Close

FEP Member

Default '83 GT Distributor and coil wiring harness

The '83 GT I picked up is missing the distributor and coil wiring harness. I assume this is one harness? The distributor has a 3-pronged plug on it and there is one open plug in my harness up near the power brake booster which I assume plugs into this harness.

I was wondering which vehicles I might find this harness in a junkyard. I know this is old stuff now, so my chances of finding an '83 GT in the junkyard is pretty slim. I did a search on the forum, but I didn't find this answer.

I did post on the parts wanted section.

Thanks everyone!
    '84 GT convertible, Oxford white, CFI to carb swap, AOD
    '83 GT, T-tops, Bright Red, 65K original miles, 2nd owner; '85 roller cam engine; 8.8 w/3.55s; ROH ZR-6's
    '88 LX 5.0 Notchback, 55K miles, 3.27's, Mach 1 suspension, 5 lug conversion; Saleen ARE 229 wheels; Flofit seats; Vortech S Trim, 42# injectors
    '89 Saleen clone, 3.55's, SN95 rear discs, SVO front discs, 9L white, ARE 229 5 spoke wheels, complete Flofit interior and Saleen gauges; Maximum Motorsports Panhard Bar;

Quote Originally Posted by 5ohFFR View Post
    The distributor has a 3-pronged plug on it and there is one open plug in my harness up near the power brake booster which I assume plugs into this harness.
    Nope. It is not one harness. The plug of the distributor goes into the Duraspark II ignition box that is mounted next to the windshield washer and coolant reservoir tank. You should have two plugs on that box.
    Last edited by Puter; 11-19-2008 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Cuz eye kant spel
    85 GT convertible

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Puter View Post
    Nope. It is not one harness. The plug of the distributor goes into the Duraspark II ignition box that is mounted next to the windshield washer and coolant reservoir tank. You should have two plugs on that box.
    Puter,

I looked at it better last night. The box has a blue plug on the bottom of the harness where it goes into the Duraspark box. There are two plugs out of it, one has the three prong end that matches the distributor, the other end has a four prong plug with a matching end off the harness that will plug into it.

Up near my brake booster I have an open 2 prong plug which must be for the coil?

I've downloaded the wiring harness schematics and will have to look at them more closely. I would think I can just make a harness using replacement ends for the distributor as long as I have the wires in the correct spot. I'm not so sure about the coil....
    '83 GT, T-tops, Bright Red, 65K original miles, 2nd owner; '85 roller cam engine; 8.8 w/3.55s; ROH ZR-6's
    '88 LX 5.0 Notchback, 55K miles, 3.27's, Mach 1 suspension, 5 lug conversion; Saleen ARE 229 wheels; Flofit seats; Vortech S Trim, 42# injectors
    '89 Saleen clone, 3.55's, SN95 rear discs, SVO front discs, 9L white, ARE 229 5 spoke wheels, complete Flofit interior and Saleen gauges; Maximum Motorsports Panhard Bar;

Quote Originally Posted by 5ohFFR View Post
    Up near my brake booster I have an open 2 prong plug which must be for the coil?
    Nope.. I think that is for some added thingamajig that did not come on your car. The coil has two wires to a horseshoe connector. I believe that they should be black and green. They should be coming out of the same harness there at the ignition box.
    85 GT convertible

The coil is mounted on the passenger-side of the intake manifold, between the valve cover and the carburetor.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Puter View Post
    Nope.. I think that is for some added thingamajig that did not come on your car. The coil has two wires to a horseshoe connector. I believe that they should be black and green. They should be coming out of the same harness there at the ignition box.
    I'm missing that too then. The '85 engine I bought looked like a junkyard pull (you know, cut wires, sawzall removal ha ha) and it had the coil on the intake with the horseshoe connector, but the wires were cut. I also have part of the harness that went to the distributor.

I have a 83 Capri RS and I know exactly what you are taking about. Your harness is missing for sure. Check out our buddy "Matt" at Fox Mustang Restoration. He has a listing for a new harness BUT it's listed for a 84 Model year,but the picture will show you what you are missing,I don't know the difference from 83 to 84 but the picture on Matt's site looks like my 83? You would have to call Matt to know forsure. The two wire plug by your brake booster, is it oval in shape? If it is,it plugs into a WOT switch mounted on the drivers side strut tower,(Wide.Open.Throttle)in case you where wondering. I'm sure if you found a mid size LTD in the wrecking yard the harness might work.If not you could make a harness with a diagram. NAPA sells the replacement harness ends for the module connectors which should work at the distributor plug as well,they have a three and four terminal available.Check the NAPA web site, I seen them there a while back. Good-luck I hope this helps alittle
    Last edited by 83 V8 RS T's; 11-20-2008 at 07:26 PM.
    Cheers...Bob (83 V8 RS T's)

My foureyed cars of the past:
    86 Mustang Cobra GT I miss this one!
    81 Mustang 3.3L I-6 Hatchback

The one I'll never sell:
    83 Capri RS 5.0L T-top

The one I'll never sell:
    83 Capri RS 5.0L T-top

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by 83 V8 RS T's View Post
    That is exactly what I am missing . I didn't think it was that many pieces, but I'm down in the garage now and sure enough, I'm missing the oil pressure sender wire and a/c connection too. Looks like I'm going to have to go junkyarding, $369 is ruining my goal for this car. I really want the car to be running for only $3,500. It is just some dumb goal I have.

Good luck in the junk yard,I hope you can find something. I wonder if any FORD V8 harness from those years could be modified some how? I guess the real problem would matching colors of the wires. Trucks and cars would have simular connectors but color coded wiring I think is different. Did you try E-bay for the heck of it?

The one I'll never sell:
    83 Capri RS 5.0L T-top