Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1981 T-Top RHD project

Went round to my friends house where I am storing the car & had a little play today. Started to sort out inside and placed the dash in position to see how it will look. The interior has quite a bit of black mould/mildew especially the seats, took one out last weekend and it cleaned up well. Will do the same with the other seat this week.

More photos here:
    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/79pace/Mustangs/

Steve
    Steve B
    1979 Pace Car 2.3 Turbo
    1989 GT 5.0 Auto
    1981 T-Top 2.3 RHD (Half share)
    1979 Pace Car 5.0 Auto (Half share)
    1980 Cobra

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2520872

is that ever strange looking at that wheel on the passenger side.
    in newfoundland their going to do it like in England and drive cars on the other side of the road. If it works out, the next year their gonna try trucks and buses.
    1988gt hiding in a 90lx
    1985 capri gs 5.0-
    3 88lx parts cars
    89gt parts car
    [U]2 95intrepid-1parts,1daily driver
    www.mustangcanada.com

Quote Originally Posted by peicaprilover View Post
    in newfoundland their going to do it like in England and drive cars on the other side of the road. If it works out, the next year their gonna try trucks and buses.
    they're doing that over here too. Ther biggest problem I see will be the truckers form Saskatchewan. Something to do with them being land locked and having to build a bridge to get there.

Wasn't realy paying attention to the artical in the paper.....
    82 Capri RS, 5.8L, solid drop mounts, areomotive fuel system, 3" exhaust, ROD six speed, MM torque arm suspension, "mathis" 90 k-member, 04 cobra control arms, h&r springs, koni shocks, m-2300-k, caged, battery relocate

Blog Entries

Parts of Canada are going to switch to the other side of the road??? Really? Why?

Steve, if you'd like to document your car on the main site, let me know, and I can set you up with an account to do so. Either way, thanks for sharing pics, this is going to be fascinating!

Quote Originally Posted by evlgt85 View Post
    Parts of Canada are going to switch to the other side of the road??? Really? Why?
    it helps to weed out the gullable and/or illiterate. Anyone caught on the wrong side of the road in canada is deported to toronto...
    Last edited by Mad Max; 10-06-2008 at 12:30 AM.
    82 Capri RS, 5.8L, solid drop mounts, areomotive fuel system, 3" exhaust, ROD six speed, MM torque arm suspension, "mathis" 90 k-member, 04 cobra control arms, h&r springs, koni shocks, m-2300-k, caged, battery relocate

Steve, if you'd like to document your car on the main site, let me know, and I can set you up with an account to do so. Either way, thanks for sharing pics, this is going to be fascinating!

read my post more carefully. I'm hoping you will get it. especially after the part "if it works out" . lmao
    1988gt hiding in a 90lx
    1985 capri gs 5.0-
    3 88lx parts cars
    89gt parts car
    [U]2 95intrepid-1parts,1daily driver
    www.mustangcanada.com

Nottingham, PA now...from Perryville, MD...From Levittown, PA

silly question, but is the shift pattern the same in these cars or is it reversed with higher gears being further away from your leg than lower gears?
    My name is Andrew
    1986 GT Convertible- 2nd owner
    1984 SVO-Impound Yard find

Quote Originally Posted by peicaprilover View Post
    is that ever strange looking at that wheel on the passenger side.
    You made my day.

i saw a report that stated the reason for the change was because 65% of the roads went uphill and swapping sides would reverse that,resulting in a 35% increase of fuel mileage. they're also suspending issuing any new driver's licenses for the next three years so nobody will be confused. studies have shown that after three years,new drivers would blend in well with surviving existing drivers.
    Last edited by fred414141; 10-07-2008 at 12:03 PM.
    '83 glx vert with '82 gt frontend

if you aren't trying to blow the horn with the signal lever and reaching for the key release button on your other vehicles,you're not driving the fox enough !

Quote Originally Posted by fred414141 View Post
    they're also suspending issuing any new driver's licenses for the next three years so nobody will be confused. studies have shown that after three years,new drivers would blend in well with surviving existing drivers.
    LOL
    That's not far off from our 2 year "graduated licence" program we have now. First six months you get and "L" (learner, or looser etc...)then you have to do a road test to get a "N"(new, or nerd, bla bla bla) . You have the N for up to 2 years untill you get another test for your full licence.

Quote Originally Posted by fred414141 View Post
    i saw a report that stated the reason for the change was because 65% of the roads went uphill and swapping sides would reverse that,resulting in a 35% increase of fuel mileage. they're also suspending issuing any new driver's licenses for the next three years so nobody will be confused. studies have shown that after three years,new drivers would blend in well with surviving existing drivers.
    Maybe I'm missing something but how does that change the hills or milage in the roads. Would you not be going to the same route to the same destination just on the other side of the road? Or maybe I'm just slow or missing somthing? DEE Dee dee
    Last edited by BIITodd; 10-08-2008 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BIITodd View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something but how does that change the hills or milage in the roads. Would you not be going to the same route to the same destination just on the other side of the road? Or maybe I'm just slow or missing somthing? DEE Dee dee
    Definitly missing something.....

That was the point. J/k guess it came out wrong.

...........WHEEEEEEEE ! ! ! ! ! !
    '83 glx vert with '82 gt frontend

if you aren't trying to blow the horn with the signal lever and reaching for the key release button on your other vehicles,you're not driving the fox enough !

Hi Skye

That sounds like a great idea, I would love to document the car on the main site.

This car is definately going to be a big learning curve for Don & myself as we are so used to working on LHD stangs!! I think that we have all the parts to complete the car (in various boxes), but it's going to be like doing a jigsaw puzzle when you don't know what the picture is!! I think that I'd better put a swearbox in the garage LOL

Steve
    Steve B
    1979 Pace Car 2.3 Turbo
    1989 GT 5.0 Auto
    1980 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by stableboy View Post
    silly question, but is the shift pattern the same in these cars or is it reversed with higher gears being further away from your leg than lower gears?
    Hello mate, good question! Yes the shift pattern is the same

Regards

Steve
    Steve B
    1979 Pace Car 2.3 Turbo
    1989 GT 5.0 Auto
    1980 Cobra

seems they have their own way of doing everything in newfoundland, haha.

steve you have any under the hood pictures? interesting.

cale

Hi Cale, thanks for your interest, here are a couple of pics of the engine bay:

More pics can be seen in my mustang album.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/79pace/Mustangs/

Cheers

Steve
    Steve B
    1979 Pace Car 2.3 Turbo
    1989 GT 5.0 Auto
    1980 Cobra

Was this an aftermarket conversion?

Well, it really is a strange one, apparently it was brought into the UK in late 1981 by the original owner and was converted to RHD soon afterwards. Athough I suspect not an official Ford conversion as the car seems to have been a personal import and not bought through a UK Ford dealer.

The guy we bought it from told us that he was never happy with the steering rack geometry and thought it was from an opel manta, so he decided to locate and buy a secondhand (Official Ford conversion) RHD donor car and swap over the front suspension and also the brake servo and master cylinder and firewall strenghening plate (which can be seen behind the brake servo in the above pics). He completed all most the mechanical swaps and then unfortunately his wife got ill and he didn't have a chance to finish the car.

Ford did offer "Official RHD converted" cars back in 79 - 81 as can be seen by the brochures here: http://foureyedpride.com/fep_bild/v/...bum05/album31/ but unfortunately I have not found any evidence of where they were converted. All I know is that you could order them through a small number of UK dealers at the time (13 in England & 1 in Scotland) Prices started at £8,400.00 for a 2.3 ghia and went up to £8,950.00 for a 3.3 ghia

Steve

Steve
    Last edited by 79pace; 10-20-2008 at 03:08 PM.
    Steve B
    1979 Pace Car 2.3 Turbo
    1989 GT 5.0 Auto
    1980 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by 79pace View Post
    Prices started at £8,400.00 for a 2.3 ghia and went up to £8,950.00 for a 3.3 ghia

Steve

Steve
    ouch!!! that a lot of $$$ even now!!! Could see myself converting my capri to RHD just to be different.

Quote Originally Posted by TL TTop Coupe View Post
    What rims are on this car? any pics?
    Not sure what they are or who makes them, but they are a little different

Steve
    Steve B
    1979 Pace Car 2.3 Turbo
    1989 GT 5.0 Auto
    1980 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    ouch!!! that a lot of $$$ even now!!! Could see myself converting my capri to RHD just to be different.
    It sure was a lot of money, when you consider that the RHD conversion wasn't all that, just look at this rear light cluster

or the cobbled together dash panel, yes they are parts of the original dash cut and screwed to the back!!

How on earth they got people to buy them in the first place was beyond me
    Steve B
    1979 Pace Car 2.3 Turbo
    1989 GT 5.0 Auto
    1980 Cobra

That taillight lens almost looks like it's from an older Ford Taunus or something. Very weird. Any updates?
    1979 Base Model Coupe- 351w, C4, 3.73s, the fun machine- Now getting a lot more well deserved mileage put on her!
    2007 Forest River Sunseeker 2200 Class C motorhome on an E-450 chassis. Oh yeah!
    2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV Premium- Marine Blue w/ 5-speed, awesome little car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast