Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    FEP Member

Smile 85 SSP Mustang - CHP #E408395

A few months ago I picked up an 85 SSP Mustang. It was owned by the gym teacher at my son's school. He bought it in 1999 from his brother in LA, and brought it back to Delaware.

Here's an interior shot. It was repainted "Toyota Gray" by the CHP prior to auction. The car is only mildly modified. It has carb-legal JBA shorties, dual Flowmasters, Centerforce clutch, Hurst shifter, 87-up front disc brakes, rear disk brakes (most likely for a 93 Cobra), KYB shocks, and lowering springs. I sandblsted and painted the 10-holes satin black, and installed 255/60R15 BFG's out back. In-hand are some interior fix-ups from FMR, which I'll install this winter. Here's a recent shot of it prior to mounting the BFG's -

I joined two SSP forums, and started learning all that I could about them. I found something interesting about my car. My car MAY be a SMPV (Specially Marked Patrol Vehicle). In the late 1980's, the CHP took an estimated 25-50 of their marked black & white 1985 Mustangs and repainted them different colors to be used as Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Unit. There were SMPV versions of both Mustangs and regular sedans in the later '80s. The first batch of Mustangs were '85s and besides the unique paint jobs, they also featured many custom touches:

* smaller, body color 5" spots
    * low profile deck lighting
    * custom, lay down shotgun rack
    * single Sti-Co undercover antenna

A second batch was produced using '89 models and they were similarily painted and equipped as the '85s with the exception that the outside spots were deleted and replaced with a single red halogen mirror light (first install in a Mustang) and a hand-held mag-mount clear spot that was kept inside the car. Paint colors mentioned as used or observed for both the '85s and the '89s include blue, maroon, silver, gold (or copper) and white. So far, not one confirmed survivor of any year has been located by anyone in the hobby.

By scraping away in certain places on my car, I found silver paint under the topcoat on the roof and body, but there's no silver on the doors - just white under the topcoat (well, it's black under the white on the doors). I am trying to get a copy of my car's assignment card from thew CHP, which would verify its use as a SMPV. The assignment card MAY be lost forever, in which case my car will be an unverified SMPV, with the best evidence of its past being the layered paint. So, I won't be repainting the car any time soon.
    Last edited by 28HopUp; 12-12-2008 at 08:47 AM.
    Bill Jr.

very cool! I like it a lot!

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

Me too
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Sweet I love 85-86 SSPs.
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5
    85 GT 1C Vert = Grey int. no power options but A/C.
    85 GT 2R Hatch = "Pepper"ALL original sunroof car grey int.,full scale restoration coming one day
    85 GT 2A Hatch = tan int. 2.5" full exhaust, frame connectors, AutoMeter Pro Comp gauges, 5-Lug w/17" Bullitts, converted to FI, 8.8 w/3.55s etc.
    85 GT 1C Hatch = Dads new toy ALL ORIGINAL
    85 GS/RS 4D Hatch = My first capri
    73 Mach 1 - 351 2bbl Auto Yellow w/Tan interior

FEP Member

I got a FAX copy of my car's assignment car -

http://www.erols.com/hopup/chpcard1.jpg
    http://www.erols.com/hopup/chpcard2.jpg

Two important things were learned from the card:
    1) The VIN listed proves that my car was CHP E408395.
    2) My car was NOT a SMPV.

I'm very excited to get a copy of my card, and not in the least disappointed that it was a regular black & white CHP Mustang - 1 of 155 that year. Now I can repaint the thing and not worry about affecting the car's value.
    Bill Jr.

FEP Member

Cool car either way.
    84' LX LTD
    70' SCJ Convertible Torino

Man that's a great piece of history to have there. So how is it going to get restored? Back to in-service colors, all black, or left alone for now?
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black
    '85 Dominator GT - Black, 24k miles
    '85 Predator GT302R #150R - Light Regatta Blue
    '85 Predator GT302 Convertible #119 - White w/blue stripes For Sale
    '86 Texas DPS Mustang (Unit # unknown) - undergoing resto

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by 02Z06 View Post
    Man that's a great piece of history to have there. So how is it going to get restored? Back to in-service colors, all black, or left alone for now?
    I really don't like the idea of restoring it to full in-service condition, mainly because I want to be able to drive the car on the street without having to cover up everything to make it legal. Right now, the plan is to repaint it back to the original Ford all-black color, like an unmarked police car. I am trying to get original CHP rear deck lights and a-pillar spot lights. I have the CHP roof top antenna, and will install the 66" (+/-) rear whip antenna that mounts on the driver's side rear quarter panel. It will probably go into the body shop before the end of the month.
    Last edited by 28HopUp; 06-08-2009 at 09:02 PM.
    Bill Jr.

Hey Bill Sorry to hear its not a SMPV But its still an Awesome 4 Eye! Glad to see you made it over here from the Collective. Like the Collective for 4.0 Gurus! FEP is the place for Four Eyes! Keep us updated on your progress with this car!
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

Nice find!
    911 NEVER FORGET!!
    MILStang

FEP Member

Here's a recent shot of my SSP in the body shop -

Sidewayz6.0 is a Site Moderator at Mustang Forums, and he posted that my SSP looks alot like another famous police car -

We Got a Full Tank of Gas, a Half a Pack of Cigarettes, It's Dark and We're Wearing Sun Glasses
    Bill Jr.

thats a beauty. i would love to have those rims and tires for my ltd lx. love those rims

FEP Member

Here's a pic I took with my camera phone today at the body shop -

So Bacon is coming along. The rest of the body panels should be shot in black over the next couple of days, and then it'll be in for final assembly.
    Bill Jr.

FEP Member

Fresh from the body shop (ie not even washed yet!) -

Now it's time to crunch through my To-Do List! First up - remove the crummy rear tint without destroying the rear defroster. Then I'll move onto the CHP rear deck lights and both a-pillar spotlights.
    Last edited by 28HopUp; 06-28-2009 at 05:26 AM.
    Bill Jr.

Sweet looks good. One thing though why did you paint the trim black (or did the SSPs come like that I can't remember.
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5
    85 GT 1C Vert = Grey int. no power options but A/C.
    85 GT 2R Hatch = "Pepper"ALL original sunroof car grey int.,full scale restoration coming one day
    85 GT 2A Hatch = tan int. 2.5" full exhaust, frame connectors, AutoMeter Pro Comp gauges, 5-Lug w/17" Bullitts, converted to FI, 8.8 w/3.55s etc.
    85 GT 1C Hatch = Dads new toy ALL ORIGINAL
    85 GS/RS 4D Hatch = My first capri
    73 Mach 1 - 351 2bbl Auto Yellow w/Tan interior

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by 85 GT Kid View Post
    Sweet looks good. One thing though why did you paint the trim black (or did the SSPs come like that I can't remember.
    Here are some better pictures of the car with the CHP equipment installed -

The side moldings are a matte black color, but it's not the correct 85 color (which is more charcoal). The color I used is correct for an 83 Mustang, which looks better IMO on a black car.
    Last edited by 28HopUp; 07-03-2009 at 12:41 PM.
    Bill Jr.

Car looks great!
    " We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

FEP Super Member

That is awesome, the car looks just great!
    Former Foxes:
    1983 Fairmont Futura 4dr
    1986 Mustang LX 2.3 4 speed
    1985 Mustang GT
    1985 GT - 357w, T5, 8.8 w/ 4.10's.
    Best ET 13.5639, Best Mph 102.39
    1988 LX 5.0 AOD notch, bone stock no options except A/C
    1980 Mercury Capri RS Turbo, 50k mile survivor.
    1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe....ratty but fun.
    1992 Mustang GT convertible 85k from original owner

Very VERY cool !
    ~Scott~

1985 Mustang GT
    Medium Canyon Red Metallic Exterior ~ Sand Beige / Buckskin Interior

Very Nice...big SSP fan here.

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scoutdrivinrebel View Post
    Very Nice...big SSP fan here.
    X2!

One note: I have a frend out here whom happened to own a '90 SSP silver coupe. It had the typical dash plugs, roof plug, & trunk plugs, etcetera. Unfortunately, it burned to the ground more than a year ago.....
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

very nice SSP, i like it

FEP Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the kind words. Here's another shot for all you picture whores, taken along the Delaware River

I'm installing much of the interior this week. Progress will be quick, because I cannot drive it without seats, and I love driving it!
    Last edited by 28HopUp; 07-08-2009 at 09:49 AM.
    Bill Jr.

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

(1) Yes we are pic whores!
    (2) Thank you for posting!
    (3) Will the spotlights get you into any kind of trouble while driving down the street?
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by anthonydalrymple View Post
    Will the spotlights get you into any kind of trouble while driving down the street?

The red one will! In Delaware, a private vehicle is prohibited from having a red light that can be seen from the front of the vehicle (done to prevent imposters from pulling people over). The language is vague about whether it matters if the light is functional or not. I am playing it safe and leaving the driver's side "Ruby" red spotlight non-functional. While driving, I keep all of the CHP lights covered with these -

I used the acetone and a rag to remove the KC logos.
    Bill Jr.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast