Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    I swear, I'll never buy another sun roof Fox or anything with a vinyl roof. But, I have this thing for '69 Firebirds...
    I personally hate sunroof cars. The less headroom is a pain for me and the whole rust issues make them even worse IMHO.

I do understand the love for 69 Firebirds! I have one myself that I would love to have the time and money to work on!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Full metal roof or all-out convertible, or nothing at all.

That sure is a good looking bird. Definitely needs disassembly, some love, a bunch of $$$$, and reassembly. Is that a factory color? I don't even care if it's not, I'd be really tempted to keep it that color. 350/T350?

I like them in the burnt orange and the gold too - with a black top. It's hard to beat the look of a good color with a black vinyl top, on classic '60s coupes.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

You've pegged it right with the needs a bunch of $$$$. It has most of its parts but if I replace one hub center, the rest of them will look like crap so I have to replace them all. Same with everything else. The original color is comparable to what Ford called medium metallic blue but I'm not sure what the color it is now (which I like more). Stock 2bbl 350 and 4 spd Muncie. I will probably change to a 4 bbl and get the '69 Trans Am hood for it since the original hood is rusted clear through. And today, I saw a cheaper '69 on Craigslist but with a 400 (although it's missing a few parts). Oh well. If I learned anything, it's better to have one on hand than chase something that may be better.

I sanded the leaded sections of the donor roof today and uncovered some ugly dents and rust on the passenger front A-pillar joint. I never get a break. So now I have to decide if I should cut up the sunroof skin to fix the solid skin, cut up the donor to fix the sun roof, or bail and haul it all to the scrap yard.

I probably won't do the last unless I totally foul up welding up the messed up parts on either roof. Or, I could punt and blow another $150 on a donor roof but sand off the paint over the leaded sections to make sure they are solid.

Ugh.
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Wow, nice write up on the roof. hope you continue the updates.
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

Thanks!

Okay,

Finally managed to drill all the spot welds and cut the welds on the donor roof section.

That was a lot of spot welds...

And it wasn't a perfect donor:

Sigh. I'll have to somehow fix that and patch some rust pin holes.

One more thing I had to harvest from the donor roof since my car had a sunroof was the roof cross brace structure.

It has tabs which will fit on the '84 Notches roof side rail structures holes.

Here you can see I cut it loose from the donor roof section and test fitted it to the '84 Notch. Notice I have sanded to bare metal all the areas on the edge of the roof structure where I will need to weld in the donor roof skin.

So I tossed the donor roof skin on the notch for a test fit.

I will need to pay attention at the C and A pillar areas to make sure it fits correctly.

It looks so close - but I'm going to need to first paint some anti-rust paint on the under side of the donor skin and then clamp it in place and adjust it the best I can. It looks like it will over hang the front (windshield area) and back (rear window area) by about 1/16-1/8". Once I get close to welding I'll see if I can get it to fit better.
    Last edited by Dean_T; 07-07-2015 at 09:45 PM.

Wow dream, so great to see this progress, this is some great work

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by v8only View Post
    Wow dream, so great to see this progress, this is some great work
    Agreed. I read this stuff with interest. If I know how much work it is to fix something like this, I will take better care of the cars I have!

Were there that many spot welds required?
    Last edited by 82GTforME; 12-07-2015 at 07:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

[QUOTE=82GTforME;1743439]
    Quote Originally Posted by v8only View Post
    Wow dream, so great to see this progress, this is some great work/QUOTE]

Agreed. I read this stuff with interest. If I know how much work it is to fix something like this, I will take better care of the cars I have!

There are over 100 spotwelds. Ask me how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Think about the fact that all there is between your head and the ground in a roll over is the thin sheet metal of the roof and the brace that holds the dome light.

Yeah! I want at least that many spot welds so that sheetmetal stays on!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Looks like I maybe doing a roof skin and was wondering how the fitment is coming
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

No progress other than I did spray the weld through primer. I might be able to start on welding in the next couple weeks.

FEP Senior Member

Ok, so after reading all five pages of this thread and no update since December, I'm bumping this thing up...

I am about to swap a '92 drivetrain into an '80 chassis and talked to DIY Auto Tune about a Megasquirt set-up instead of the Ford - Ford crossing with harnesses and EEC-IV voodoo. After going through all the effort, would you do it again or gone aftermarket?

I think I am going with aftermarket ECU and harness and then an aftermarket set of gauges vs. wiring in the '92 EEC-IV computer haness and trying to make the '80 gauges work.

I also have a factory sunroof car (missing the vinyl headliner), and thankfully the sheet metal doesn't appear to be as bad as your turned out to be. I'm crossing my fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Think about the fact that all there is between your head and the ground in a roll over is the thin sheet metal of the roof and the brace that holds the dome light.

Yeah! I want at least that many spot welds so that sheetmetal stays on!

Trey
    Just 4 welds for me 'cause I would glue that pig on. Not goin' anywhere then!

Redneck Riviera, Fort Walton Beach Florida

Too bad the pics aren't visible anymore. I picked up an 84 LTD wagon this weekend, with an 86 harness, someone else's project that they got in over their head on.
    1985 LTD LX, Mach1 brakes, 17" Mopar police car wheels. 302, T5, 4.10s
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1986 FHP coupe, stock shortblock, TW heads, Holley SMII intake, 4.88, T5Z
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

Dean_T....tried to send you a PM, but it said your box is full....
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

Can photobucket suck anyworse?!?! Went to Deans photobucket page, trying to download some of the schematics he did up, but it's blocking them.....does anyone have them by chance?
    What happened with Dean, he hasn't been on here in over 2 years?

Can photobucket suck anyworse?!?! Went to Deans photobucket page, trying to download some of the schematics he did up, but it's blocking them.....does anyone have them by chance?
    What happened with Dean, he hasn't been on here in over 2 years?

Dean_T
    Last Activity Here
    12-24-2016 09:01 AM

If you use Chrome, and access his real address root directory,

522 photos and some 22 pages of photos

From Fuel Pump relay to front wiring....stem to stern

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p77/DeanT1965/
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p77/DeanT1965/83 Fairmont ....3 photos
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p77/DeanT1965/Lemons ....8 photos

1989 SEFi to Carb 1984 Notchback Mustang swap

Quote Originally Posted by David Claflin View Post
    Too bad the pics aren't visible anymore. I picked up an 84 LTD wagon this weekend, with an 86 harness, someone else's project that they got in over their head on.

Conversion wiring

Im so glad I found this..... Heres my problem as seen in my picture, the upper 2 connectors are from the ECU harness (black and grey female) and the 2 lower connectors ( both black 1 large and the other a small connector) So a little history on my 86..... the harness on both sides were hacked out when I got the capri so I had to find replacements I believe the ECU harness is out of a 89-90 as im going mass air but I dont remember what I got the dash harness out of. Im ready to blow my brains out! So I went to my local pick a part and found a 89 stang and grabbed 3 male connectors (2 black and a grey) and all have different colored wires so thats why im at a stand still. Should the connectors on the dash harness be "male"?Name:  thumbnail (6).jpg
Views: 604
Size:  123.1 KB
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Not sure where or how I missed this thread before but Awesome thread! Mad skills Dean! The EFI wiring the way you are doing it is not for the faint at heart for sure!

love the firebird also btw

the process I’ve recommended over the years is to find a clapped out “done dealing” type 86 V8 car that has the trans preferred in it. Then the entire harness swaps over. Early gauges need the 86 style circuit board or to be repinned, etc

Gives a car that is exactly how the 86’s were

purists can run factory speed density

plug and play guys can source a FMS SD to MAF kit and plug and play

guys that like the more mainstream MAF conversion can repin the ECU harness and add the wires

guys that like to mod can run the aftermarket speed density setup with closed loop wideband O2

etc.

huge respect for the approach taken and the steps documented here as well as the diagrams!
    Last edited by erratic50; 02-20-2019 at 08:36 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345