being cleaned up and restored. Engine and exhaust aren't original to the car. Trying hard to locate the original owner of the car.

Here is the Fish story that helped me track down this car!

Quote from the Current Owner:

"I have a story for you that I hope you find interesting. A good friend (Friend #1) bought a 1982 Dominator Mustang in about 1985-1986. At the time he bought it, from the original owner, he was told it was the very first Dominator built. It was signed by Jackie Stewart (but the autograph had been painted over). The car was red/burgundy color, and had been lowered. The Dominator decals were not decals at all, but were painted on. They looked like they may have been airbrushed on. It also did not have the factory wheels on it. It also had a black small rise cowl hood. Growing up in K.C. MO. and being 19-20 at the time we didn't give it much thought about how special this car or any Dominator Mustang was at the time. There seemed to be alot of them around at the time. My friend had the car for many years, and then sold it to another friend of mine (Friend #2). I since lost track of friend#2, but ran into him last year at the swap meet in Springfield MO. I asked him if he still had the Mustang. He said he did, but that it had been repainted, covering up the original hand painted Dominator signs on the sides and hatch. He said he had the painter repaint them, but that they didn't come out the same. He offered to sell it to me. He said it had been sitting in his barn for the last 10 years, and he would be willing to sell it to me. The problem is, everything that made the car special, the hand painted Dominators, the autograph from Jackie Stewart ect. have all been covered up. The only proof that it was the first Dominator built is a story told to us 23 years ago. I was thinking of buying it, to help recapture some memories from my youth, but if it was indeed the first one built, I would definitely buy it. I know this probably sounds like a "fish" story or something, but I would be interested in your thoughts."

Seems it didn't turn out to be a fish story.. Lucky Guy I would say!

Its a Dominator!

Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

Yes I had thought about that. Suggested it to the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Blainer View Post
    Take a black light to it, the signature might show up.
    Steve
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

Hello everyone, first time trying to reply, so if I mess something up, or do something wrong, be easy on me. I am the owner of the Jackie Stewart 1982 Dominator. I tried the black light to see if the autograph would become visible, but no luck. If there are any other suggestions, I would be glad to hear them. I wonder if someone had some real high tech equipment if they could clear/zoom in on the photo of Jackie Stewart signing the car, and make it any more clear then Bluesfannoz has already been able to do.
    I want to thank Steve (bluesfannoz), for all his hard work in documenting the Dominators, and especially for all his help he has given me with documenting and finding information about my car. Thanks Steve!

Thanks go to you for tracking me down and putting up with my endless questions. I hope we are able to track down the original owner and also get Jackie to autograph something for you, if not the car once again. I scanned that photo at 9600 dpi. I don't believe it can get any clearer, and don't really feel its necessary. You have the Dominator he signed.
    Steve
    Previously owned:

I am convinced it is the car he autographed. I saw that at least one person was still not convinced according to the poll. I guess I was just trying to make it 100% agreement. I would love to get another autograph from Jackie Stewart, so if there is anyone out there with some connection.....

That would be Greg Weld.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesfannoz View Post
    Here is another picture of Jackie Stewart's visit to Summit Ford on May 8th 1982. He is talking to another Racing Legend(who is no longer with us) who came out for a visit that day. Any guess who it is? Are the wheels turning.....

Steve
    Previously owned:

I've made contact with Jackie Stewart's office and am sending them a copy of the Picture of Jackie signing the car. They are going to have him autograph it for Craig to keep with his car!
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Dominator owners:
    Steve has gone to a lot of effort researching Dominators, as well as my car.I think we all owe him a debt of gratitude for the hours he has spent in the library, and in front of his computer. We would not have a lot of this information, or pictures, if it were not for him. I appreciate everything he has done, and his willingness to share it with us. I could not be more happy and excited about this! Steve, thank you for all your efforts.
    Craig
    1982 Dominator GT
    *1st Dominator ever sold and
    autographed by Jackie Stewart *
    1993 Corvette
    2005 Roush Mustang
    2008 Escape
    (DD)

Craig thanks for the kind words. No need for thanks to me. I do it for the joy it brings me in learning the history of these cars and finding ones that are still around. I am a history and genealogy buff. So I am used to this kind of research. So I am just applying the same sort of detective work to these cars as I have been doing to my family history.
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Confirmed tonight that this car was the 1st Dominator sold. I tracked down and talked to the guy who purchased the car.
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Smile

Confirmed tonight that this car was the 1st Dominator sold. I tracked down and talked to the guy who purchased the car.
    More confirmation. This is very exciting news! I am a happy man! Thank you, Steve.
    1982 Dominator GT
    1993 Corvette
    2005 Roush Mustang
    2008 Escape
    (DD)

the picture on the right is blurry and has some magic marker on it. So I cant see the numbers too well. Just kidding, it is the same in my opinion, too bad sharpies werent around back then I bet that signature would still be on the door tag.

Quote Originally Posted by bull-vette View Post
    More confirmation. This is very exciting news! I am a happy man! Thank you, Steve.
    Ditto for me! Makes me more excited that I invested in my project everytime we piece more of the story back together. Thanks Steve!
    2012 Boss 302

1985 Canyon Red GT "Dominator package" T-Tops . . 7 year restoration

1986 GT Conv. (Rare Black/Tan combo) Original 58k car

1985.5 SVO . . #242 of 439, #50 of 75 1B Medium Charcoal Metallic 4 year restoration

Got a package in the mail from England today and here is a sample of what it had in it!

Steve
    Previously owned:

Got a package in the mail from England today and here is a sample of what it had in it!

Too cool! I wonder if this brought back memories for Sir Jackie? How old is he now?
    BTW...Does that say "with best wishes"? The first word is not real clear....
    Great job, Steve!
    1982 Dominator GT
    1993 Corvette
    2005 Roush Mustang
    2008 Escape
    (DD)

I concur as well. In fact the current tag appears to have a slight hint of black marker under the first five. It appears to be the same the width as the one shown in the orginal. Very cool find!
    1985 5.0 Coupe - will eventually be hated by Ford purists

The original owner, Dana, called me today, and said he found a few pictures of my car from back in the day. I took a trip out to see him, and he found the original owner's guide....and Jackie Stewart had autographed that as well! How cool is that? He also had a picture of it sitting in front of his house not long after he bought it, and before he did any modifications to it. The quality of the picture is not the greatest, because it was an old polaroid. I took a picture of the car sitting in the same exact spot that it was sitting in 29 years ago. I think that is pretty cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    1982 Dominator GT
    1993 Corvette
    2005 Roush Mustang
    2008 Escape
    (DD)

That is an incredible car and a truly awesome find Craig! Congrats!

The original owner, Dana, called me today, and said he found a few pictures of my car from back in the day. I took a trip out to see him, and he found the original owner's guide....and Jackie Stewart had autographed that as well! How cool is that? He also had a picture of it sitting in front of his house not long after he bought it, and before he did any modifications to it. The quality of the picture is not the greatest, because it was an old polaroid. I took a picture of the car sitting in the same exact spot that it was sitting in 29 years ago. I think that is pretty cool.
    Steve
    Previously owned:

FEP Senior Member

Wow, I´m just reading this thread and I´m amazed at both the research to find all the information and the extra things found.

If I were you I would restore the car to its original looks and color

Quote Originally Posted by blueandsilver View Post
    Wow, I´m just reading this thread and I´m amazed at both the research to find all the information and the extra things found.

If I were you I would restore the car to its original looks and color
    Thanks. It is the original color; the pictures just make it look different, because I usually take my photos at sunrise or sunset and it makes it look darker. I thought about restoring it back to original, but I like it the way it sits too much to go back to original. It's the little things, like wheels, hood, the stance, ect that I really like about it. These things can be changed back if the next owner wants to change it back. Anything I do, I keep the original part and put it in a box, so the next owner can have it if they want it. I also have a three ring binder with all the documentation, pictures, copies of the build sheet, and owners manual, that the new owner would have. I keep the original owners manual autographed by Jackie Stewart in a safety deposit box. I would hate for it to get burned up in a fire or something. Any way, I feel like I have done a lot of the hard work, and preservation for the next owner. Just personal preference I guess, on if to keep it as is or go back to original.
    Just had a thought...The original owner did most of this to the car within a few months of buying the car, so it has been this way longer than it was as it came from the factory. You can see from the photos he gave me, it hasn't changed much in the last 30 years.

Sunrise picture:

This picture shows the color a litte better.

Picture the original owner took shortly after he got it. He had already lowered it and put on new wheels and tires. He also replaced the hood shortly after this. So basically it went through a lot of changes soon after purchase, and then not much of anything for 30 years. It was just coincidence that I picked out the same kind of tires to put on it, that he had on it back in 1982. Kinda cool.

I think this is really special. Which is why I don't carry it around.

1982 Dominator GT
    1993 Corvette
    2005 Roush Mustang
    2008 Escape
    (DD)

New User

Default Jackie Stewart info.

Hi all, new here. I was at Summit Ford that day Jackie Stewart was there. I talked with him and he signed a Ford Racing poster, i still have. I remember there was about 50 gt's. Also there was "Sky Spy", 61 Country am traffic reporter, John Wagner, who had a red 82 Dominator GT, which he also did promotions for Summit Ford in 1982-1983.

Welcome aboard! So...do you happen to have any pictures from that day? You might have caught something going on in the background that you didn't notice. Were you with anyone else, who might have taken pictures? Are you saying that the "sky spy" owned a Dominator, or he did promotions for the dealership with one of the dealership cars? It is awesome that you were there. I would love to hear/know more, and I'm sure Bluesfannoz (Steve), the Dominator registrar, would love to hear more as well. Think about it, and if you have more, please post any information, or pictures here. Maybe post a picture of your autographed poster. If it's too much to type, or if you just want to chat about that day, let me know, I will be glad to PM you and give you a phone number. Great to locate someone else that was there that day.
    Information! We want more, please.
    1982 Dominator GT
    1993 Corvette
    2005 Roush Mustang
    2008 Escape
    (DD)

New User

Welcome aboard! So...do you happen to have any pictures from that day? You might have caught something going on in the background that you didn't notice. Were you with anyone else, who might have taken pictures? Are you saying that the "sky spy" owned a Dominator, or he did promotions for the dealership with one of the dealership cars? It is awesome that you were there. I would love to hear/know more, and I'm sure Bluesfannoz (Steve), the Dominator registrar, would love to hear more as well. Think about it, and if you have more, please post any information, or pictures here. Maybe post a picture of your autographed poster. If it's too much to type, or if you just want to chat about that day, let me know, I will be glad to PM you and give you a phone number. Great to locate someone else that was there that day.
    Information! We want more, please.
    I might have photos from that day, i'd have to take a long look for them to see. The sky spy john wagner did regularly drive an 82 dominator, a red one, and it was there that day. i remember talking to him and jackie stewart near the car. I don't know if john owned that car, or if summit ford let him drive it for part of his "pay" for doing advertising on the radio, to promote the dominators. I'll have to find that poster jackie signed and post it. also i have original dominator stickers, 2 i think,charcoal metalic grey, that were never used.

Quote Originally Posted by jims gt View Post
    I might have photos from that day, i'd have to take a long look for them to see. The sky spy john wagner did regularly drive an 82 dominator, a red one, and it was there that day. i remember talking to him and jackie stewart near the car. I don't know if john owned that car, or if summit ford let him drive it for part of his "pay" for doing advertising on the radio, to promote the dominators. I'll have to find that poster jackie signed and post it. also i have original dominator stickers, 2 i think,charcoal metalic grey, that were never used.
    Wow! Thanks for posting up! Going to PM you my phone number. I would love to hear more about what you may have!
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast