Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    FEP Senior Member

great looking car, where did you find the rear deck lights?
    1986 Saleen #26 - Saugus Pace Car
    1988 Range Rover Classic - The Shop Truck

AHH that car is sexy man....Very nice..

holy cow, that is a beautiful car and it has come a long ways since the last time you posted it on here. that is one beautiful car and I wish the police departments would go back to stangs like the old times. that would be sweet to see stangs across the U S chasing like they used to.
    "Never Trust a Bunny!"

The Great Sir Twitch

MERCURYS is what I'm bout. MERCURY CrAzY

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by thecrimsoncat View Post
    great looking car, where did you find the rear deck lights?
    I rec'd a referral to a guy in Sacramento who sells obsolete CHP equipment to restorers. If you need anything, shoot me a PM and I'll give you his contact info.
    Bill Jr.

FEP Member

As an update, my SSP hasn't been running right this year. The car had carb issues, but a new Holley failed to fix the bad idling problem (the car would not smooth out). I decided to have the car looked at by my nephew, Kris, who owns a custom (repair) shop and is VERY familiar with 5.0L Fox Mustangs. He came by on Halloween and picked up the car on his flatbed.

So Kris checked the car out, and determined that the harmonic balancer was about to separate from the crank. It looks as though the off-balance balancer took it's toll on the bottom-end, because the crank now has excessive play. In addition, my oil pressure at speed is only 30psi, and at idle it's around 10psi. Compression ranges from 110-160. So it looks as though the tired old 5.0L is worn out.

Since I am trying to finish up other projects, I had Kris yank the engine. Here's a picture he sent me last night -

Since I am the 8th owner of the car, I'm not sure if it's the original motor or not. Hopefully the block (if it's original) isn't already .030-over. If the block is shot, then I need to decide how to proceed with the engine.

Now that the motor is out, the car should be coming back later today so that I can detail the engine compartment. The under-hood area was in dire need of attention, so I'll use this unplanned event to spruce things up. I will need some guidance from y'all in terms of correct finishes for certain items, as I'd like to make the engine bay as close to factory fresh as possible.
    Last edited by 28HopUp; 01-08-2012 at 03:55 PM.
    Bill Jr.

VIN can be found on the block, that way it can tell you if the engine is original.

FEP Member

I haven't had a chance to get over to Kris's shop to look for the VIN. He brought the car back last night, and it's now tucked back inside our modest 2-car garage. Here's a shot of the mess under the hood -

The battery tray area has some rust, but I'm hoping it's limited to just the surface. There's a BUNCH of work to do in there while the motor is out. I'll use a better camera ongoing to take pictures along the way.
    Bill Jr.

FEP Member

The motor is/was a stock, tired '93 5.0L, with the original (most likely) '85 intake and oil pan. I'd post up what we're thinking now in terms of engine options, but it's constantly changing as available parts are located. But I may be back in business fairly soon.
    Bill Jr.

FEP Senior Member

I used to own a commercial enforcement CHP 85 mustang. It was light silver-blue with grey interior. It was an AOD with the CFI injection. Had the hole for the whip antenna crudely filled from the back in the driver side quarter. Silver ten holes. SSP speedo and floor reinforcements. It had crudely filled in A-pillar spot holes on the driver side. The roof was a slicktop model with no lightbar.

I yanked the buck tag since it said SSP-CHIPS on it. I think the tag had info on bonding straps and possibly something about the door bumpers on it. It was not a 'CHP special paint white doors and roof' build so I know it came with the silver blue paint as factory. Inside the trunk was blue and the floors were blue, no doubt factory.

I sold it to a buddy who converted it to 86 and later efi with a 5 gear trans. When my buddy sold the car the new buyer wanted the buck tag back, so I did the right thing and sent the tag to the new owner.

Just one of the many SSP's I've owned over the years I never should have sold. Live and learn I guess.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BaconB8 View Post
    I used to own a commercial enforcement CHP 85 mustang. It was light silver-blue with grey interior. It was an AOD with the CFI injection. Had the hole for the whip antenna crudely filled from the back in the driver side quarter. Silver ten holes. SSP speedo and floor reinforcements. It had crudely filled in A-pillar spot holes on the driver side. The roof was a slicktop model with no lightbar.

I yanked the buck tag since it said SSP-CHIPS on it. I think the tag had info on bonding straps and possibly something about the door bumpers on it. It was not a 'CHP special paint white doors and roof' build so I know it came with the silver blue paint as factory. Inside the trunk was blue and the floors were blue, no doubt factory.

I sold it to a buddy who converted it to 86 and later efi with a 5 gear trans. When my buddy sold the car the new buyer wanted the buck tag back, so I did the right thing and sent the tag to the new owner.

Just one of the many SSP's I've owned over the years I never should have sold. Live and learn I guess.
    Do you have pics of the car or any other paperwork that documents this? We have documentation directly from the CHP that shows the SMPVs were black and white cars that were repainted and used for the program. Never heard of any that were autos or non-special paint cars.
    Mike
    '82 SSP
    '83 Colorado State Patrol SSP
    '83 Texas DPS SSP
    '85 Florida Highway Patrol SSP

www.SpecialServiceMustang.net

FEP Member

I agree with Mike, that would be interesting to learn some new info if you have some documentation or photos. Any chance you have an old email with the newest owner's name & address?

In terms of my SSP, we found a freshly rebuilt 5.0L with .030-over pistons, ported E7 heads, and a Comp Cams 266HR bumpstick. It was rebuilt to be a mild upgrade over a stock fuel injected motor. Kris will clean up my stock 85 intake and valve covers, and install a new water pump. Although I might have gone a little more to the wild side in terms of having a motor rebuilt, this one is ready to go. It will be a mild step up in performance but will still be reliable, have a smooth stock-sounding idle, and be fun to drive. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I got a SMOKIN' deal on the motor, too!

I will tie into the engine compartment this weekend, but it's not going to be a simple undertaking. There's some surface rust under the battery tray, and a lot of clutter from the 7 previous owners that needs to come out.
    Last edited by 28HopUp; 11-08-2011 at 01:26 PM.
    Bill Jr.

So how did the name of "bacon" come about for your 85?
    I always like seeing pics of your car I hadn't seen before
    -Sam
    1982 Mustang GL two hatchbacks, 3.3l and 5.0l
    1983 Capri RS Black Magic Ttop
    1984 Capri RS Sunroof
    1984 Mustang GT 'Vert
    1985 Mustang LX SSP CHP 8337
    1985 Mustang LX SSP CHP 8362
    1985 Mustang LX 3.8l 'Vert

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Kid View Post
    So how did the name of "bacon" come about for your 85?
    I always like seeing pics of your car I hadn't seen before
    Bacon is one of my favorite foods. In addition, it's a reference to the car being a former police vehicle, where no disrespect is intended to any LEO's. We don't name all of our cars, but sometimes a name feels appropriate. I once bought a used white 98 Mustang convertible right about the time we needed a new refridgerator. I told my wife that the car was our new Maytag, and the name "Maytag" stuck with the car.
    Last edited by 28HopUp; 11-11-2011 at 08:50 AM.
    Bill Jr.

FEP Senior Member

Sorry guys, been working the last few days.....

I know my buddy who I sold it to has some pics, I may have to scan a few since when the car was in my possession it was the 'film' era. No digital cameras back then. I'll link this thread for my buddy to chime in, he probably has a username here.

The car was sold to some racers in the San Diego area before they tore down the track in Carlsbad.

I hope the car wasn't something historical in nature. It was 100 percent a CHP/SSP in silver blue. No doubt about it.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

FEP Senior Member

Here's a pic of my SSP.....

85 Saleen Mustang(s)

FEP Senior Member

And here's the plate......

85 Saleen Mustang(s)

FEP Senior Member

Found 1 pic, from Famoso in Bakersfield, dated 2003. I'll see if I can scan it for posting. Emailed my buddy to chime in if he has any pics or info on the guys he sold it to.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

I did buy that car from BaconB8. At the time, I wasn't super focused on it being an SSP car since I just wanted a notch to build, and that jackass BaconB8 had kept the damn dog tag anyway ;-P

But I did find the build sheet and it showed the floor bracing and other items. I actually don't remember holes for lights in the A-pillars. I don't remember checking for a paint code or even thinking the car & color might be unusual. The color did seem original as it was under the hood, under the carpet, in the trans tunnel, etc. And the car was definitely an AOD with CFI. Mechanically, it was in dire need of a full rebuild, but I did drive it from Santa Maria to San Diego County. I sold the car in about 2004 to a couple guys who worked for JBA in San Diego. I may have a few additional pics but I sent one to BaconB8 earlier tonight. It's very grainy and doesn't prove much, but maybe he can post it up.

I had to start a new account since I haven't been on here in years. Good stuff tho. I always liked the 4 eyed notches, and hopefully can build another one soon. I have a really nice 351w shortblock sitting here that needs to be put to good use, LOL.

The CHP did have unmarked mustangs. My dad remembers an all white one was stolen from the CHP and recovered minus the engine/trans and the Radio system. Your old car could have been one of those unmarked CHPs.
    -Sam
    1982 Mustang GL two hatchbacks, 3.3l and 5.0l
    1983 Capri RS Black Magic Ttop
    1984 Capri RS Sunroof
    1984 Mustang GT 'Vert
    1985 Mustang LX SSP CHP 8337
    1985 Mustang LX SSP CHP 8362
    1985 Mustang LX 3.8l 'Vert

FEP Member

Thanks for chiming in guys on that other car. Is there any chance that you can locate the VIN for this special paint SSP? Anything you find would be helpful. Presently, no CHP Mustangs have been found with the automatic transmission, so yes, that would be a rare car if it could be verified.
    Bill Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Kid View Post
    The CHP did have unmarked mustangs. My dad remembers an all white one was stolen from the CHP and recovered minus the engine/trans and the Radio system. Your old car could have been one of those unmarked CHPs.
    How big of brass ones must you have to STEAL a police car?
    1981 Durango (ends my 18 year drought of not owning a F/Z)

FEP Member

Making progress, albeit slowly.

I will button up some incidentals, and then get the car over to the shop for the fresh 5.0L. Stay tuned!
    Bill Jr.

FEP Member

Jack & I finished up the few remaining items under the hood, and Kris came by yesterday afternoon to pick up the car -

Kris will install the fresh 5.0L in the next week or so.
    Last edited by 28HopUp; 12-23-2011 at 09:11 AM.
    Bill Jr.

FEP Member

A somewhat serious issue was found regarding the wiring under the hood. Many wires have become exposed because the insulation has dried, cracked, and come off. This picture shows the wires going into the voltage regulator -

This plug is on the driver's side, which shows the bare wires -

This one is UGLY, and shows the main harness plug by the driver's side shock tower -

Heat shrink is good stuff for repairing the original wiring, were possible. But the wires in some cases are so baked that heat shrink will not work. For those instances, Kris will be harvesting the correct color wires from a newer 5.0L Mustang harness to repair the damaged wires. It's a very tedious job!

Here is a shot of the engine bay taken yesterday -

Once the wiring issues are addressed, Kris will have to replace the needed vacuum lines/parts that have deteriorated. Then he'll button up the final engine assembly.
    Bill Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
    Fresh from the body shop (ie not even washed yet!) -

Now it's time to crunch through my To-Do List! First up - remove the crummy rear tint without destroying the rear defroster. Then I'll move onto the CHP rear deck lights and both a-pillar spotlights.
    Very nice, looks like a bear in a black rapper to me!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast