Close

Default Altenator Charging Issue

I think my voltage regulator is bad. I have a PA performace 130A altenator that is approx 6 yrs old. All my exterior/interior lights flicker whenever they are in use. My volt meter gauge bounces anywhere from 14-18V when its running.
    Is there anyway to fix this without buying a new Altenator? If so how hard is it to rebuild one? I have never done it. I just hate to spend big bucks on a new one since I will be getting a nice shiney new one if I have to.
    " We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Thats's Awesome!!!

I need to get the number off the regulator and order just that and try and fix it myself.
    " We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

FEP Super Member

may be a bad ground .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Definitely. First step is to check connections then have the alt tested at autozone or wherever.

-Mike

My '82 is REALLY sensitive to being properly grounded. Make sure that ALL connections are tight and free of corrosion. When in doubt, make a quality replacement or permenant repair. Ghetto-fab will only frustrate in the future ... not like I've done anything like that before ...
    -Bill
    "Beater" ('82 Capri No Eng/NoTrans)
    Wife's Project Car ('83 Vert Stang GLX No Eng/NoTrans)
    "Cinco" ('88 Hatch Stang LX 5.0L/Manual)
    "Bertha" ('92 Hatch Stang LX 2.3L/Manual)
    '13 Ford Flex Platinum (Hers)
    Husband & father of 3 girls

Since it's over-voltage, according to my book it's either the voltage regulator, a bad regulator ground, a short to ground in the field coil control circuit causing the alternator to full field or high resistance in the "sensing" circuit between the battery and the regulator. Hope that gives you some ideas.
    1979 Base Model Coupe- 351w, C4, 3.73s, the fun machine- Now getting a lot more well deserved mileage put on her!
    2007 Forest River Sunseeker 2200 Class C motorhome on an E-450 chassis. Oh yeah!
    2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV Premium- Marine Blue w/ 5-speed, awesome little car.

Quote Originally Posted by SRM351 View Post
    Since it's over-voltage, according to my book it's either the voltage regulator, a bad regulator ground, a short to ground in the field coil control circuit causing the alternator to full field or high resistance in the "sensing" circuit between the battery and the regulator. Hope that gives you some ideas.

I don't know what all of that is

I checked my voltage at the battery and its charging 14V I removed my altenator and checked my connections going into it,they all seemed good. I haven't checked my grounds yet. Do I need to check all grounds or just the one the altenator is grounded to?

Just the ones the alternator is grounded to. If those are good, I'd say it's safe to say the regulator is dying.
    1979 Base Model Coupe- 351w, C4, 3.73s, the fun machine- Now getting a lot more well deserved mileage put on her!
    2007 Forest River Sunseeker 2200 Class C motorhome on an E-450 chassis. Oh yeah!
    2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV Premium- Marine Blue w/ 5-speed, awesome little car.

It was the dimmer switch. The only thing now is that I only had a newer style laying around so I can't dim my interior lights. They are either on or off. It's a hell of a lot better than flickering!

Thanks for all the input!