Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by 83-88T-Bird Guy View Post
    What is your opinion?

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the TRX wheels were never really all that great looking from the factory with the exception of the '82 Mustang GT. They look really good on one of those.

Due to having no affordable tires available for them for so many years the popularity of TRX wheels has waned considerably. I doubt very seriously if many people would purchase aftermarket lookalikes of a stock wheel that wasn't beautiful to begin with. I'm trying to be realistic here and not negative but I don't see a lot of positive in remaking TRX wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    Those 295's might "fit" that 7" wide wheel, and might "ride" ok, but they are technically too wide for that wheel and would not handle all that hot. I hate feeling my tires "squirm" around as I try and get the car set into a corner.

Those tires were never designed to "handle".

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    That would be my choice too. I always liked the looks of them on the cars, but I'm not going to give up my brakes for then either.
    +1 Since i've gone 5-lug my car actually stops really well. If they had a 17X8 "restomod" style wheel I would consider it.
    '83 Hatch - PBR Front/GT rear disc, Steeda Sport Springs, Tokico Blues, MM CC plates, 87+ sway bars

Quote Originally Posted by slow84lx View Post
    My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the TRX wheels were never really all that great looking from the factory with the exception of the '82 Mustang GT. They look really good on one of those.

Due to having no affordable tires available for them for so many years the popularity of TRX wheels has waned considerably. I doubt very seriously if many people would purchase aftermarket lookalikes of a stock wheel that wasn't beautiful to begin with. I'm trying to be realistic here and not negative but I don't see a lot of positive in remaking TRX wheels.
    If they were made into 15" 16" or 17" they would be worth it.

Is it just me, or is there some sort of resemblance in the overall style of these 2 Mustang wheels ?.....hmmmm

Nottingham, PA now...from Perryville, MD...From Levittown, PA

This may be a dumb question. In Europe and the rest of the world that uses that metric system (dividing by 12 is so much easier than dividing by 10) are the tires metric or our standard unit of measure? Can't someone just ship over a pallet of tires and resell them locally?
    My name is Andrew
    1986 GT Convertible- 2nd owner
    1984 SVO-Impound Yard find

Metric TRX tires are no longer used neither in Europe nor anywhere else in the world.
    However a few years ago, Michelin created a new kind of metric tires ... for their run-on-flat line ... but of course those are not compatible with TRX rims
    '79 Pace Car 5.0 (well 4.2 until better days)
    '80 Capri 2.3 (sold ) - '79 Hatchback 2.3 (sold ) - '80 Notchback 3.3 (junk yard )

Default I agree +1 styling would make the car look better

I emailed several wheel manufactures this weekend, but still waiting on reply's. The idea of turning down the TRX wheel is not going to fly. Due to the liability risk, however the idea of removing the TRX center, and welding them into a 17" rim sounds like a great solution. Perhaps, we should look into this, further. There is one machine shop here in Chattanooga, that has the capability to turn custom wheels. They can machine a 16" clone of the trx wheel. I have somebody checking on a price to do this. I found several wheel shops, but none were able to turn custom wheels... I never checked about having the TRX centers removed and welded in 16" rims. So, I need to re-email some of these wheels shops.
    I personally am not interested in 15" trx wheels. The 15" wheel / tires look to dated, the larger wheels make the car look more aggressive and modern. If you like the looks of a stock trx wheel / tire, just give Coker $$$$ and buy a set of factory correct michelins. I've seen pace cars with 17" cobra R's.... they look killer.

16x8
    1990 SuperCoupe 300hp
    19841/2 1E Mustang GT con&%@$able (bone stock)
    1958 Chrysler "Hemi" 2 door hard top w/ 392 Hemi 10:1, 2x4 crossram intake, '55 ported/polished heads; I 2.00/E 1.75 (restoration project)
    1931 Model A 5 window coupe ("Hemi" hotrod project)
    8 3/4 rearend.

I agree, 16x8 with 5" backspacing, is the size that will sell the most.

Anything happening about the remake of trx-wheels?
    1979 cobra 331+ t5+ 8.8" 354hp/492nm torq
    1981 t-top "sold"
    1976 gran torino 400 +c6 "sold"
    www.ford-freak.org

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123