Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default My Poor '84 - Under Construction or Destruction?

Sometimes when the project gets too big or protracted, it's hard to tell the difference:

This is what it looked like when I finally brought it to the driveway a few months ago.

Here it is now! Fuel tank, rear end, shocks, tail pipe and muffler, fuel line and suspension have been unceremoniously ripped out. I guess standing the one ten hole up isn't fooling the neighbors...

Not much left under the rear - I still need to figure out where to drill the holes for the RH rear exhaust hanger bolts.

All this just to cram an '89 Mustang SEFI system into the '84 Notch!

Pulling the old fuel line wasn't so bad.

I hope installing the EFI fuel lines goes in as easy...

Dean T
    Last edited by Dean_T; 09-16-2008 at 02:12 AM.
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

FEP Senior Member At1Maverick69's Avatar

I am about to do the same thing to my 82 Black Magic, and I'm scared stright that I might lose interest, but also excited. But at least you have the fuel lines, I don't. Good luck on your project!
    *John*
    1982 GT-$old
    1984 Mercury Capri RS-5.0L, 5 speed, T-Tops-FOR SALE
    1979 Coupe-357ci, auto? stick? COMING SOON
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/At1Maverick

you're pushing it when all you have is a bare shell sitting on jackstands and two hi-lift jacks..ahh that brings back memories. BTW parts stores sell lengths of brake line that works very good for homemade fuel lines, ask me how i know..
    86' Coupe Street/Strip Never Ending Project-351w, 4 Wheel Disk, WC T5, etc...

Link to my car Pics:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v414/hyper7pbs/

Dean, I feel your pain. I will be doing all of this too in the near future on my 83 GT.

Looking good so far.
    -Mike Malone
    69 Mach1, 81 LX, 83 GT Turbo, 85.5 SVO 9L, 86 SVO 2A, 86 GT, 90 LX 5.0 - and a badass 84 LTD Wagon

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

heh..... What's with all the other car covers in the driveway?
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

Quote Originally Posted by anthonydalrymple View Post
    they have cars under them!
    '83 glx vert with '82 gt frontend

if you aren't trying to blow the horn with the signal lever and reaching for the key release button on your other vehicles,you're not driving the fox enough !

Keep up the good worke I started mine about 2years ago then I got sick and it went to my son, but hes happy with it
    Bulding a supercar one piece at a time

Neither here nor there

Quote Originally Posted by anthonydalrymple View Post

he's actually a diehard chevy fan and doesn't want us to notice.

Thanks all! LOL! The cars under cover.

Directly behind the '84 is the '65 half-a-fastback (it has the front half now). Project went in an unanticipated direction and lost interest.

Kitty corner to the '84, '78 Friggin' Futura. Still trying to figure out what to do with the wheel clearance problems and EFI fuel line issue. It's going to donate the rear end to the '84. I want to see what a Detroit Tru-Trac rear with 3.55:1 gears is like, dammit.

In front of the '78 Friggin' Futura. The '65 I6 Mileage Master Coupe project. Currently waiting for the engine and trying to figure out how to adapt a Fairmont Steering Column.

What you can't see in front of the half-a-fastback is a '66 T-bird. Two and a half tons of turd. Has the crappy 428 FE engine, not the famed 428 CJ that came out in '68.

I really hope I get this SEFI conversion done before I get the "while-I'm-at-it" bug.

Dean T

Okay, Some work has been done.

The EFI fuel tank, fuel pump, and tank shield is installed:

I've installed and removed it at least three times. If I have to pull it again, I'm going to blow up the GD car!

The next shot shows the bare '84 rear pan and the holes in the '86 pan for the Pinion Snubber. What couldn't be seen is where the rear brake line bracket is pop rivetted to the '86 pan - it is behind the LH upper arm support - you might be able to see what's left of the two pop rivets where the bracket was. Notice the '84's rear brake line bracket mounted where I need to hang an exhaust bracket.

Now, the rear brake line bracket and '86 Mustang rear brake line is installed:

Did you know the '84 fuel line follows the same path the SEFI EVAP lines are routed? They even use the same bolt holes:

I managed to mount up the fuel filter bracket. I need to tack weld it in place. Ford originally installed thick metal nut plates where the self tapping screws go but I just installed the screws straight into the thin sheet metal.

Ah, at last the pinion snubber is installed:

I didn't do any fancy measuring. I just eyeballed it and drilled holes. I had to use a die grinder with carbide bits to make the holes for the Tinnerman nuts. I tried to dimple the middle hole area but the cross member is pretty thick and I was afraid I'd weaken it if I bashed it in too far.

Next, tack weld the fuel filter bracket, install the EFI lines, install the cat back exhaust stuff, then swap in the 8.8" rear from the '78 Friggin' Futura.

I can't believe how long it took to get this far...

Dean T
    Last edited by Dean_T; 01-02-2009 at 01:59 AM.

Hey is that a factory sunroof I see in the coupe? you don't see many coupes with a factory sunroof... must be rare.

FEP Power Member

ya, im in the same process right now, i just stripped 2 mustangs right down to the bare shell, now i am putting my 85 gt back together, car i just bought was in south carolina al of its life, and a little secret, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the sc car is a 1991 lx, and my car is a 85 gt, my 85 is rusted pretty good, so figure the rest out on your own, haha.

K Pony, it is a factory Sun roof car. I'm not too thrilled since my '89 has a sun roof and in Southern Cal the sun blast right in and cooks my head. I'm going to see if I can weld in the brackets for the sun shade which the '79-'81 sun roof Mustangs had.

Okay, Here is the progress as of December 31st:

I managed to install the fuel lines and tack weld the fuel filter bracket. I noticed a difference in the front floor pan just behind the front RH (passenger) tire. Here is the 84's floor pan where it transitions to the firewall:

Here is an '86 version:

Notice where the notch is located on both pans - it's further inboard on the '86 pan. This notch is where the SEFI fuel lines and EVAP line is run on the '86-'93 SEFI Mustangs. It makes installing the SEFI fuel lines on an '84 a bit tight:

In the next picture, notice I haven't attached the last two brackets on the fuel lines. It interfered with the '84 passenger brake line. I'm going to have to relocate the brake hose bracket. Actually, I'll probably just get '86-'93 brake lines and bracket from the wrecking yard and swap over.

Here is a shot of just the SEFI brake and EVAP line installed on the '84. Those pop rivets are steel, which is what Ford used and are in the same location the later SEFI used. I can't remember what the '84 used to use the holes for but if you have an '84, you will know right away - before you yank out whatever it was the '84s had in there.

Oh, installing steel pop rivets is a PITA!

Here is the same area with the SEFI fuel lines installed. Notice another steel pop rivet on the SEFI fuel lines (I had to drill a new hole for this one). The plastic "plugs" on the frame rail were bought from a local hardware store. Ford used the same style plugs to attach the SEFI and EVAP line to the sub frame rail. You may be able to see the SEFI brake line installed with a steel pop rivet on the sub frame rail too. Do the brake line before the SEFI fuel lines and EVAP line.

In the seat pan area, Ford used the same brackets to attached the SEFI as the '84 used for the carb fuel lines. Oops! I forgot to drill a new hole and install a steel pop rivet for the SEFI brake line.

The terminus of the SEFI fuel lines. I had to drill a new hole and install a steel pop rivet here too. Just like the others, I installed a steel pop rivet because that where and what Ford did on the later SEFI cars.

Did you notice how much room there is to work with installing all the lines? This is why I installed them first before the rear suspension was installed:

Yup! Not much room with the rear tail pipes and suspension is installed. The 8.8 came from the '78 Friggin' Futura - it never used it. The 8.8 is packed with 3.55 rear gears and a Detroit Tru Trac rear.

I must detour a bit and explain how I installed an '86-'93 Passenger side exhaust hanger bracket (PEHB).

I didn't take "Before Mods" pictures of the '84 but it's passenger rear frame rail only had two dimples where an exhaust bracket could be hung. I noticed the '84's driver's side exhaust hanger backet is attached using two bolts unlike the '86-'93 which uses one bolt and a locating tab in a slot. Here is what an '86 rear passenger frame rail looks like. You can barely see the screw hole and the rectangular slot. This is what I recreated on my '84.

What I did was use a die grinder with a carbide bit. I used a cylindrical and a pointy narrow Christmas Tree shape bit. Sorry, don't know the real names of the bits. The '84 had two dimples and the one closest to the front of the car was in the right spot for the bolt hole like on the '86 frame rail. I used a carbide bit to open the hole up a tad to allow a self tapping bolt to thread in. The slot was harder to recreate. The slot hole is approximately centered around the second dimple. I took a rough measurement off the '86 slot hole from the floor pan and then marked the '84 in the same area. I used the '86-'93 RH exhaust hanger bracket as a guide also to locate the rectangular slot. I then opened up the second dimple (the one closest to the rear of the car) so it was big enough for the tab on the '86-'93 RH exhaust hanger bracket to go into the slot.

I had to grind on the slot some until the hanger part of the bracket (where the rubber part attaches) is the same distance from the floor pan as the driver's side bracket. Note, on my '84, I left the stock '84 exhaust hanger bracket since it looked like it was in the right spot. So far, it looks like I guessed right.

This next shot shows the wrecking yard Konis and some left over H&R springs I had laying around. Oh, I stole the FRPP upper control arms and Maximum Motorsport adjustible control arms from the '78 Futura also.

The last thing I did before I had to clean up and go to a New Years party:

TODAY, JANUARY 1, 2009.

Happy New Year and I hope it's a good one.

Nothing looks different but I did yank out the '84's T-5. The Harbor Freight trans jack is the bees knees. I was able to pull out the T-5 on the jack without raising the jack stands - I had to pull it out through the driverside wheel well but I did it with the 10 hole still installed! Ten Hole? Yes, the driver side spindle hasn't been swapped yet. The only reason why I swapped the passenger side was because the only way I could install the SEFI fuel lines with the fuel rails attached (I find it hard to separate the fuel rails and install them with the engine in place) was to yank the passenger side strut (and front sway bar, battery tray, solenoid, Thermac hoses, and air cleaner). Oh, I didn't show a pic of the '95 spindle and Bilstein strut I installed on the passenger side before hanging the temp tires on the car...

Next: Install a T-5Z trans with proper exhaust hanger and double hump crossmember. Here it is on the trans jack ready to go in:

If I'm lucky, I might be able to temp install some cruddy '86 factory manifolds on the '84's engine (I yanked off the passenger side manifold areadly for the SEFI lines installation) and mock up the X pipe install. I need to buy the rear E-brake cables for the Cobra rear brakes and install them.

Dean T
    Last edited by Dean_T; 01-18-2009 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by K PONY View Post
    Hey is that a factory sunroof I see in the coupe? you don't see many coupes with a factory sunroof... must be rare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooked_Dean_T View Post
    K Pony, it is a factory Sun roof car. I'm not too thrilled since my '89 has a sun roof and in Southern Cal the sun blast right in and cooks my head.
    I've got limo tint (5%) on anything I own that's got t-tops / sunroof. Can you not do that?
    Last edited by dburdyshaw; 01-02-2009 at 02:36 AM.

Dean T... what exhaust are you using? looks to me as the Dynomax Ultra Flo with the 304 stainless mufflers... if that's what it is I have that on my 86 coupe, good quality and sounds good.

Nice work Dean!
    Man I can not believe how clean cars are out west. Around here, cars have more rust on them new sitting on the dealer's lots. You need to start sending cars back east for the rest of us!

FEP Member

Yeah really...nice clean coupe. Must be nice living in CA.

I managed to find a super clean 4 eyed coupe where I am but it was just super lucky

Looks to be coming along nicely.
    +
    ++
    +++
    ++++

Fun is fun, and done is done!

Looking good.
    1990 SuperCoupe 300hp
    19841/2 1E Mustang GT con&%@$able (bone stock)
    1958 Chrysler "Hemi" 2 door hard top w/ 392 Hemi 10:1, 2x4 crossram intake, '55 ported/polished heads; I 2.00/E 1.75 (restoration project)
    1931 Model A 5 window coupe ("Hemi" hotrod project)
    8 3/4 rearend.

Thanks all, I didn't get the new trans in today. Weather didn't cooperate and I can't find the correct dual exhaust hanger that is sandwiched between trans and trans mount.

I added a bit regarding the passenger side exhaust hanger bracket.

Dburdyshaw: My '89's sun roof had near opaque tint and it still doesn't seem like it's enough.

KPony - you have sharp eyes. The cat back is Dynomax with Ultra Flows. I hope they aren't too loud...

After trans comes the hard part: Electrical wiring, brakes, and an engine.

Dean T

looks good .....a project in the works
    built 93 and the new kid on the block 85 GT

Very nice coupe good info, keeping coming

Nice work Dean! Thanks for keeping us posted.

this is a great writeup! i looked around for ever for pics of that rear brake line bracket, having never seen one in person and it was hard to find, this should be stickyed or something, great work!
    1979 capri, a mess, 86 efi

actually, i noticed that your 84 has the same rear floorpan as the rest of the newer cars, do the early cars have a larger spare tire well? and if so, does these account for the differences in the gas tank mounts and straps? sorry to threadjack
    1979 capri, a mess, 86 efi

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast